• Author
      Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

or not depending on which end of the gun you’re on……..

I hate having unzeroed rifles around so I got up before day break this morning and headed to the range with my Savage M40 22 Hornet and my Winchester M70 375 H&H.  It’s been a bit hot here this last week with temps running 116 – 126……was 90 when I arrived at the range…….

I wanted to get solid zero’s at 100 and 200 yards with the M40 and then to see how it did at 300 yards which is stretching the Hornet.  The M40 has a Simmon air rifle 6x18X scope.  It’s a good scope but the adjustments are supposed to be 1/8 moa but in reality they are close to 1/12th moa.  Didn’t take long for the 100 yard zero with Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullets over 12.5 gr Lil’Gun.  My first sight setting at 200 yards proved 1 moa too low so a quick adjustment and it was dead on.  I then put up some PD targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards.  Ten shots each on the 100 and 200 yard PDs would have produced 20 DRT PDs.  I took a swag at the elevation and 5 shots on the 300 yard PD would have all been DRT PDs also but the hits were all 1 1/2 moa low.

I had removed the action from the stock of the M70 375 H&H and attached a strain gauge and then had adjusted the scope for the duplex load testing I’d done previously.  I set the scope back to it’s original zero for the 4 basic hunting loads I use in that rifle: a 285 gr Speer GS at 2650 fps, a 300 gr Hornady SPBT at 2600 fps, a 300 gr Hornady RNSP at 2650 fps and a 300 gr Hornady FMJ at 2550 fps.  Point of aim was the “X” on the target at 100 yards.  I shot 3 rounds of each load.  The composite 12 shot group size is 2 1/2″.  The zero had shifted 1/2 moa left but still was close enough for cape buffalo, elephant, lion, kudu and the errant warthog or baboon…….at 95 degrees this morning these loads should also hold up well up sub-tropical African temps……if I ever get there…….please allow me my hallucinations though……

I had 1 round of the Speer GS left over so for S&Gs I held about 5 – 6″ over the top of the paper on the 300 yard PD figuring I had close to a 200 yard zero……..as you can see it was that PDs unlucky day……..

I think the PD would have lost his head over that shot…….

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Very nice shooting Larry. I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

Nice shootin Larry.

Can I ask how far off the lands your seating your various bullets in the 375H&H?

Doc44 and I picked up a couple of rifles in 375 Ruger, and in checking the distance to the lands with several bullets(Speer 235, Speer 270BTSP, Hornady 270SP) has them seated about .1″ longer than the mag will take 🙁  So I’m wondering if it may take abit to get an accurate load found and worked up.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Glenn

Given the recoil and potential ponding the cartridges take in the magazine with my serious hunting loads I seat the bullets to the canalure and crimp with a Lee FCD.  That puts most of them at just under mag length for the M70 anyway.  I have shot a couple boxes of Speer 270s at 2700 fps.  They have no canalure and were loaded to the base of the case neck for maximum neck tension.  Never had a problem with them moving into or out of the case under recoil.  Given what the rifle is intended for and the fine accuracy already I never tried load development to get any smaller groups with my hunting loads.  I figured 2 moa at full throttle for the bullet weight was close enough and the M70 does considerably better than that…….besides shooting off the bench is brutal after a few shots……….

Larry Gibson

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.