• Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Is that a word LOL meterability?
      I have Zero experience with this powder be it H or IMR, so I’m asking the experts here.
      Which one meters better in thrown charges.

(basically how consistent is it in your powder measure)

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

I generally avoid the stick powders because I do not like the way they meter, but if pressed I would have to admit that I get along just fine with H4198. It is about the best fit for a couple of calibers that I shoot, and it meters just fine through my RCBS meter.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thank you Sir, have a RCBS as well as a couple of others.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

As a matter of fact I was throwing charges with both of them today and I can tell you with certainty that the H4198 is definitely shorter cut than the IMR and as such meters much more easily. If you would like to come over for a side by side test, I can answer your questions better than anyone in a few short minutes by letting you throw both of them through my uniflow measure.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I haven’t used a powder measure in a long time but when I used to drop stick powder I always used a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, because I hated the crunchy feeling I got from my RCBS. That being said the appearance of both powders remind me of mechanical pencil lead, the only big difference is that the Hodgdon powder has a grey/gold tint.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Tim, thinking of trying it for the substitute for SR 4759 load in the 1903..,,

I just might have to try a bit for metering purposes.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I have used both at one time or another in the RCBS and Redding meters. They all played well together if you can tolerate a bit of “crunchiness” when throwing charges. Thrown charges of these powders were actually pretty consistent in my experience.

451 whitworth
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 14

H4198 does flow through a drum type powder measure better but since I don’t use one I load IMR4198

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.