Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Brodie
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 5

I recently purchased a circa 1940 9.3×57 on a Mauser 98 action.
      Can anybody please offer any suggestions as to moulds or molds that work well in this cartridge? I bought it for hunting Elk and Black Bear here in N. Arizona. Besides that I seems to be the European equivalent of the .358 Rem and .358 Win. Both excellent rounds, but I prefer the selection of .366 molds and bullets to what is available in .358.
      I want to hunt with my own cast bullets, and personally feel that 30cal is the minimum. Besides that I wanted a new toy.
      Thanks

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 30

NOE has a dandy 9.3 mould, may want to check it out.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=153

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Blammer;n3950 wrote: NOE has a dandy 9.3 mould, may want to check it out.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=153

second that

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Pics of the new toy???:D

Brodie
      Participant
      • Bronze

I don’t have the new toy in my hands yet, but that is a very pretty mould Blammer and is one I have been looking at.
      If you are interested you can see a whole bunch of them at Simpson Ltd. They are selling Husquavarna’s at very reasonable prices. Mine is on a mauser 98 action and will need some stock work, but I figured that if I ever got the bug I could make a 9.3×62 out of it easily. The rest are 96 Mauser actions, and are very pretty rifles. I wish I could buy a couple.
      Brodie

northernsmith
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 2
      • Overall: 2

They are often larger in diameters. .366 is the metal condom measurement. The cartrige is a exellent 100 to I guess maybe 150 yards.
      Congrats ! Great rifle and cartridge !!

Paul G
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

Be sure to slug the barrel when you get it, don’t be surprised to find it bigger than .366, mine is .370-.371

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 37

Be careful on that Simpsons site, besides the Mausers there are a lot of interesting toys to see. I highly recommend visiting that shop if you can get to Galesberg IL. I have a late a very early S&W m41 purchased there.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Where does a person find 9.3mm Gas Checks?
      http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=843
      Found some Gator Checks at NOE

Brodie
      Participant
      • Bronze

I apologize for posting and having run.
      Yes, that Simpson site has a lot of toys available. It would be too easy to spend all my money there. Most interesting are .222 and 12ga. over under combos. One would be perfect for hunting coyotes and cats in the brushy creek bottoms around Cottonwood.
      At this point the 9.3×57 is listed as on hold. It may be in transit or not yet in the shop in Illinois. Rest assured that I will both slug the bore and do a chamber cast before I order a mold.

Does any body have experience with NOE’s push through and nose sizing system? It looks like it would be a lot easier to store than a bunch of Lee push through set ups.

I will try to get a picture of the new toy off of Simpson’s web site.

Thank you all for the comments and advice.

Paul G
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

I used to use GC’s for 375, not a perfect solution but workable.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well, it was just too tempting. Doc44 and I ordered a couple of the 46 Husqvarna’s in 9.3×57.
      I’ve got dies, brass and bullets ordered. I’m thinking of going with the Accurate 37-250B . It looks like the shank is the perfect length. I wish the Meplat was a little wider, but I think it’ll do. After they get here, I’ll do a chamber cast, then order the mold to fit the throat.

Looking at the loading data, shows a max pressure of only 45ksi, but the same Swede 96 action is chambered in 6.5×55 which has a pressure of 55k. So it would seem safe to load the 9.3 a little warmer as well.
      With loading up to 55k, you should be able to get a 250 going 2500fps, or the 270 Speer to 2350ish

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

NOE sizers need some design work, very good quality. Nose sizer has no beveled entry (Dilly rounded his to get it to work), Sizing band length of body is too long – takes a lot of force to push through. Soft aloy and base first will probably deform the nose.

Brodie
      Participant
      • Bronze

I contacted Simpson Ltd. last Sat. and found that my rifle had been put on hold as I had not informed my FFL to add a note as to which purchase it was in relation to. Simpson has since told me that the rifle is now in the shipping que. Brodie

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

That’s a bummer.
      I’ve been trying to find load data, and have found a good long thread here:
      http://thehunterslife.com/forums/arc…p?t-12498.html

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.