Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

Anyone own a .358 win bolt action? Anyone shoot 10-shot 100 yd groups with it? Thinking about putting one on a Savage Model 12. I realize it’s not a target cartridge. But I’m wondering what it’s capable of, given it’s ‘brush-gun’ reputation. I’m thinking it’s better than that, but it’s largely been chambered in short, light lever actions, from what I’ve seen.

I’m a sucker for .308 parent case stuff. Call me simple, or stupid. Whatever.

Lever guns, including BLRs need not apply. Had one and sent it down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I have a Sako AV that I rebarreled to 358 WCF. I shoot only ten shot groups, and several times I shot 25 shot groups.
      the barrel is one of the Adams & Bennett Midway F44 barrels that they had made by Green Mountain. Superb shooters (I’ve used several of them).
      Anywho, my bullet was the RCBS 35-200-FN. I cast these bullets from COWW cut 50/50 with pure lead. I dip lubed them with FWFL (I would use White Label BAC or 2500+ now). Bullets were air cooled.

Brass was LC Match, annealed, trimmed and reamed primer pocket.

Primers were Federal large rifle.

Powder was IMR3031.

Precision was less than 1.25 for ten shots on demand from a bipod at 2150 FPS or 2.5″ or less at 2300 FPS with water quenched bullets.

The only special stuff I did was to use a custom expander to set the neck at .358, and a custom sizer to crimp the GCs at 360. Bullets dropped from the mold at .359.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Tim put one together for me for me . 22″ on a Santa Barbara 98 dropped in a 72-74′ Fajin stock . I would discourage an inside the bow floor plate release . As with everything Tim does it’s amazing . A 35-250 FP and 4350 runs just 2100 fps into an inch except when it throws a check ……
      Its easy to jump from squirrel to oops dropped the floor plate …. again .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I really need to get mine out again. Kinda got relegated to the back of the safe since the XCB and subsequent 45-70 projects.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Wow. That’s nice.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The May issue of Shooting Times has an article titled Revisiting the .358 Winchester. All jacketed stuff. But, it may provide something useful for those loading .358 Winchester.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s an awesome rifle at a good price!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Awesome group Ric. I see you used milsurp powder. Hard to find the 852 anymore.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

It’s a JES rebore. Love to have that rifle.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

VERY nice. I seem to have missed it, would you be so kind as to share details on the rifle/load? I can’t figure out how to increase the image size to read the notes on my laptop.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I would be money ahead to buy it or something similar, but as I am still trying to learn some things, I’m going to have to stick with my rebarrel plan. Sooner or later, I’ll figure out what has gone wrong.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

That load was 41 gr. WC 852 (F). 280 gr. Bator Heavy, (358009 clone). Winchester magnum primers. I did use filler with this load, but it really wasn’t necessary.
      The rifle is one I built, Douglas barrel on a VZ 24 action.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Waksupi;n15295 wrote: That load was 41 gr. WC 852 (F). 280 gr. Bator Heavy, (358009 clone). Winchester magnum primers. I did use filler with this load, but it really wasn’t necessary.
      The rifle is one I built, Douglas barrel on a VZ 24 action.

Interesting. I have a Douglas barrel in 6.5 mm. Chambered in .260 Remington. I’ve spent the last 6 months blaming myself and everything else for it’s performance. Today I’ve finally run out of excuses.

It WAS a ‘Premium Air Gauged’ 1 in 8 twist hold on to your hat and watch this hum-dinger.

It IS a 1 1/4″ @ 100 yds reality.

I’ll not be buying any more Douglas barrels.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

May I ask, ??
      If you guys got .358 running sub 1.5″ groups @ 2100fps; then is it feasible that a small ring mauser barreled in .35rem can expect the same??

