This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  skeettx 2 years ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

This has been a work in progress for some time now. I’m almost finished.

I I still have to rub a few more coats into the stock (AAA grade Bastogne walnut) clock the screws, and cut the checkering, but its assembled and ready to test fire/function check it.

There are so many great details on this rifle that I am proud of. Take a look:

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

JRR 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 84
    • Overall: 107

That is beautiful Tim.

If you still have it, I suggest replacing the magazine retention box with a metal one from DIP.  The stock plastic one will melt with some solvents.  I know first hand!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The rifle is finished. I took it to the photographer and then drove it to Ft.Smith Arkansas to hand deliver it to it’s owner. It was awesome. The same guy who hasseled me insuferably to finish this project was awestruck with the final product. We hung out and talked for about an hour, but when it was time to leave, he pulled the hat off my head and hugged my neck. That made it all worth it.

http://goodsteelforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/46231/nmh7t85qh286evk0kiezda940n3vohx1.jpg

The stock has countless coats of finish hand rubbed into it.

Notice the butt plate. It was smoked and scraped into place, then hand checkered and color case hardened.

The checkering is 22 LPI with a full 360 degree wraparound wrist. You don’t find that sort of thing just anywhere. Not to toot my own horn too loudly, but there are very few that could pull this off and make it look good. It took over 40 hours at the cradle to make this happen.

Here you can see the top of the wrist, and also the 50 yard 10 shot group. For the record, that’s 10 shots in .350 inches at 50 yards with CCI AR Tactical copper plated ammo.

Notice if you will how all the screw slots line up with the direction of the rifle. They were each tuned to perfection at torque. Two of them are custom made from scratch, and they are all nitre blued.

Here’s another shot of the checkering. Again, I don’t mean to brag, but just feast your eyes on that superb quality. It’s nearly flawless.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m so glad this is finished. This job has been constantly on my mind for about a year straight. Sweet freedom!!!

Wheel Gun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 43
    • Overall: 45

Holy moly what a beautiful job. Your workmanship is incredible. I know if that were my project I’d s one kinda of proud! – WG

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

Yeeee Hawwww

Great job, thank you for posting this

Mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.