Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/TimMalcolm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.69371EEB-50A1-4707-8ACE-59073FA76432_zpsqqau4wn8.mp4.html

Ive often mentioned that the RCBS 35-200-FN was a viable bullet for the 357 magnum.
      I have a freind who intends to pack his Ruger 357 into bear country.
      I told him if it were me, I’d be loading it with 200 grain solids and pushing them as hard as I thought I could get away with. At least 1000 FPS.
      I decided to work up a load with the RCBS 35-200-FN and see just how fast I could push it in my Blackhawk.
      I used WW 38 special brass and a compressed load of 2400.
      Fastest speed was 1425FPS. The primers were flat and the brass still ejected easily, so I stopped there.

Heres a video. Sorry about the sideways angle. Darn phone.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

Man, you couldn’t get me to shoot that load. I’m not big on recoil.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Oops.

I got a message “Sorry. The video has been renamed or removed by the owner.”

My “bear load” is the Lee 310 gr FN over a full load of 296 or 110 in a Ruger SBH .44 mag cut back to the end of the ejector rod housing and magna-ported. If you should miss, it might still catch their fur on fire.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve got the 44 REDHAWK hunter and I agree wholeheartedly. Rockin, sockin, raw, unadulterated power and plenty of it.
      However, this gent does a lot of walking, and has learned that hauling a civil war cannon around your neck on long hunts takes its toll. His objective was to get a light weight option that still has enough punch to get the job done.
      I have to admit, that if he shoots a bear with this load and it gets him anyway, a 44magnum would just make his passing a lot louder. LOL!

I just hobbled outside with a milk jug full of water today and shot it with this load. The jug exploded and flew backwards about five feet, and it was turned inside out.
      I would never shoot this load in my old model 19, but in a Ruger wheelgun, I say “let er rip taterchip.”

The recoil was stiff for a 357, but compared to a 44-anything it was tame. Recoil all boils down to mass vs speed, and 200 grains at 1400 would be considered a chump load in a 44 SRH or a 44SBH. Heck, I was out with Glenn the other day and he let me shoot his 480 Ruger. It was spitting out a 405 grain bullet at 1600FPS, and it tore the skin on my palm when I touched it off. Makes this feel like a wimpy target load.

Sorry the video doesn’t work fellers. I’ll fix it next time I’m at a computer.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Love that load. Yeah, I’m packed for summer in Alaska, leaving in the morning. When I mentioned for Tim that the new GP-100 will be my sidearm of choice this season he volunteered to work up a load with the RCBS 200FN. Reason I’m changing wheelguns is that the SRH Alaskan is a heavy, clumsy and not very accurate revolver. The GP100 on the other hand is a sweet piece that fits my hand perfectly and weighs several ounces less than the Alaskan.

Hunting season doesn’t start until September, so I’ll be spending the next couple of months practicing on my own “range” behind the cabin.

Thanks again Tim!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Have a great summer. I am envious. I look forward to adventure reports!

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

I was able to get the video to play although I did have to try it a couple of times. I blamed it on my tablet. Not the friendliest device for this forum, for some reason. Probably just me.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It was slow to load on my phone but worked fine . I blame the slow on my home WiFi though.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Youve got more juice than me I wimp out at 14.0 of H110 under a 170 gr HC Speer. I guess if it’s not a daily range load it’s ok.
      I didn’t even go that far out of 18″ rifle……. the 170 only went 1410.

Bullseye67
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 16

That looks like a riot….I have a Redhawk in 357 I might load up a couple a try them out. Have shot quite a few warm 180gr. they smack a plate pretty good. The jug of water is a fun way to shower. As a “you gotta try this” One time I took and drilled a large hollow point into a 240gr cast boolit. Loaded with 10 or 11 grains of HS-6 and filled a bunch of jugs with water. Had some low to no experience friends over, warm summer day and stood them about 10ft from the jugs as they shot them. Completely soaked after a couple of shots…..shock and awe…took on a whole ‘nother meaning.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.