Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

I have a couple of the WWII British top break 6-shot revolvers chambered for the 38 S&W. I could never get any jacketed or cast bullets (0.358″) to shoot very well from it until I discovered that it has to have bullets sized to 0.361″ or 0.362″. And the original British round was called the 38/200 using a 200 grain bullet. So I found a supplier that had the proper 200 grain cast lead bullets sized to 0.362″ and bought a box of them to try. And they shot very well and right to the point of aim. So now I am looking for a bullet mold for the 38/200, 38 S&W round that will throw these 0.362+ diameter bullets at about 200 grains.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Check out Accurate Molds. I wouldn’t look anywhere else.
      You can ask Tom to cut your mold any size you want.

Check out the 36-190-R

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-190R-D.png

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

I’ll second that! I have several Accurate molds and they are outstanding! And he will make whatever you want.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

Goodsteel;n11454 wrote: Check out Accurate Molds. I wouldn’t look anywhere else.
      You can ask Tom to cut your mold any size you want.

Check out the 36-190-R

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta…=36-190R-D.png

I tried going through “accuratemolds” ordering system and it kept erroring out. So I could never get to the end. I did get far enough one time to see a price of $144 before even seeing shipping charges. I was hoping for something a little more conventional than a custom machined mold though. I usually buy my molds from either RCBS or Lyman and always seem to have pretty good luck with them. Plus I like the iron/steel molds for duribility and castibility. I bought one of those aluminum Lee molds and it gave me a fit trying to get anything usable out of it. I have even purchased an antique Ideal mold off of eBay and it turned out good bullets from the get-go. I looked at the 36-190-R mold that you presented the link for above, but it looks like the base height dimension below the crimping groove might be too long for the 38 S&W case to fit any powder in there. The cast bullets I purchased appear to have a longer front section than the part inserted in the case.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If you email Tom with your specific requirements, he will meet all of them.
      I would caution you against judging all aluminum molds by Lee. I hold with you 100% and I enjoy my cast iron and brass molds the most, but I don’t turn my nose up at aluminum from Accurate or NOE. They are very predictable molds that produce superb bullets by anyone’s standards.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I would definitely give Al a call at NOE the 360-200-MK1 38/200 is an exact replica of the bullet used in the 38/200

Larry Gibson.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I have several aluminum molds from both Accurate and NOE as well as Lee molds. I have 1 Lyman cast iron mold too. The cast iron mold seems to be more forgiving than the others as far as not needing to maintain as fine of cadence to get good boolits. The aluminum molds form NOE and Accurate are exceptional with a slight nod going to the Accurate. As Goodsteel said, there is no comparison between them and Lee, and in my limited opinion they are better molds than Lyman. Do not be afraid of an aluminum mold from either of these manufacturers!!! They are fantastic!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.