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Sorry If I have mis-lead you. I was trying to determine an accuracy baseline with jacketed bullets, and this was a 6.5 MM barrel.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Wright Arms;n15424 wrote:

Interesting. I have a Douglas barrel in 6.5 mm. Chambered in .260 Remington. I’ve spent the last 6 months blaming myself and everything else for it’s performance. Today I’ve finally run out of excuses.

It WAS a ‘Premium Air Gauged’ 1 in 8 twist hold on to your hat and watch this hum-dinger.

It IS a 1 1/4″ @ 100 yds reality.

I’ll not be buying any more Douglas barrels.

Look at the bright side. You saved $60 off the cost of a Krieger.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n15435 wrote:

Look at the bright side. You saved $60 off the cost of a Krieger.

Yeah, well sue me. I figured as long as they’d been in business they must be doing something right. Seems like you liked your .300 Win Mag and Waksupi likes his .358 Win. My bad for considering that, I guess. It was largely based upon your posted results from your .300 Win mag that I started looking at Douglas.

It appears they just can’t QUITE manage to do something right all the time. ‘AIR GAGING’ or no.

And I’m the luck guy who got the ‘Monday” barrel. Like I said, it won’t happen twice. See my Sig line.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The only way to really know how a barrel will shoot is to shoot it. Every custom barrel maker knows that, and every gunsmith knows that too. Every now and then you get one that just doesn’t quite perform. When that happens, you sell it on eBay abd try it again. No big deal.
      im an absolute Krieger nut, because I’ve built countless sub MOA rifles with them, and many of my clients here can attest to that. I’ve never gotten a lemon from them. Whatever they’re doing, it works! That’s why I say Krieger is cheap precision, and why theirs is the only barrel banner I have on the wall here.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n15426 wrote: May I ask, ??
      If you guys got .358 running sub 1.5″ groups @ 2100fps; then is it feasible that a small ring mauser barreled in .35rem can expect the same??

Of course it is. As I said in my previous post, the barrel carries the lions share of precision. So, use a good barrel, install it properly, use good optics (I personally recommend Vortex) and mount them properly, use good alloy, cast and load it properly, and there is no reason you should not be able to hit ping-pong balls 10/10 at 100 yards.
      One word of caution on the SR Mauser’s: try to get a tight one, and be careful with that Spanish one. I’ve seen some REALLY janky workmanship on the SRs and I’ve refused to build on three of them to date, and all three were Spanish.
      Take an X-acto blade and try to scratch the feed ramp and upper recoil lug with it. If it scratches the metal easily, just do yourself a favor and walk away. Life’s too short to build on crappy actions just to save a buck.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Goodsteel;n15466 wrote:

Of course it is. As I said in my previous post, the barrel carries the lions share of precision. So, use a good barrel, install it properly, use good optics (I personally recommend Vortex) and mount them properly, use good alloy, cast and load it properly, and there is no reason you should not be able to hit ping-pong balls 10/10 at 100 yards.
      One word of caution on the SR Mauser’s: try to get a tight one, and be careful with that Spanish one. I’ve seen some REALLY janky workmanship on the SRs and I’ve refused to build on three of them to date, and all three were Spanish.
      Take an X-acto blade and try to scratch the feed ramp and upper recoil lug with it. If it scratches the metal easily, just do yourself a favor and walk away. Life’s too short to build on crappy actions just to save a buck.

This one wouldn’t screw the barrel in, the thread relief was bigger than receiver ID thread, I called Shilen and they told me to send it all in. I blueprinted the action before sending it in , and they headspaced it, stamped barrel, and tested it, sent me back a barreled action.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n15472 wrote:

This one wouldn’t screw the barrel in, the thread relief was bigger than receiver ID thread, I called Shilen and they told me to send it all in. I blueprinted the action before sending it in , and they headspaced it, stamped barrel, and tested it, sent me back a barreled action.

