Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Now loading for a half dozen 45s ,2 Colts rifles ,1 Colts carbine ,1 Colts revolver, 1 ACP carbine and 1 ACP revolver, I find that the moulds that are best with the Colts, 452-255 RNFP & 454424 ,just don’t work at their best with the blow back carbine. ….. they really just don’t fit at all . The 45-200 SWC is nice but it’s a bother in the SA revolver and w/o a crimp groove it can slip in side the Colts and Schofield cases .

These will be for all purpose plinking and maybe 25 yd game confrontation. Mostly I want a bullet that will work well in the ACP carbine that I can load in the others for just poking holes in stuff . If there were a 6C 452 210 to 230 RNFP I think that would do but there are just so many choices and hollow points to boot from 165-235 . I guess the TC bullets are just not esthetically appealing to me .

So that leaves me with a wide RNFP or a SWC or an HP with alternative pins of 200 -230 gr for reasonable terminal effects in ACP to Colts cases that isn’t like an HG68 .

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

You mean like Lee’s 45-230-TC

Designed for volume production, the Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold blocks are machined from commercial quality aluminum and feature steel bushing and alignment pins. Lee mold blocks are machined from aluminum blocks making them rust resistant. Aluminum molds heat up and cool down faster than iron or steel molds so good bullets can usually be produced after only a few casts. In addition, they are one-third the weight of iron or steel mold blocks for less fatigue during extended casting sessions. To ensure the best possible bullets, mold block halves are CNC machined for unmatched roundness and size control. Lee 6-Cavity molds come with a cam operated, hard-anodized sprue plate which is held tightly with tempered spring washers at each end. Weights given are Lee’s weights with suggested alloy; actual weight may vary due to alloy mixture used. Handles ARE NOT included (#117-892).

Or NOE’s

I’m using a NEI version myself

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m leaning towards the NOE but the description leaves a little bit of wiggle room like is it 230 with that gapping HP or as a solid . .
      I have been holding out for insight on weights and gains for the 10.5″ of closed breach gains . I guess that’s why I have 7 hard bak references to draw on.
      I do like that NOE Bullet.

I guess I’ll root around and build a table of peak velocities vs BC for the ACP and find the apex weight shape and go from there.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If the 452-255 RNFP & 454424 don’t work well with the blowback rifles, why not ask Tom at Accurate Molds to modify the design for you so it does work?
      Buy correct mold. Go bang bang bang.
      What’s the problem?
      Sounds like these designs are pretty close to what you want because you’re getting them to work already. Can’t be too much modification needed to bring everything together right?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s the weight game . The blowback is the bug it’s companion is a Colts length revolver. I figured maybe someone would have a “wonder bullet “choice that wasn’t obvious. After a little bit of looking it seems that ,comparitively, there just aren’t many 45 cal pistol bullet choices.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

On the contrary, there are more choices than there have ever been before in the history of bullet casting. In fact, anything you can dream up can be bought and delivered in a week for the low sum of $85 total.
      Between Accurate, NOE, Mountain Molds, MiHeck, Lyman, RCBS, and Lee, there have to be HUNDREDS of choices for you.
      Figuring out which one for which gun is completely up to you and your measurement equipment.
      Same process over and over and over:
      Slug the bore.
      Make a pound cast
      Fill the throat
      Fit is King
      Push it, don’t kick it.
      White Label is your friend.

If the same bullet happens to work for two guns, then God bless us all, every one. That doesn’t change what needs to be done for each firearm though.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Then I can fidget with powders and primers and cases and alloys and and and……

But very few have an interest in the suggested dimensions I would follow ,so it’s back to a standard that will feed in a no throat sloppy highpoint that will take a 454 at just over maximum 45 ACP. What I really want won’t fit in the rifle and would just be the cream de LA cream in the Smith and the Colts alas the perfect solution and demands of grab a can and get in the truck collide but you have the gears grinding and where the gears meet the output shaft there’s rubber close at hand .

I may have explored it before but a 453426 held to 230 might be the solution if a 454424 can’t be reduced from the base to 230 .
      I guess I could try it in zinc….or not. 🙂 .
      I found a box of 230 RN commercial too hard to do much else with so off to the races.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

What are the specifics of your issue in thousandths of an inch?
      We can shoot the breeze till the cows come home but until somebody starts bringing throat diameters and angles into the conversation, this thread is mental exercise in futility.
      Are you saying that the chamber is so tight that you cannot get a big enough bullet in the brass to fit the throat? Cut the brass back, and use a heeled bullet?

Yes you can experiment with ” powders and primers and cases and alloys and and and…… ” but never forget that the two most important components of accuracy is the barrel and the bullet.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Several years back there was some work done to get an excellent flat point point, max meplat, 45 cal bullet that could be used in the 45acp and 45 Colt. It was the 45 BD ACP it was originally made in 230gn, and I think 210gn also.
      The nose was the widest that would still function in a 1911 reliably.
      It looks like NOE still has a couple in stock.
      Here’s a pic, crimp groove, wide flat meplat… Looks pretty sexy to me.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product…oducts_id=1026

There was a 230gn version done also in a Lee group buy, maybe you could find one on ebay?

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Am I understanding correctly that the problem stems from a Hipoint carbine?Thought them things digest everything.Mine is a .40 version.Only cast its seen is the Lee TC’s and it handles them fine.I suggest trying a TC bullet.Its a bullet launcher not a fashion model for a magazine

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s the want of 1 bullet for the bail and blow can that represents the issue and yes up to now it’s not overly fussy but the 1.5 that will work fine in the 1917 is a little long for the mags.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 11
      • Overall: 11

Noe offers the 452-230Hp with a large hollow point as well as a small HP which weighs 238. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41_150&products_id=251.
      Roys drawings have been very accurate for the molds that I have purchased from him. I have been considering the 452-230Hp but haven’t purchased any because it looks like they are not in stock.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.