Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 30

anyone reload it? are there any particular things one should be aware of when reloading for the beast?

Cast or Jacketed hints or suggestions or warnings would be welcome.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

“Hold on”. There’s a good place to start. LOL!

Actually, compared to 475 Linbaugh and top loaded 480 Ruger, 454 isn’t too awful bad. lar45 let shoot his 480 Ruger a few months ago. 405 grain bullet cooking along at 1600FPS? Yeah, that took the skin off my palm. It was “a little stout”. LOL!

Anywho, lar45 is the resident hand cannon guru. I direct all such of my questions to him. I’ll bet Larry Gibson has some experience too.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I haven’t loaded for 454 in about 10 years, just think of it as a really hot loaded 45 Colt. Just remember that when you load it full power use small rifle primers, and stay away from soft cast bullets. Lyman number 2 or harder. Also clean your chambers good after shooting a lot of soft cast to pevent pressure spikes when going back to full power loads.

I’ve shot the 454 in a Ruger Blackhawk and a Taurus Raging Bull, neither one seemed to recoil to bad. My 45 Colt loaded with a full load of Blue Dot actually seems to recoil sharper, but that may just be me.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 26

I have a Raging Bull 454, great fun – the grips really calm down the “palm slap”.
      Solid info from VANN..
      Work up top loads slowly, it’s a pretty high pressure round.
      I have a good one with the MP 270 SAA boolet (mine runs about 290 with my lead mix) add a PB gas check and a considerable amount 296 (nope, not tellin, over book load – safe in MY gun).
      Start around 30g 296.
      I’m going to work up some WC820 loads this year – I’ve had good luck with it in the 500 S&W.
      I’m wondering what a 460 S&W is like, the 454 is it’s mid-range load !

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 30

thanks, that is what I’m looking for. Yes I’d start low and work up but the info on not using soft lead is the type stuff I was wondering about.
      Plan on shooting jacketed in it anyway.

Will all jacketed bullets be fine in it?

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Any 452/454 j word will work. 45 acp hp bullets prob too thinly constructed to hold together. That being said, I loaded some Speer flying ashtrays to hellacious velocity once, I’ll have to look up notes to find vel.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I loaded for the 454 Casull in a Freedom Arms Model 83. I used a very stout load of 2400 under a Lee 452-255-RF sized .452 and cast from hardball alloy. Lube was speed green from the Bullshop. I won’t list my load because it was a good bit above book max, lol.

Recoil wasn’t too bad at all. I’d shoot 50-100 per range trip. I had a knee high leather legging on my right leg, and I’d lay my right ankle across my left knee and rest the gun on my shin. Did very well that way.

I remember one range trip where a man politely asked me if I could stop shooting for awhile, lol. The 454 is no slouch

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

Yea, has quite a crack on hot loads huh ?

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I’m a little late on the decussion here. I’ve got the 6.5″ Raging Bull and it’s rather pleasant to shoot especially with a scope on it.
      I ran into some problems with WC820 in cold weather and switched to a Mag SR primer(CCI 450) to fix the problems. I was shooting 320-350gn cast and my best accuracy came in at 1350fps and was pretty much at 100% load density. My lot of WC820 used 2 gns less than 296 for the same velocity.
      H110 or W296 is what you want for absolute max velocity loads, but with H110 or W296 you don’t want to go much below 95% load density or Squibs can result.
      2400 is no slouch either, but can be loaded lower safely. For mild loads, any of the faster pistol powders will do.
      Anyway, that’s my 2cents worth on the subject.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

I had a 454 TC encore barrel. Wood stocks, 14″ barrel, and EVERY time I shot it the trigger guard made my knuckles bleed. I regularly shoot a SW 500 and I found the recoil of the 454 (in the TC Encore configuration) worse. Poor trigger guard geometry and wood grips didn’t help much.

It is a fun round in the right platform. You will enjoy it.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I hear tell a good crimp is in order for revolvers…

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze

JPHolla – Yes, very healthy crimp ! The big boomers act like a kinetic bullet puller. The 454 isn’t a huge push like the 500, but it’s quick (if that makes sense).
      I use the 270SAA boolet for my 454 (mine run 290 solid), on the 5th shot I was getting some boolit creep till I got used to the extra crimp needed.
      The 500 with a 570 g boolet and a healthy dose of WC820, NOW we are talking crimp ! I don’t shoot those much, they hurt. lol

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

Gunslinger1911;n2976 wrote: Yea, has quite a crack on hot loads huh ?

The buck and roar were magnificent!!! In his defense, we were shooting under a covered firing position. I just sat back and had a smoke and some lunch until the range cleared a bit.

On Crimp: Yes, a very healthy crimp!! With the 255 gr bullets, bullet pull was never an issue for me. When I shot 300 gr bullets, I had to crimp them quite hard or they would tie up the cylinder due to bullet jump.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 6

Tight bullet fit before the crimp is absolutely essential. You can’t make up for low bullet tension with crimp.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

^^^^^^^that’s the truth^^^^^

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.