Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      GRUMPA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 20
      • Overall: 32

Now that I have a 45-70 I’m pondering which way to go as far as boolits are concerned. I plan on using the 315gr and 405gr boolits but I have to wonder which route to take. I have a LEE 405HB and cast out a few and used 1 to run down the barrel for the groove diameter, which is .4578. I plan on PC’ing the boolits, and there’s a person that loaded up PC boolits and months later he separated them and on some powders (not all) it was dissolving the PC at the base.

When I figure out the load that works best I’ll make a bunch and store them for who knows how long, I’m not known for wiping out my ammo supply.

Now the question: Should I be looking at moulds with GC’s?

Never having something this large do GC’s benefit that much if at all?

A lot of my hand gun stuff uses GC’s and 1 of my rifles, and all perform just great. The only downside if you want to call it that is you need to make sure you have a supply of GC’s.

I know speed dictates a lot with gas checks but having never used a 45-70 before I don’t know how fast a projectile I’ll be using. Let’s face it the older we get the more susceptible to pain we become. All I plan on using is Isotope lead with 1-2% tin and water dropped, then I PC them which I know takes whatever hardness from the water drop and throws it out the window.

On my LBT hardness tester I’m getting 15BHN after PC and letting it cure for a week.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

You don’t need GC in my experience. If your load by PAIN thresh hold then use the 315’s
      – If you want to meet up in Payson and borrow a couple of molds let me know.
      Lending Library is 4 months without fines.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

What Artful said is true. I only have one gc’ed 458 mold and I bought it because of the short throat in my Encore barrel. I have not had any leading issues with anything 2000 fps and slower.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You’re right where you need to be on hardness.
      Try these bullets and be blessed:
      Lyman 457483 (are you seeing this Larry? This is me recommending a Lyman mold) BUT, get the one from NOE that has the right GC shank and doesn’t drop undersize :p (Larry will kick my tail for that last one. LOL!)
      If you want low speed 1200-1300 loads, leave the GC off. It can only destroy accuracy at these low velocities and brings nothing but added cost to the party.

Another one that BjornB has recomended to me is the Lee HB 405. It’s too cheap not to try, and according to him, it shoots well in darn near everything, and my first impresions of it is that it shoots as well as anything else I have tryed, but the aluminum HB punch needs to be remade out of steel because it’s a bear getting the mold hot enough for proper base fillout in the original design. You’ll want to pressure cast it at the very least.

For the lightweight bullet, get the Accurate 46-355RG. This is the original Ranch Dog design. Run it about 1500-1600 and you’re golden. Leave the GC off for 1200-1300 FPS loads. I have both GC, and PB versions, and use both in their place.

I’ve never used it, but I hear too much good about the RCBS 45-405-FN not to recommend it. I think I’m going to spring for this one myself as soon as I can afford it.

GRUMPA
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks for the offer Artful, but I’m not the type of person to borrow things. Remember the old phrase ” Never a borrower or lender be or you may lose your friend and your money”.

I plan on using nothing but NOE moulds, ole Al has his moulds made to a science, perfectly align all the time, perfect size, and a gem to work with. I know there’s other makers of moulds out there but I really do like the NOE so I’ll stay with them. I have Lyman and RCBS moulds and they’ll either drop small bollits and/or the mould halves don’t line up. So as far as using mass produced dies I’ve pretty much stayed away from them and just use NOE moulds.

I’ve been looking a bit on his site, and he does offer 1 or 2 of his moulds of the same design with both GC and PB. I just breezed through his site and didn’t write anything down so I’m not sure of the weight(s) he offered them in.

Now if I use the PB I’m just wondering when I PC them, and assemble and store them if the powder will dissolve the PC at the base, or just use the GC design and not fret over it. Lordy…..am I anal or what…

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

Not sure I missed it or not, but what firearm and fps do you intend to use?
      I just dropped a few weeks ago some 462 420 HB, one of the group buys from Mihec. I can send some samples if you would like?
      I have two TD’s and the LEE did not work in either, just to small diameter to group. In the LEE’s defense I had to have the chamber re-done in the full length, but my carbine couldn’t hit a 5gal bucket. Only load used to date was Spences black powder that duplicated the Gov’t load as his book stated. I did not open the flash hole.

Hope to give these a try soon…..especially since Larry was nice enough to re-post his data on this site!! ( Thank you Larry)

GRUMPA
      Participant
      • Bronze

What I got was the 1895 marlin lever gun, nothing fancy but the price was right and the mag holds 4 rounds. In a nutshell speed will be determined by the pain factor, if it doesn’t hurt my shoulder and I’m within limits I’ll make them shoot faster.

Seems my body can handle more thumpin than most, I’ve had folks try my stuff in my rifles only to hand it back to me after the first shot.

I appreciate the offer with the boolits, but for right now I’m going with what NOE has to offer. I have someone making me a sample of the 315gr PB boolits. With as tight as $ is it sure would be nice to try before you buy type of thing.

When the time comes, and I get a couple more moulds, I plan on casting a bunch and paying it forward. I don’t know about a lot of folks but being able to actually use a boolit before buying the mould sure helps….

