Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

I have one of the Winchester 94 AE rifles in 356 Winchester. It is the same casing with the addition of a rim as a 358 Winchester. Has anybody had much luck shooting jacketed pistol bullets out of the 358 or 356 rifles since the rifles usually take 0.358″ bullets and the jacketed pistol bullets usually measure 0.357″? What sort of loads are you having luck with? I have a bunch of 140 grain, and 158 grain and 160 grain bullets. I am just looking for a small game round.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Have used .357 dia. pistol bullets in various weights in both the .35 Remington and the .35 Whelen for a number of years now with excellent results and see no reason they would not be a real kick in your .356 We are not talking one inch groups at one hundreds yards performance but rather something that will pop a bunny at 30 to 50 yards and not scare the heck out of the whole darned county. I. E. quiet.
      What I would do is take your preferred bullet, cast or jacketed in say the .357 Magnum caliber and use that as your starting load. Load up a couple, retire to your range and fire off a few. How do they group ? Are there any signs of pressure ?
      What you are looking for is performance but you have to stay sane in the respect of what you are working with.
      Do not try to obtain any form of high velocity, you aint gona get it.
      Mass at lower velocity will kill very dead if you have accuracy. That is where the .357 / .358 dia. comes in along with the bullet weight. Also at the lower velocity with the larger mass you get less shock damage to the meat letting you “eat right up to the hole “.
      Do remember though, the pressure’s generated in say the .357 Magnum case , will not be the same pressure’s that will generate in your .356 case.
      I would stay with the slower burning powders or this might be a place to play with something like Trail Boss might come into play.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Trail boss is cool.
      15 grains of Unique with Dacron is good.
      Maybe 25 grains of 2400?

Totally agree with Reg on the usefulness of these loads. Low velocity, close range.
      Its a great idea if you have a use for it.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

Goodsteel;n11795 wrote: Trail boss is cool.
      15 grains of Unique with Dacron is good.
      Maybe 25 grains of 2400?

Totally agree with Reg on the usefulness of these loads. Low velocity, close range.
      Its a great idea if you have a use for it.

Ok, I will experiment with some of these pistol loads in the 356 Winchester, maybe with some Dacron. I have both Unique and 2400. No Trail Boss. I just found another 10 full, sealed boxes of Speer 148 grain hollow base bullets. I haven’t opened any of the boxes yet or looked at my Speer loading manual to see what they are. Unfortunately people around me seem to be dying and the children don’t know what to do with all of this reloading stuff. Especially old bullets for 38 Specials. And the only guns I have in 38 caliber are the 356 Winchester rifle, that likes bullets in 0.358″, and an old English military top break revolver in 38/200 that likes cast bullets of about 0.362″. Now, if one of them would just give me a 38 Special S&W revolver I would be set.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I use 5 gr of Bullseye under the Lee 356-120-TC in my 35 Rem for 1170 fps and excellent accuracy and small game lethality. 3 gr of bullseye under the 358477 150 gr SWC gives 38 SPL performance at 850 fps with excellent accuracy. Speer’s 158 jacketed SP over 39 gr H4895 runs 2200 fps and is explosive on vermin.

Those should be good starting points for your .356. Any starting load data available for the .358 Win will give you good starting loads also.

Larry Gibson

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Those HBWC should work in that 38/200 nicely .

With a 158 I’d start with 7-8 gr of Unique maybe 10 under a 125 and just see how it goes . You get trigger time , you get to see what happens to a 75gr hp at 1600 fps …… Wait that me in a 357……. You can explore powder burn rates vs alloy vs twist rates with little chance of any damage to the platform . It is a great opportunity .

I had a 357 once that would shoot all things 38 special even +P+ right up to 357 start loads then shotgun . I was gifted a mixed box of 380 75-85gr gold dots I don’t remember what I loaded them but 8gr of Unique in 357 cases sounds familiar to the instance. I didn’t have a chronograph then , I was blissfully ignorant of things like bore/groove dia and throat choke . In deep reflection the likelihood is that the Taurus 66 had a 355 groove and/or throats . There was no missing with those flyweight gold dots and they were explosive on impact like golf ball sized exits on 2×4 and no exit on a 4×4 of Douglas fir .

There was a point in there somewhere about finding out about things by trying things that shouldn’t work and stretching powder or bullet utility while not exceeding bullet strength ….. I think that was it.
      ​​​​​

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.