Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

RCBS 7.62×39-130-SPL. Weighs out about 140 with check and PC (HF red), sized to .312+ in a [‘cleaned out’ ala Buckshot] Lee push thru die. I loaded some over 22.0/H116 and they shot really well @ 50 yds. Surp 4759 was going into pressure (really flattening primers) that I was not comfortable with. This is a pretty neat bullet!

Have I EVER mentioned that I like RCBS molds? Hint: First time was early on the old shooters board. First prize for correct answer is 20 trillion dollars…, paid out at $1 per year for 20 trillion years. That way, if you want to pay off the national debt, you can commit up front!

Hey, gotta have fun with it!

Anyone else tried this bullet?

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze

Nobody has tried this bullet? I cast some more of them today, and the mould is superb. Looking forward to a warmer day to PC and then load and then launch.

BTW as far as I can tell H116 is about them same speed as AA1680.

Or is it the lottery? Really?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve never tried that bullet personally, but in general, I agree with you about RCBS molds. Very high quality for the money!
      As to the rifle you are using, most of my cast bullets are confined to lever action, bolt and single shot actions. Never played with cast in any semi-automatic except my M1A, and I abandoned that practice because I think it is contrary to the MO of my rifle.
      That said, If I had a rifle such as you describe (and I have shot one) it would be on like donkey Kong. Very interesting project.
      Do you have any plans to see how it does at longer ranges?
      What PC do you use, and how are the bullets prepped?

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

A few years back I shot an AK carbine, got a ding in the forehead fro the scope. Never touched once since. I use a 145 RNFP PB PCd in BO, can’t cast & coat fast enough. At 2100 fps, pretty close to 30/30 jacketed. Accurate too. Cast another 250 last nite and started sizing. Finishing BLL on 200 40SW soft alloy this morning.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze

Tim, press on gas check, run thru a .314 push thru die, then PC’d with HF red. Push thru a lapped die for finish at .312+.

Next will be to try some of Smoke’s blue and bacon grease powders. Just for grins.

I’m also going to try some PC’d RCBS 30-165-SIL. Looks like they are large enough for a good bore seal. Might do that today….

I have only 50 yards out back right now that I plan to extend to 100 at some point. When I get back out to the club I can shoot any distance out to 300, so that is on the list to try also.

I have a RCBS top punch coming for that 7.62×39-130-SPL that should be here today or tomorrow. Maybe I’ll try some FWFL thru a H&I die.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze

I loaded up some of the PC’d 308-165-SIL over 20.0/2230-C (about AA2460 burn rate). Performance on the target is VERY good. I had a bit of a feed issue with two that would not fully load into the chamber due to nose diameter. This is a PC thickness issue, but worth playing with based on accuracy. Those two that had a problem were spun on a sand paper and then work fine. This is a vert small amount to work with, but a tight fit is good, as long as it is dependable. It was raw 34dF today with a north wind, so testing was a bit limited. What I got today is worth working on. I am pleased so far.

Top punch for the 7.62×39-130-SPL did not arrive today. That bullet is very pointed, and none of my several dozen top punches come close to accommodating it. It will help having it.

This is a fun little short rifle/carbine, even though ARs are far down my list.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That’s pretty cool sundog. I’ve run into that on PC before, and I believe one of the hardest parts is getting a consistent coating on the bullets. That’s why I tumble them in the airsoft BBs. A buddy of mine locally has done some pretty amazing things with suppressed 300BLK SBR AR rifles and PC bullets. He tumbles them lightly in the stuff. They look like hammered horse manure with little holes all over in the PC, but it’s consistent in thickness. His philosphy is, he doesn’t care what they look like because he can’t see them flying anyway. I personally witnessed him hit a 2′ square steel gong at 500 yards almost every time. This was impressive since his scope was cranked up as far as it would go, and he was aiming for the treetops behind the target. Feeding was flawless, precision was acceptable, and accuracy was too. He has since harvested several deer with these loads.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.