This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kens 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     jevyod 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 4
    • Overall: 6

Hello all, I am rather new to this forum (joined a while ago then forgot I did:( ) Anyway, I thought it would be a good place to come and learn more about casting for the 358 Winchester. First off, i do not have the gun yet, it is in goodsteel’s hands. It started out as a Mauser, and is getting built into a 358. I already have the 35 XCB mold (thanks to goodsteel’s recommendation), and plan on using that to cast for the 358. I have several questions regarding the use of that particular bullet in this particular gun.

1. What speeds can I reasonably expect to attain? I hunt some areas where 1000 yards are easily possible (although I limit myself to 300 ), so I want at least enough speed to shoot 300 yards without needing much holdover. Am hoping to get to 2300-2400. (maybe that is an unreasonable expectation)

a. Part of the reason I am looking at pushing it like this is to see if I can personally achieve good accuracy with higher velocity. With the rifle being built by Tim, I have no doubts that the rifle will be capable. I am not so sure about the shooter though. I have cast some before, mainly for a 45-70. But this higher velocity stuff intrigues me, and I know it would definitely improve my skill as a cast bullet shooter. I have read Tim’s thread he had about some things that need to line up in order to achieve high velocity, and it seems like a do-able list to me.

2 . What powders will get me there? I have read quite a bit about the 3031 being the best for this application. Can I get enough powder in a case to achieve the velocity I need? I know Ramshot seems like a good one using jacketed……

3. Due to the small meplat, what about a small hollowpoint? I am thinking if I have my velocity, I will not need the hollowpoint.

4. What is the Ballistic Coefficient on the 35 XCB bullet?

5. Any other thing I am missing thinking about here?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’ve not actually tried the 35XCB bullet in 358 Winchester, so I can’t say for certain what it will perform like. However, I see no reason why 2300FPS would be attainable with non-military brass (if you’re going for speed with 358, Winchester is the name of the game. Big red dub-ya makes their brass to hold more powder).

You’ll want Glenn’s 2500+ lube.

I do think that 3031 is the cat’s meow with cast.

You’ll want to cast them out of quality alloy (range scrap and COWWs aint gonna cut the mustard) You need Lyman#2 and you can cut it with pure till you lose precision and then back up a click or two and set up shop. A hollow point may be a good idea, but I have no doubt that the 35XCB is going to be a very effective deer killer even without it.

Estimated BC is .299

That’s about it. The rest is going to be just shooting it and working out a solution just like you would any other cast bullet. If you truly want speed, then I think we should amend your rifle build plan to use the maximum barrel length we can muster. Short barrels kick HV right in the teeth. You can pretty much figure 50 feet per second per inch loss.

jevyod 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Ok I already have the 2500+ lube from Glenn. As far as barrel length I still like a well balanced rifle. I am willing to trade some speed for balance.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Did you already specify the barrel length?

You can balance out a long barrel via some lead in the buttstock. It doesn’t take much if you position it clear back at the pad.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Are you building this rifle for deer hunting?

jevyod 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I did not specify barrel length yet, although it will probably fall between 22 and 24 inches.

I am building this for kind of an all purpose big game rifle. I am also building it to look really nice (or tim is!) But yes, it will be primarily for deer, with maybe an occasional bear. And if I draw an elk tag for Pa, i would defiantly use this one.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

This rifle will be perfect for that purpose jevyod. The 358 Winchester is a fantastic all around cartridge for 200 yard shots on darn near anything. The reamer I used to create your chamber has made some truly fantastic rifles.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

So here’s my nickle .
    This is a 358 GS put together . I freely admit to messing up his premium work with my mediocre stock fitting , lame trigger and average shooting skills .
    The photo below is 5 shots at 100 that loaner out there threw a check off .
    The barrel is an A&B 1-14 that GS had “laying around the shop” fitted to a Santa Barbara 98 action . The rifle is pieced together with an unknown inside the bow magazine release , it now has a decent GI 2 stage trigger at about 4# . The stock is a 1972ish varminter by Fajin .

5shots

The load
    Is FC 308 necked up and trimmed .
    Weighing 20 showed an over under 1.0gr with most in a central group of .5-.7 O/U .
    RCBS 35-250 unknown alloy ,Sage’s AL checks .
    I have the XCB but haven’t shot the work ups waiting patiently to shoot .
    CCI large rifle primer
    I4350 , don’t recall the charge weight but it wasn’t over 95% of actual available space .
    It ran 2100-2135 across the 5 .

With that and the XCB the classic +3″ at 100 should (according to the Strelok calculator app) be – 3″ at 200. The drop shows 23″ at 300 with 1033 ft-lb .
    All theory however because I haven’t yet shot my alloy and workups .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I’m also working up a 35XCB deer rifle. Mine is 35Rem though.

Between all of us, we can figure what the XCB will do for deer.

I am a bit tempted to file off some meplat for game getting tho.

But then again, there is no proof of hunting with it at all, that I know of; as cast or modified.

jevyod 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Yea I am with you there. As many as shoot this bullet at paper, and as well as it performs for paper punching, several of us need to start seeing how it performs on game. I too have thought of filing off some meplat. What kind of speed do you plan on running in your 35 Rem?

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I believe I can run 35xcb at load book full house throttle for 35Rem

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.