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The 1895 is very picky about OAL. The cartridge MUST be short enough to cycle, and unfortunately, that is shorter than what you can stuff in the gun.
      If you go for a RN design, make sure you can get close to your lands without rendering your rifle a single shot.
      Stay with the Ranch Dog molds and you are golden. He has several, and they are for sale exclusively on NOE (often imitated by other makers, if it’s not NOE, it’s not a real Ranch Dog), and his bullets are made specifically to function in the Marlin leverguns.
      Ranch Dog is one bullet maker who’s designs I agree with 99% of the time. He rarely fails to design a good bullet, and his 45 caliber versions are legendary.

NOE also sells a version of the 457483. I’ll try it in my rifle and let you know if it feeds or not.

(edit to add: Yep, I just tried it. It’s a little tight. You can make it work, but you’re liable to have to jump it .010 or so.)

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

I believe that powder attacking the powder coating is not much of a concern. You could always store the rounds bullet up or add a bit of dacron. The other option is using a gas check for loads that will be stored

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

You’ll have fun with your 45/70. I generally enjoy the best accuracy with 405 grain bullets. I have both the Lee 405 and the Lyman 457193 plain base moulds. The Lee gets used in original Trapdoors at about a 1 to 20 alloy and the Lyman shoots well in my 1895 and H&R replica Trapdoors with COWWs and a smidgen of tin.

I don’t push the velocity level at all and I usually mimic either the US Cavalry load at 1,100 fps in the carbines and the infantry load at 1,300 fps in the rifles.

ken campbell iowa
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

the above reminds me of the ( one ) time a friend and i had a 45-70 shoot-out …. 500 gr full loads …. switching between a hi-wall and a new browning 1886 …

we both wound up with beach towels under our jackets and a 5-foot flinch …

i now call it * dumb and dumber * …

oh now i have a ruger 3 in 45-70 … * dumbest * ?? i have ordered some hornady round balls … ha…

ken

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Titegroup is the only REPORTED powder with possibly a problem, believed to be the nitro content..For rifle ESPCd boolits I find better accuracy leaving the base uncoated anyway.If you tumble you can wipe the PC off the base before cooking – slide it across a piece of paper towel. .I’ve had them stored for 1 year with 231, WST, unique (40SW) and no problem. If TG softens the base so what? So will acetone. Powder may outgass to attack the PC but PC doesn’t outgass to damage the powder.
      So far Isocore is working PB in my 300BO plainbase, higher pressure than you will run. Details in the PC accuracy thread. I can’t take the recoil of ‘thumpers’..

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’d sure give those Lee 405HB’s a try since you have the mold.Won’t call ’em tackdrivers but they sure give me acceptable accuracy.Thanks for the tip Popper….never thought of wiping the bases.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

ncbearman;n4837 wrote: Well Grumpa I too am going into the 45/70 market. Well, sooner or later. I’ve been gathering all the accessories and eventually will get a trapdoor. I had a chance to get the Lyman 462560 “hammer of Thor” and thought it might work in the 45/70 but apparently it will be way too much for it 545gr GC.

My father used to cast and load those exact bullets for a guy back in Arizona named Tony Poledo. Tony was shooting those out of a Ruger #1. He was 6’6″ 300lb and he would show up at the range wearing a huge sombrero and have all the ammo crossing his chest in leather bandoleers. Dad said he looked like Pancho Villa.
      Anywho, dude would step up to the line and commence to launching those bullets at a 6″ plate that was 600 yards away. He shot flat footed and dad says it was really something to see because the guy rarely missed. He’d give dad his empty 45-70 brass when he was through making everybody look bad and that was that. Dad would reload the empties, give them back to Tony and the cycle would repeat next time.
      Now my father is very stern about lying, and is absolutely against tall tales (says there’s no such thing as a white lie) and he pounded that into me from the rear end up from the time I was in diapers.
      So I gather several important points from my father’s experience:
      1. Tony Poledo was one hell of a shot with a long rifle.
      2. Dad was one hell of a talented reloader.
      3. That’s one hell of an awesome bullet you’ve got there!

GRUMPA
      Participant
      • Bronze

ncbearman;n4837 wrote: Well Grumpa I too am going into the 45/70 market. Well, sooner or later. I’ve been gathering all the accessories and eventually will get a trapdoor. I had a chance to get the Lyman 462560 “hammer of Thor” and thought it might work in the 45/70 but apparently it will be way too much for it 545gr GC.

Well from what I’ve read from folks using something that heavy, I don’t plan on using something that heavy. Somewhere along my reading adventures and information quests I only read a couple of folks using something that heavy, and the results seem to boarder along the lines of the recoil knocking a person into the next area code to possibly seeing an Optometrist to have your Retinas re-attached.

I don’t even want to go that route, not even for bragging rights, I’ll let someone else claim that honor.

Got done casting almost 200 405HB yesterday, man…..that does take a bit of lead. I’m waiting for my sizer bushing to come in from NOE which should be here today. I was doing some research into using IMR 7383 since I have a few Lbs of that here, doing the brain work on that powder. Still need to order brass for it, all I could mange to find was 17pcs of 1x fired, but that should be enough for testing anyway.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.