• Author
      Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Last Sunday over at the Ben Avery Range north of Phoenix we had completed the CBA Military Rifle Match and had just started a large bore match when, on the second shot, I had this happen. I was shooting my H&R Officer’s Model TD (top TD in photo) with some loads consisting of a commercial 413 gr cast over 36 gr of IMR4895 with a Dacron filler. These were in W-W cases of which I have no idea how many times they been fired. I used to partial size the cases but the last 10+ years have just been NSing with a NS die. I’ve shot about 1500 of this load since I got the bullets some years back (got 2,000 from Midway on “special”) and the load has always been an excellent performer in the OM.

The 1st sighter shot went high just over the 6″ bullseye at 100 yards as it always does. I shot the second shot expecting to see a hole in the black but could not see a 2nd hole anywhere on the target. I opened the breach block and only about 2/3 of the case came out….ooops! Several attempts with a bore brush reversing the bristles failed to get the rest of the case out. That ended the match for me. The 1st fired case would go into the chamber short about 1/4 to 3/8″ so at least another round could not have been fired had I not noticed the separated case.

When I got home I used cerosafe to make a chamber/throat casting. The first casting did not dislodge the casing. I could tell I had not cast enough cero safe into the bore ahead of the stuck casing. Another casting did the trick. As you can see the front part of the case was pulled up into the bore after separation by the heavy crimp I use with this load. The case was swaged solidly into the lands and grooves. Obviously the bullet was swaged down and who knows where it went down range as I down it was stabilized at all.

I melted the cerosafe out and set it with its rear 2/3s along side a loaded cartridge to see just how far up into the bore/rifling the bullet had pulled it.

Never had that happen before and hope I don’t again.

Larry Gibson

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

Sorry to see the disappointment of not being able to continue the match, however, I did learn how to extract the stuck separated casing thanks to you.

Slim

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That’s got to be 1 in a million. Crazy, I would have thought the neck of the brass would travel with the bullet to the target. Probably would have if not for the lube.

I do have a question though: Do you anneal your brass? I expect the neck sizing worked that case at that specific point (where it stops) enough to make it brittle.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

It can also be dealt with on the range. You need a ramrod, and paper towels or toilet paper. Start putting a bit at a time into the muzzle, and tamp it down tight against the breech end. Keep adding, until you are at least an inch further than the end of the case. Open the action, give the rod a good whack, and the broken case should come out.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

Another good tip, thanks Waksupi.

Slim

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

No, I have not annealed these 45-70 cases.

Larry Gibson

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I bet the separation was already there, and you just didn’t see it the last few loadings.
      The separation was likely on the inside of case where you wouldn’t see it.
      Look inside of all those 1500 rounds you been neck sizing only, see if there is a weak line at bottom of neck., on inside.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

kens;n15750 wrote: I bet the separation was already there, and you just didn’t see it the last few loadings.
      The separation was likely on the inside of case where you wouldn’t see it.
      Look inside of all those 1500 rounds you been neck sizing only, see if there is a weak line at bottom of neck., on inside.

That be the plan for sure……:(

Larry Gibson

HangFire
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

It may not have had incipient case head separation. Or maybe it did. Of course it’s always good to check your batch. Case separations happen to every shooter, who shoots often enough.

As a guess, I would say it is localized brass work-hardening. Since you switched to Neck Sizing, the brass just below the sized area gets pushed down on sizing and stretched on firing. So, that’s where it work-hardens, and that’s where it breaks.

Annealing would be in order for the rest of your brass, combine that process with your incipient separation check for efficiency.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.