Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

Anyone else play with the 500 ?
      I have a John Ross Performance Center 5″.
      That cannon is a hoot with about 85% potential loads using a Lee 465 GC boolet.
      I have an NOE mould that throws 430, 475, 520, and 570g boolets – a real streamlined slug. not the blunt bludgeon of the Lee.
      Max loads with the “normal” 325 / 350g slug are not too bad; get the weight up, hold on, this thing can hurt you !

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

I occasionally load up 20 and go hurt myself. After 20 I am finished, and I don’t mind recoil in pistols. I mainly shoot jacketed 500 grainers. As far as molds go I have a lightweight 420 grain hollow point MP mold that is gas checked and has a very short bearing surface. It leaves probably 80% of the bullet out of the case (it is a JR design that utilizes the long cylinder to allow for more room for powder (like this cartridge really needs that LOL).

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

I use the Lee 440grgc with varing loads of Trail Boss. With 7gr of TB,you can watch the bullet fly down range.I don’t recommend that light of a load. I only shot 1 round with that light charge. If I really want to hurt myself, I load the 440gr with H110. Ouch. 5 is all I can handle.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I have the 4″ S&W and a 7.5″ BFR. I have a scope on the BFR and it really tames down the recoil making it almost pleasant to shoot. I mostly shoot the 440gn Lee with 4227. I have shot the 700gn bullets, but they are mostly just a novelty.
      I bought the S&W cheap, it only had 5 rounds through it. The story was this guy walks into the gunshop having a midlife crisis, buys the 500 and a box of ammo. A couple of hours later, here comes the same guy to sell the gun back with the box of ammo with only 5 rounds gone, lol.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 9

My wife bought me a 500 for our 25th anniversary. We are now going on 37 and she still hasn’t shot it. I load the Lee 440gr cast over H110. I used to love shooting that load but now the recoil is getting a little more than I can handle. I’ve tried Trail Boss and have found that is almost too light. If I’m going to shoot a beast of a gun I want it to do more than go “phtuuuy”. I’m trying to find a powder somewhere between the two but haven’t ran across it yet.

Denny

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Unique might be a start.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 6

I have the John Ross version also. John says he can get 2000 f.p.s. with his design 400 gr. out of this gun. More power to him. My first loads were his 450 gr. bullet at around 1300. It was more than enough for me. Guess I’m getting wimpy in my old age.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I don’t know how you could get a 400gn bullet up to 2000fps in the 5″ barrel without getting 90k psi

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

lar45, I know what you mean, it sounds pretty high. I used to have a copy of his loads that he had on his website copied off but the site is no longer available. The loads were pretty much listed for his bullet design with very long noses and short shanks in the case for more powder room. But still…

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Hey Boar, I think I still have a printout of that data – I’ll look tonight. BTW, Anyone know what happened to Mr Ross ? – He sure specced out a great gun !

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yes, no doubt a very nice gun.
      Now I wish that I would have gotten in on the deal when they were putting it together. At the time I already had my 4″ and didn’t read all the details about the faster twist to shoot the monster bullets.
      If you find that printout of load data, I’d be interested in seeing a copy of it.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Found the data. I’ll PDF it tomorrow and figure out where to host it and get it up.
      Or anyone pm me your email and I’ll send it.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

As a teaser : 400g cast, 48g WC820, 1920f/s noted as “near max – easy extraction”. Depending on gun might get to 2000. Yikes !
      510g at 1700.
      640g at 1380.
      725g at 1200. Now I’ve shot mine a lot, I’m getting comfortable with something like an 85% load with a 465g cast, doing ~1500 f/s – no way I’m touching off a 725 at 1200 f/s !!!!
      As was said above, most of the data is for his design bullet – short shank, long nose.
      I have the Lee 465g and a NOE that casts Johns design in 430, 475, 520, and 570g.
      A load that is reasonable with his 475 craters primers and has hard extraction with the Lee 465.
      John really likes WC 820, but there are a few “normal” powders in there too.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

here is the data from Gunslinger1911

http://www.lsstuff.com/misc/j-ross500data.pdf

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Super, thanks Lar45 ! Pic is showing the 430, 475, 520, and 570g JR designed slugs along with the Lee 465g. Yes, that’s Carnauba Red ! The PDF is straight from John’s web site a few years ago. No access to that site now, don’t know what happened – I remember he had some health issues. I’m gonna say John was not very recoil sensitive, some of these loads are an event ! If you are used to 325-350g factory loads, work up to these slowly, this is a whole ‘nother realm of recoil ! (Somewhere) I have the info John sent with the gun. I’ll dig it out also. Had some interesting info – like S&W was thinking of chambering the X frame in .223.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Those are some very well cast bullets. I use the Carnauba Red also. Years ago my friend Kent Lomont who was a very good friend of Ross gave me some backround on him and to say he is well off is putting it lightly. His grandfather was a lawyer and was one of the three founders of 7Up Bottling Company. I wish he still had his website as he had a lot of good reading on it with a lot of different subjects. I have a printed copy of his loads in my shop but thanks for the PDF as a back up. Keep your powder dry.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Interesting info Boar, thanks. I’ll always remember him talking about using one of those small powered cement mixers for a case tumbler. I think it was like 50 lbs walnut shells and a butt ton of cases !

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up one of those mixers and then to Pet Smart to pick up ground walnut in 20 lb. bags used for lizard bedding. The mixer was around $150.00 and the bedding was maybe less than $20.00(?). The first I had heard about using a cement mixer was back in the early ’80s when I went camping with Lomont. He won a bid on thousands of pounds of once fired surplus .223 that had been stored outside and was really grungy. In the first mixer went 5 gallons of media then 5 gallons of brass and a cup of Bon-Ami cleaning powder then tumbled 24 hours. The second mixer was used to remove the Bon-Ami. Then the rounds were loaded and then put in the next mixer with fine media and a final polish. We were shooting some of it at the strip mines around Dugger, Indiana in full auto M-16s (Kent was a Class 3 dealer and also was a Destructive Weapons license holder). The ammo looked as good or better than what Winchester or Remington put out. I sure do miss him.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I like 2400 in the 500 S&W.
      I shoot 29 grs of 2400 with the RCBS 400 gr bullet .
      Out of the 8 3/8″ S&W I get 1400fps which is all the recoil I care to deal with off of the bench.
      Accuracy is good at 50 yds.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.