Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

Since there is generally a dearth of something to read on here, I’m going to post these pics of test targets:

The one on the bottom right of the target is a Remington 700 with a 12 twist Krieger chambered to .308 Win in a McMillan M40A1 stock. The load is 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Ammo. This barrel is still in the break in stage.

on the top right is my “scout” rifle, a Remington 700 SPS .308 with barrel trimmed to 20″ (I know, not really a scout). It has a Leupold VX-1 2-7×33. The load is a Hornady 150 gr over 44 gr of IMR 4064 in Hornady brass with a Winchester WLR primer.

Each is 3 shots at 100 yards. The test is whether or not I can still hit a target.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Here are the rifles:

Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 17

Looks like you passed the test.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

😁 Yeah, I practice as often as possible.

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Nice shooting
      Rudy Reyes won the CBA National match Hunter Div. with the same rifle sps 308 w/ 20″ barrel

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks! Mine was originally a 24″ barrel. It was accurate then but became better after it was shortened. Also, I put about 100 shots through it during break in about 5 at a time followed by Remington 40X bore cleaner which is abrasive. The instructions caution against getting the stuff in the action and trigger.

The Krieger barrel on the other one is so smooth that 40X would likely degrade the accuracy. Today it got five shots from a clean barrel. The first two are far enough away from the last three that they are out of the “group”. You can see the first shot to the lower right.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Very nice rifle with the McMillan stock and Krieger barrel. Dressed for success. I wish you had shot ten into a group after popping two into the berm. That would no doubt be very impressive.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I will at some point. It is still in break in so it is getting a limited number of shots between cleanings. When I first started the process I thought I had gotten a really bad barrel as they were generally going into about 5-6″ groups. This and a group last trip out are the first to come together. “Impressive” is relative. Up until now I have not been impressed with Krieger barrels. I have an SPS Varmint in .308 Winchester that shoots much better. Groups from it run in the .250-.300″ range.

https://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulletin.net/forum/bolt-action-rifles/5381-remington-marlin-quality#post5381

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

oldblinddog;n11753 wrote: I will at some point. It is still in break in so it is getting a limited number of shots between cleanings. When I first started the process I thought I had gotten a really bad barrel as they were generally going into about 5-6″ groups. This and a group last trip out are the first to come together. “Impressive” is relative. Up until now I have not been impressed with Krieger barrels. I have an SPS Varmint in .308 Winchester that shoots much better. Groups from it run in the .250-.300″ range.

https://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulleti…ality#post5381

Krieger is the most popular brand I use and my personal favorite. If you’re having that much break in and accuracy issues, then the chamber was reamed incorrectly. A rifle built by me with a Krieger barrel in a bottle necked cartridge will do less than 1″ for ten shots at 100 yards with the first load (assuming quality components are used) or I’ll eat my Stetson.

If you ever want me to look at that rifle holler at me. I doubt there’s anything there that can’t be corrected with a little TLC. There are many on this forum who know how my rifles shoot.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.