Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Can someone tell me about .35Rem ballistics??

I read the load books and they only indicate 1 point of zero, usually 100yds, and the sight line 1.5″ above the bore.

I see from the books the .35rem is somewhat a ‘rainbow’ trajectory, especially beyond 100yds (where I like to bang steel)

However, we all know the bullet crosses the line of sight at 2 places.

it has a 20″ barrel. front sight blade  1.005″ above the bore.

Where do I put the ZERO for the ‘flattest’ trajectory for deep woods hunting inside of 100yds?

Where would the closest crossing of the line of sight, and the second crossing???

How much height is there in between?

BTW, of all the deer I ever taken, half of them were in bow range (<35yds)

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The Hornady site has a ballistic calculator that will give you your answer. And, you can change the distances, bullet weight/style, and velocity. Really neat. And free.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

that’s cool, thanks.

It tells me I want a 30yd zero. that makes it dead flat  (+/-  .2″ ) inside 75yds

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Kens,

Nice looking rifle BTW.  Must be a pleasure to carry.

Thanks for sharing.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The way I see it, unless you’re hunting field mice, if you set your zero for 100 yards, then you know that any shot between your 10 and 100 yards will impact within .68 inches of POA.

That’s probably less than your personal error unless you have a benchrest in the woods with you. My finest cast bullet groups for hunting ammo were 1 MOA shot with my 358 Winchester, which means that at 100 yards, the bullet would often impact .5″ from POA. To my way of thinking, 1/2MOA off at 100 is the same as 1/2 MOA off at 60 yards.

My calculations of your bullet drop are figured for the RCBS 35-200-FN bullet doing 2100FPS.

If you were to zero at 100, then your bullet would start out 1″ low at the muzzle, climb quickly to 0 at 23 yards, apex at 60 yards where it is .68 above the line of sight, then drop to zero again at 100. That is 1.68″ of total arc over a 100 yard span. Considering that on my best day, I can only shoot 1.5MOA with a precision rifle fitted with diopter sights, that seems negligible to me.

BTW, the ballistic Coefficient of the the RCBS 35-200-FN bullet is roughly .243.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, the close in zero gives the flattest inside 75yds, but I noticed if I go to 100yd zero, the trajectory rise is only about .2″ more, and it tells me the range increases out to about 125yds. So, with a 100yd zero, I could hold dead on to a deer anywhere from arms length to 125yds. I bet I never get a shot at a deer @ 125yds either !! LOL

I played around with BC number in the calculator, and for inside 100yds, BC doesnt do much of anything, only when you stretch out to 300yds and stuff like that does it come into play.

Tim, thats a great calculator above, what if that calculator was made into a sticky?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Not a bad idea

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I created a sticky in the Testing forum that contains many of the calculators that I use on a regular basis.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

OK, I am going to accept a 100yd zero.

On another note, I noticed that my brass (remington factory loads) are very very light loads. I can see the primer pushed back to reveal headspace, the primer edges are all very much rounded. This round leaves a whole lot of power available and untapped in the little mauser.

But, how much more? Anybody got load data? Anybody pushed .35rem to full house loads in a bolt action? what’ll it do?

Has any body pushed .35rem until it flattens primers?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I push everything till it flattens a primer. Or starts to anyway.

You should be getting better than 2000 FPS from that rifle.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

the factory ammo states 2050fps. no doubt that is accepted pressure for lever guns.

But, I am in bolt gun application now, I’m just curious how far I can throttle it up.

I like the recoil as is, it has some an authority feel to it, and the report is NOT that obnoxious CRACK from high speed guns. Some of the most obnoxious loud guns on the firing line is the short barreled AR, maybe because there is so many of them. The recoil on this is that of power, yet not that loud sharp crack. The difference between the report of (small) .223 and this is (big) amazing.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’m sort of a rule abuser ……
      I’ve found that a full case of too slow powder is often the ticket to get more out of cast than you expect .
      For ballistics advantages I like a low pressure flat curve that pushes all but or just past the muzzle .
      Maybe I’ve just been lucky with I4350 . It cleans up about 30kpsi and in most of my rifles has give me weight for weight very nearly jacketed speeds with cast . In the 32 Rem it actually out runs jacketed with cast by a wide margin . It will drive a 250 in a 358 Win 2100 with 5 in an inch . In 45-70 it delivered a full case with a 380 but only a 80% burn @ 1600 fps . It cleans up in a 45 Raptor (460 S&W in a 308 case) with a 350 at a little over 1600 fps but isn’t fun to shoot anymore in the 7# carbine .

Pick the slowest published powder and see if it’ll shoot then run it up .

I was with Ammohead when he shot a hog in the snout scrambled it’s brains broke it’s neck and lodged a 250 in the backstrap just behind the shoulder . 1900 fps 35yd 24-7″ of penetration breaking through the sinuses into the brain pan and breaking a vertibra . That from a Marlin in 35 Rem . Pretty impressive to me .

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.