Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      todd
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 38
      • Overall: 54

i am a 43 y.o.male that is cross-eye dominant(20/10 in the left) and i had a stroke that left me without the use of my right side;).since i can’t shoot the 500 L, i’ve decided to make it a rifle. i can and do carry a ruger sbh in 44 mag that does a 240gr xtp with a max charge of win296, although i can only shoot it like 7 or 8 times. it does like 250gr mihek hp with unique that i can shoot all the live long day:). i’m going to try the 250gr hp for deer at under 50 yards.

anyway, the 500 L(still saving up some money) will be a tc encore with a 23-25″ MGM heavy factory barrel( https://matchgrademachine.com/ ) with open sights. i have found a bunch of reloading data that goes from 400-468gr cast boolits, of which i can use. the 450gr swc pb, 460gr keith swc gc or 450gr lfn gc. the boolit will be used for deer/black bear and it will only be used at no more than 100-125 yards. the velocity will be around 1300+/-fps (i’m going to try 2400, if someone else has a powder please share it).

so what do you think? should it be a swc or a keith or lfn? gc or no gc?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Accurate 50-450AG.
      Order a 3 cavity Aluminum mold.
      Specify the mold for, and cast of Lyman #2.
      Use White Label 2500+.
      Gator check.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Sounds like an excellent project. I’ll second the LFN style bullet and that Accurate 50-450AG looks like a winner.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=15

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I recommended this bullet to a friend who bought a 500S&W handgun. He bought this, and several others, but he says this one is the best of them all. Last year he got the Bighorn Armory 500 and he says the rifle loves this bullet too. The powders he uses may be worth looking at:
      H110
      IMR4227

todd
      Participant
      • Bronze

that is a nice boolit, but i’m going to need a .510-.512″ boolit. the 500 L is a .510″, the 500 s&w is .500-.502″.

its a heck of a nice boolit, what aboutthis one?
      http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-450C-D.png

if i need a gc, could this one be it?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-450BG-D.png

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s Accurate Molds. Just tell Tom to cut it .512.
      Done.
      One persistent problem with cast bullets is that finding a design that works is a real trick, and sometimes the smallest change makes a big difference in accuracy.
      Once, I had Tom make me a slight variation on the RCBS 35-200-FN. I just wanted a slightly bigger meplat is all. No big deal right? Wrong. The original RCBS with all it’s glorious tooling marks shoots 1MOA, and the custom lead jewelry that falls from the Accurate mold like the tears of angels shoots 4″ groups!
      Felix used to say something on occasion that I find myself saying often when I know something works: “Do not deviate”.
      That said, the 510-BG is pretty close to the same bullet and might be worth a try if you feel lucky.

Also, I might mention that I have heard good things from unreliable sources that the Lee 500S&W bullet is a good shooter. It’s cheap enough to try and see.

todd
      Participant
      • Bronze

thanks!

i’ll have to try it!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.