• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by kens.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I am curious about a 35 XCB hunter.

I have some responses over on the 358 load development thread, but I have found an interest in taking this a bit further.

Example: look at this bullet, the Speer 220gr 358 Hot-Cor. (google it)

It is a ogive nose, small meplat, flat base, bullet.

The 35XCB is also ogive nose, small meplat, flat base.

If Speer uses a jacket for ‘controlled expansion’, why then can we not use our alloy & velocity for our own ‘controlled expansion’

Yes, the Speer is jacketed for things such as .35Whelen class; but what IF we control this to something like a .357 mag rifle class of velocity?

Is .357mag/rifle enough to bag a bambi or a hog?? I’m referring to a .35Rem carbine here for sake of discussion.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have a .357 mag single shot Handi rifle. I have never shot a deer with it, never tried.

Do I doubt it would do the job? NO.

200 gr rcbs clone is not hard to get up to 12-1400 fps. Which IMO would make it a perfectly functional 100 yard deer gun.

Guys kill deer all the time with .357 mag pistols with 6 inch barrels.

Put a 20 inch barrel and a scope on that and you have more speed, more accuracy.

But, like everything else,  you need to be able to put the round where it does the most good. Bullet placement is key.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I keep thinking of the .22 LR. It is a soft lead pill and runs about 1200fps, no leading as far as the day is long.

But the big boys talk about pistol magnums and all the terrible leading, what gives?? the speed is still approx the same?

In theory I only need 1 round, maybe 2, to bag a deer. Why care about leading for 1 round?

Could I spit out a flat based xcb at 1600 for all of 2 rounds?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

My “full power” loads with the adjusted Darrs lube run out of lube about 2″ short of the muzzle with the XCB . Any leading is brush out leading so far . I thumb lube the very soft lube and leave the bullet “wet” about 1-5.

I do agree that if the first 1 goes where it’s supposed to who cares if it leads a little . Under 22″ barrel even with such a low tech lube as mine and you shouldn’t have any trouble .

Having nothing but my gut to back up my opinion a 50/50 water dropped would be my choice . Hard enough to clear the muzzle , soft enough to expand , just enough tin to keep it in one piece .
      A 750 fps 45 cal impact that breaks 2 ribs in a hog makes a 1/2″+ exit hole .

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I just cast some softish 35XCB, they came out at .362″, isn’t this too big?

I slugged my bore, I got .357, isn’t this too small??

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

You can lube it first, then run through a push through sizer to match your throat.  I’ve squashed .458″ 535gn bullets down to .452″ with the same process and had good results.

Is this the one we are talking about?  or is there a different hunter profile?

I’ve got a 32″ barrel on my 45-70 Sharps and never had a problem running out of lube with my BP-01 and Black powder; and 50-50, 2500+, and Carnauba Blue with smokeless.  I also have a long  barreled 30-06 XCB and have pushed it past 2800fps without any leading.

Generally I’ve been able to hit around 1500fps with a plain base bullet with no leading.  With a gas checked base, the sky’s the limit within reason of what the twist rate will hold…

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

yes, its the XCB, I called it hunter because its the only .35 rifle mold I got.

The rifle is ready to go hunting, but this the only mold I got.

If I go hunting with it, then its my hunter. I wonder if the nose is just too small to expand.

With soft lead isn’t my bullets supposed to drop small??

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.