This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
     todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 29
    • Overall: 40

late this summer, i plan to buy a new ruger mini 30(wood stock) in 7.62×39. when it comes time i can’t shoot my big bores, it will be my close-in(100 yards and less) deer gun. now i don’t want the mini 30 to be an “ammo dump”. i’ll reload everything, cast or jacketed bullets, never a fmj, i don’t like them. i think i’ll buy a 123gr sst and/or a 150+/-gr fn gc cast boolit. it will be scoped with a 2-7x or 3-9x leupold. i’m planning on going 2 – 3″ at 100 yards, 3 – 5 shots.

what do you all think?

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 93
    • Overall: 105

Only shot the ruger mini 30 one time. I liked the look of it. It was very well made to me. The sks I bought back in 1988 was a lot higher than the newer imports of the 90s. It was around 200$ then.I found out my sks was a actual Chinese military and not made just for import. It would shoot slightly better at 200 yards than the 30 but not by much.That sks would shoot. I could get 3in groups  easy with it. The newer import sks wouldn’t even come close. The lee 160 gr GC bullet works really good for me. Never tried it past 100 yards. It shoots great as cast lubed with 45/45/10  white label lube. I always liked the look of the  ruger mini 30 or 223 but they where always just a little bit to high for me. The EC Harris bullet that lee makes should be a good one it works great in my gun.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

thanks!!!

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 93
    • Overall: 105

As for a hunting bullet in the sks I have never found one to open up always acted like a fmj. I have never used the premium billets for it like the sst. I have used the Sierra 30/30 flat nose hollow points in 308 diamiter. They actually shot decent. But they can jam and they quit making the 125 gr. Only have the 150 pro hunter available. I have also used the .308 diameter 150 gr pistole bullets thin jacket. If I remember 30 years ago they worked good on dear. The last two years I have used the wolf brand 150 gr lead tip but don’t know how they work

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 520
    • Overall: 574

I found  7.62×39 to be accurate in a bolt action, if you buy good ammo.

That round is smaller case than our 30-30, but it runs a a little higher pressure, so I give it approx a wash as for power.

If you cast good alloy, matched for 7.62×39 speed, I so no reason it would fail on deer.

With my little bubba’d M98 in 7.62×39, I have shot heavy 30 cal cast in it, and it chambered ok. I have chrono’d it to similar speed/weight as 30-30.

Your milage may vary.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

i was at my lgs today and they had a cz 572 in 7.62×39. fortunately i didn’t have the money to buy it!!!!  but now i have a dilemma, do i want a ruger mini 30 or a cz 572?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Get the CZ,

put it on lay-a-way, or credit card, whatever it takes.

I shot the Zastava clone of that, sweet.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 176
    • Overall: 205

I have the CZ in 223 and really love the single set trigger on it.

This one is definitely on my do not sell list.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

your not helping!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 94

Here is another option  with .311″ groove bore which has gotten great reviews on several gun channels.   I have three SKS rifle from three different countries, so I have the 7.62 x 39 pretty much covered and have reloaded and shot jacketed as well as cast loads in them all for longer than I can remember.

Some pretty good options still out there on jacketed bullets, Hornday SP an SST, PPU makes a SP as well as Barnes still make 123 gr. hunting bullets for larger game, Hornady and Noslar also make 123 gr. varmint bullets as well.

As to cast lead that’s what my SKS rifle have had a pretty steady diet of for the last ten years.  I mainly shoot the Lee .312″ gas check 160 gr. tumble lube RN or the .312″ 185 gr. RN bullets, I also shoot a NOE 155 gr. .314″ gas check FP bullet as well, I pretty much powder coat them all these days.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  reloader762.
     Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 776
    • Overall: 845

I’m no more help than others .
    I’d go for the CZ also for your described use .

For the cartridge I would go with something like the Lee 312-155 cast soft and HT . I did that with a drill press special custom 200 gr and it worked well in testing but never made it to the field . Depending on length limits with a single fed 200 gr I could get 1800 fps out of a 24″ SKS .
    With all of that I would lean towards more conventional FP types of cast .
    Probably any bullet suitable for 30-30 in jacketed would work fine . It seems like Speer offered a 123 SP specific for the x39 . I seem to remember it having a point slightly out of proportion to it’s shape almost like a 110gr RNSP jacket was used for Spitzer .

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

why do i think that cz is for me!!!!!!!!!

(shaking head, smiling and lol)

what i do like about cz is the trigger! cz is coming closer to me!!!!

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I have shot cast in my M98 7.62×39, and chrono’d some of it.

With the Lee 150, 155, 170 RN, you can load a full house load ~ 2200-2400 fps. in the bolt action.

And then look at the RPM threshold theory for that twist rate, and it is riding on a sweet spot.

I think it is a what they call a efficient cartridge, you get a lot of umphfff for the amount of powder burnt.

And it is also the basis for the PPC benchrest calibers, 22PPC & 6mmPPC.

If you jazzed it up you get a .30PPC

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 304

There was a CZ in my local shop in 222 Rem on the used rack.  It was gone the next week.  Somebody knew what he was buying.  Better grab that CZ while you still can….

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

i’m glad that you all like the cz!!! but i have to wait on buying it. should be late summer/early fall. all of my money is tied up in a husqvarna m46 in 9.3×57. my gunsmith has to d&t for a scope mount, bolt handle needs rebent and it will need a two position safety. i have to buy a scope for it, it will be a leupold 2-7x.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 176
    • Overall: 205

Sorry for the thread drift here…

Just saw the Husky 9.3×57 thread and posted it there instead.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 532
    • Gold

Todd

I think the Mini 30, especially the newer ones, will fit your needs very well.  I wouldn’t over scope it though.  I have shot numerous mini 15 and 30’s over the years and have found a 1 x4 or, preferably a Leupold 1.5×5 to be much better as they are more compact and much quicker to use on 1 or 1.5x (you can keep both eyes open) for short range quick shooting.  At 4 or 5x you will have all the magnification needed for a short range rifle…..probably more than is needed or will be actually used……based on my own experience with rifles scopes as such when used at 200 yards or less…..most often the scope stays set on the low end power.

Loaded with 123 – 125 jacketed Winchester, Hornady, Sierra or Speers over 4227 they duplicate milsurp velocity and psi with much better accuracy.  The Speer 130 gr FP 30-30 bullet also shot very well in one Mini 30 I shot it in.  At 2250 fps it makes for a very effective deer bullet within the range you mention.

Larry Gibson

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Larry Gibson.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us