Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It was a challenge to come up with the 3 gun ideal kit for the 4 kids . Pistol , rifle , shotgun , they shared two 22s .
      the oldest of the grands and the one living with me has begun to ask getting a license and shooting a real gun . Apparently at the brink of out growing the Red Ryder ……

The 22LR is coming back for a while anyway but I think I want them to have the option for a plinking round of something that can be reloaded .

Among the loose nuts rolling around are a single shot bolt gun of the fall in the mud class . A nice clean H&R NEF like single would be ok with me , Savage is doing a shotgun now in 410 ,20&12 , so there’s hope . I have enough game slayers to cover basically anything they might run into this side of Ecuador , there’s a 10ft armadillo down there ….
      For cartridges I’m really thinking maybe an all 32 pistol cartridge , 30 Carbine , 25 auto , 5.7 maybe . If I go up maybe something capable of 357 max but fitted for 38 short or a 380 capable of handling 9mm Win mag ……
      That of course brings me back a single shot Axis in 223 ….. Too much of what I’m looking for ……

So let’s wish book this and throw some bones out here .

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Know you’ve heard this a million times – 300AAC bolt or break action. Mild to wild, cheap to load. Does it’s job on anything & everything. Saw a box of Rems at WW for $12.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I might look for a couple of 325/340 Savages​ I have a 97 gr bullet that whacks that 4″ steel at 60 yd in the 325 30-30 so that’s an open option too .
      i was really thinking of a single shot that they can grow into that will keep them interested . Something that sounds cool . I want to avoid the 300 mostly because I have 223s . While the argument against 358 into an 06′ rings clear the 06′ Savage,760 and 1903A3 really can’t be mistaken for a 98′ .
      The x 39 might be ok and do an Ackley in a Carcano …..
      Plug and play is more what I’m thinking here , exotic but not put in the weeds …….

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

GK just built an AR223 but I had to take my BO pistol away from him last time. I’ve never shot a 223, no interest. Maybe something between BO and 40WT? Same neck but longer case, shorter throat for like 180 gr supers in a SS bolt gun. Gets you into 30/30 range or really fast 120s. Good truck or range gun. Much better performance than x39.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Don’t Tell anybody but a 200 gr in a x39 can be shoo’d along at 1600 and fit in an sks mag . I don’t know where to go with the platform .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Cartridges available with available gear .
      22-250
      256 Win
      257 Roberts
      25-06′
      ​​​​​​264 WM
      7×6.8
      7-30 Waters
      7×57
      30-30
      06′
      300 WSM
      300 WM
      32 Rem
      338 WM need moulds
      38 S&W
      38 Special
      358 Win
      375 H&H need moulds
      40 S&W need brass for a 10 mm
      45 ACP/GAP/Rowland etc
      45 AR , Schofield , Colts
      45 Raptor
      460 S&W with brass
      Yep that’s it .

I’m leaning towards a bolt gun , among other things it can be single shot equipped until she/they are legally hunting stand alone and the off season . One shot skills vs that fast follow up miss until the mag is empty . I don’t have a single single shot .
      I do have an 03A3 with a magazine​ cut off ……..

I wonder if I cod trade the 03′ off for a couple 325/340s ?

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Well I have a .300BO, yep it will do what it needs to. As would IMO the old .30-30 in a single shot. Checked the new Henry single shots? Or the CVA’s?

Yesterday I took delivery of a 16″ .45acp chamber adapter for my H&R 20 ga single shot.

Now I have not shot it yet. But if I can get any kind of minute of bunny accuracy at 25 yards out of that I may just have a winner. 20 ga is already versatile and this will just make it more so. 116$ delivered from Ebay. Slips quietly and easily into the 20, and a factory FMJ drops easily into the adapter.

I’ll want some time to play with this girl before making any recommendations.

As for the OP, you might want to consider a .223 single shot. I have one and find it very easy to load for. You can choose how much power/range and noise you want. From full house jacketed loads down to 4.5 grains of Red Dot below the Bator cast bullet with no gas check.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I know you said single shot or bolt action, so please forgive my abstract recommendation, but I have found the little Rossi 44 magnum to be the PERFECT kids gun.
      1. It shoots fast enough to keep them interested but not fast enough to teach them to burn ammo.
      2.Even at low recoil, it’s enough to knock over a deer,
      3. The butt stocks are cheap enough from Boydes that you could have three different lengths for the various age kids.
      4. The action is easy for a small person to work.
      5. The rifle is light enough for a small person, or an inexperienced person to shoot without feeling the need to touch the ground behind them with their ponytail.
      6. There are plenty of westerns they can watch to boost the cool factor and see people using rifles like that correctly.
      7. If they break, there’s parts available.
      8. You can attach a Skinner peep and teach them to shoot looking through the hole.
      9. Even if the kids grow up and still shoot that rifle, it will still be useful to them.
      10. Lever actions are more awesome than single shots………

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve been scouring prices today , it doesn’t matter which way I go ……..it’s all about the same …..

The lop , thread and chamber 7×57 is looking better , 275 Rigby is always classic cool . There’s another big Reno not far off . It’s amazing how now perfect choices I’ve passed as not something I needed/wanted ……..

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I seem to have written and lost this several times …….

I found a pretty good deal on a couple of Savages in 223 .

The 110/Axis should grow with them . I have 2 06′  barrels and a 7×57 as spares and a 473 bolt face isn’t a bunch of money . I have a Savage barrel nut wrench and a HS gauge for 7×57 . We should be ready to go .

I’m thinking 2-3 gr of Unique or Red Dot for a dinky 225-37 for LR/mag performance for now .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Only seven?

You might be getting by easy.

I am including nephews/nieces in my plans for who-gets-what.

I’m still deciding on if 1:2 is the ratio to use when divvying up the loot.

Then, some nephews are showing more interest than some children. Makes for more difficult decisions.

At this point, I plan on the money going to children, but the plunder going to those who show the most interest.

Is a “living trust” the way to go? More than a few of us are probably pondering this.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

No blood nieces or nephews . Just 4 of my own 6 girls and a boy . The oldest girl and her husband hunt , the younger girl has a love of art and BP . Grands 1&3 enjoy shooting and going hunting . Too soon to know if it will stick , elbow deep guts one time might change everything .
      They got Red Riders for Christmas 15′ . The oldest , 10 going on 16 has been shooting a 22 and my 222 , not well but probably not any worse than any kid getting started .

It’s not just my guns but but a fair number of heirloom guns as well . A 1957 M70 06′, a 1968 700 BDL bull barrel white line ebony tipped 25-06′ , half a dozen M12s from 1916-1966 , an M37 that probably hasn’t 200 rounds through it ever …..16 gauge .

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.