Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I just traded into a 700 ADL in 243. It is an older wood stocked model in excellent condition. If I load four rounds and start working them through the action, the second round, about 25% of the time will not eject. The case head seems to hang up on the left side of the receiver. It is only the second round and only about one in four tries. Any ideas?

BK7saum
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

I guess I don’ understand the hanging up on the left side of the receiver when ejecting. The case head is captured within the bolt as the case is pulled from the chamber and has no contact with the receiver during ejection.

If youre talking about feeding out of the magazine and getting hung up on the left feed rail, then the magazine box seems out of spec (a little too wide) on the left side and the case head is hanging up under the left feed rail.

To check, disassemble and look at the barreled action from the bottom with the magazine box snapped/set in place in the cutout of the action. You should be able to see that there is a little bit more feed rail showing on the left side.

Brad

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’ll  post a pic when I get a chance. It is during extraction not during feeding. I put a new box, follower and spring in it and still have the same issue. It seems to be coming off the bolt face and the case head is getting stuck between the receiver rail and the top of the feed rail.

BK7saum
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

Sounds like your ejector may be stuck or gummed up and not pushing hard enough or out quite far enough. That let’s the case slide out from underneath the extractor.

If you can pull the ejector and clean the channel, that might solve your problem. Also check the edge of the channel for a burr. Worst case, you replace the ejector spring. Sometimes brass shavings can get in there and bind the ejector or retard it’ movement.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The problem is in your bolt face plain and simple. Best thing to do is replace your extractor and ejector and get on with life. Leave the questions of why to the philosophers while you enjoy range time. Those parts are too cheap to lose a second’s sleep over it.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thank you gentlemen. I just ordered all new parts.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just a heads up, I always order two extractor clips. They are just springy enough to get them in the bolt without taking a set too loose. Seems I always screw up one changing them out. Trust me: bend the clip JUST ENOUGH to get it in the bolt face. if you go too far, it will be loose and rattling in there. Be deft putting it in.

PS: bending it back out after you go too far doesn’t work. It’s a one shot deal.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the heads up. On a different note, can a 700, 7 mag action be used for standard length cartridges by just swapping out the bolt and bottom metal?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yes. In fact, I think the bottom metal is identical. All you may need to change is the bolt and the follower. I compared a 300 WinMag with a 30-06 and the win mag would keep and strip 30-06 cartridges.

This is easily tested. Just stuff 30-06, 308, 270 or what have you in the action and see if it keeps and strips. Don’t pull the trigger, just see if the cartridges function through the action properly. I’ll bet they will and it’s too easy to find out.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I got sticker shock looking at bolts.They want more for a bolt than I paid for the rifle.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Yup…. they do

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.