Well!!!!
      That worked out nicely didn’t it? Well done!!!
      So what’s the holdup here? If the rifle is already built, what precision are you experiencing?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

A quick word on precision with this caliber: sometimes folks have inexplicable problems that are hard to diagnose. Milkman experienced this first hand with his rifle Genesis. He had issues getting that superb rifle to shoot, and finally I met him at the range a d used ammo I loaded for my 358 (same barrel cut with the same reamer). Using my ammo, there was instant improvement. A few small changes and he was right where he needed to be.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

No, it is not all built.
      I got laid off, and Shilen headspaced it due to their QA escape. That was considered progress for me, and I still need to stock it. might open the milspec barrel channel up for this #3 contour, then I might get a Boyds. i will glass bed it either way.
      I still need to make a decision on sights………..quarter rib? scout scope? ghost ring? front sight or, no?
      mil spec trigger or, Timney??
      Basically all I got right now is a blueprinted SR ’95 ; barrelled by Shilen. and I got little else to go with it, and Im out of money.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n15508 wrote: No, it is not all built.
      I got laid off, and Shilen headspaced it due to their QA escape. That was considered progress for me, and I still need to stock it. might open the milspec barrel channel up for this #3 contour, then I might get a Boyds. i will glass bed it either way.
      I still need to make a decision on sights………..quarter rib? scout scope? ghost ring? front sight or, no?
      mil spec trigger or, Timney??
      Basically all I got right now is a blueprinted SR ’95 ; barrelled by Shilen. and I got little else to go with it, and Im out of money.

In my opinion, you could not go wrong with the Scout scope setup on a rifle like this. It fits the MO of this rifle and cartridge like a glove. Also, if you havn’t bent the bolt yet, there is no need to. I actually would prefer a standard straight bolt if it would clear the scope, and with a Scout rifle its not even a consideration.
      What you’ll have is a fast, quick swinging, hard hitting, sharp shooting, 200 yard rifle. What more could a guy ask for?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, I am leaning towards a scout scope, there is a Burris scope in the cabinet waiting for a gun.
      I would still need to get the qtr rib, and drill it, thread it. I would hire out the qtr rib drill/tap, I feel queezy drilling right above the chamber.
      But a ghost ring, I could drill my self. The XS Ghost ring looks good to me, very small and low. and light

Whiteoak
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 7

My 358win has became one of my favorite rifles. Kills deer with authority. I have been shooting the Lee 358-200-RF Air cooled WW with H4895 at 2,100. Took my first cast boolit deer with it last November.
      I put it together on a Savage Model 10 action from a youth rifle and hardwood factory
      stock. The barrel is a 20″ X-Caliber heavy sporter with a 1-14 twist. It will shoot 1″ 100 with a 200gr Sierra Prohunter and not much over that with the cast.
      I have a RanchDog TLC359-190-RF clone from NOE that I will soon be trying for it.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Here’s the latest addition to my safe: a Remington 600 Mohawk, now sporting a JES rebore, chambered to .358 Winchester by Goodsteel. It doesn’t hurt that the barrel has cool fluting.

I read about the Mohawk in one of the gun rags, and found one for reasonable money on GB shortly thereafter. It was chambered in .243 Win (which I had no use for), and the stock was very well worn. Additionally, it was sporting the original (and very janky) plastic trigger guard. Here’s what I received:

I found new bottom metal at the Numrich website, and sent the barreled action to Tim while I re-did the stock myself. I didn’t need perfection as far as the stock was concerned; 3 coats of Tru-oil brought it up to plenty good for me.

In the meantime Tim sent the fluted barrel (a take-off he had in his barrel full of barrels) to JES, who bored it into a 1:14 twist .358.

Finally, the rifle now sports a Leupold picatinny rail and a Timney trigger. It’s being shipped directly to my Alaska FFL and will get a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle mounted when it gets there.

I’ll post more about the rifle after the first range visit!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s coming along Bjorn. Almost finished.  Still waiting on that steel rail!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

We’ll be shooting her from the front porch!!

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.