Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      afish4570
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

I have an RCBS 200 gr. mold and a RD 180 FP TL mold. Contemplating the reboring of the 77 to a 35 Whelen with a 1-14 twist. Since signing up for this forum I am learning that a slower twist might be in order for higher velocity.Anyone pushing jacketed velocity with cast boolits in 356 and what twist should I be using for these 200 gr, RCBS to get as close to jacketed velocities?? I am using range lead from cast pistol and jacketed pistol ammo…..Have been water quenching and mostly using pistol boolits in action pistol event

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You’ll want to add some tin to that range lead. Use the calculator I posted and figure your range lead as 1.5% antimony and no tin.
      Add enough of whatever tin you can get to make it equal to the antimony content.
      Cast your bullets slightly frosty and water drop them.
      Use Carnauba Red AKA: 2700+ from lar45 on this forum. Use Hornady GCs.
      That will get you to about 2500FPS in your proposed 1-14 twist.
      If you want to bump it up to 2600FPS, then buy my 35XCB mold from NOE and cast your bullets from COWW + equalized tin per the specific calculator that I shared that has been adjusted, and cast them the same way. This will get you 27BHN and get you to 2950FPS.
      If you want to go faster than that, look at 1-16 or 1-18 twist, and plan on using Lyman #2 alloy.
      No guarantees though. I’ve gone 2600FPS and held 2MOA with my 35XCB cartridge, using my 35XCB bullet, with a custom charge of Leverevolution powder, and I have never seen anyone else pull that off. Not for ten shots at measured velocity and at measured distance.

The bigger the caliber, the harder it is to shoot HV with fast twist (and for 35 cal, 14 sure seems to act like it’s actually too fast).

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Correction, that was 9 shots in the group. Just found the target and forgot I had one flier. The hole on the right made room for two bullets.

onceabull
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 6

If you get a 200 gr cast bullet to 2500 FPS out of a Win.94AE, the recoil likely will let you know you have gone high enough !!! But, good luck on the effort… Onceabull

afish4570
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

Goodsteel;n2838 wrote: You’ll want to add some tin to that range lead. Use the calculator I posted and figure your range lead as 1.5% antimony and no tin.
      Add enough of whatever tin you can get to make it equal to the antimony content.
      Cast your bullets slightly frosty and water drop them.
      Use Carnauba Red AKA: 2700+ from lar45 on this forum. Use Hornady GCs.
      That will get you to about 2500FPS in your proposed 1-14 twist.
      If you want to bump it up to 2600FPS, then buy my 35XCB mold from NOE and cast your bullets from COWW + equalized tin per the specific calculator that I shared that has been adjusted, and cast them the same way. This will get you 27BHN and get you to 2950FPS.
      If you want to go faster than that, look at 1-16 or 1-18 twist, and plan on using Lyman #2 alloy.
      No guarantees though. I’ve gone 2600FPS and held 2MOA with my 35XCB cartridge, using my 35XCB bullet, with a custom charge of Leverevolution powder, and I have never seen anyone else pull that off. Not for ten shots at measured velocity and at measured distance.

The bigger the harder it is to shoot HV with fast twist (and for 35 cal, 14 sure seems to act like it’s actually too fast).

Thinking I should rebore my Ruger 77 3006 to 35 Whelen to 1-16 twist. I have the RCBS 200 gr FP .358 mould and it looks to be better suited for white tails with it large FP than the 35xcb with a more pointed design. The NOE picture shows a smaller meplat. afish4570

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That sure is what I would do on the twist rate, but you will not get the RCBS bullet to shoot much faster than 2400 while keeping usable precision intact. Also, please remember the deer I exploded with that bullet at 2050FPS. You want to shoot how fast?!?!

everybody looks at the sharp noses of my XCB bullets and turns their nose up, but there would be no problem if I made the bullet even stronger by wrapping it with a copper jacket?
      Wheres the logic here?
      If you’re actually planning on shooting at true HV, the bullets mushroom just like jacketed.
      When was the last time you went to the store for 30-06 ammo and bought a box that was loaded with 30-30 bullets?
      It doesn’t exist. Know why? Because hamburger is best made with a meat grinder rather than a bullet too weak and reactive for the application.

Another reason for the sharp point is aerodynamics. The whole concept of HV with accuracy is to make it possible for long range shots. Long range shots do not like flat noses.

I recall the very first mold I bought from Accurate was the 36-210A. I figured that big honking meplat would snuff da deers show-nuff!!!
      Well, in acual application, it doubled my group size at 100 yards simply because it flies like a brick.
      The more you ask of your bullet, the more your bullet must be shaped for performance.

The RCBS35-200-FN is an excellent bullet, and when used the way it’s supposed to be is about the best there is. Heck, I even load it hot in 38spc cases and shoot it in my 357.
      Part of the reason it shoots so very well is because it has a fairly small meplat, it has pretty decent bearing surface, and it’s about the right weight for the caliber.
      All I did with the 35XCB is make the weight perfect for caliber, I gave it even more bearing surface, and I carefully designed the nose to resist slump and give exceptional aerodynamics for long range shots.
      My plan is to cast this bullet out of House alloy and figure out how to push it in the 35XCB Long cartridge. Once I’ve got it lined out, I’ll simply drill a 1/16″ HP in the LR hunting bullets, and load the close range stuff with the RCBS bullet at 2000 FPS or less.

Now in your situation, you will find yourself stuck with a cartridge that really wants to run faster than typical cast does. Another perfect application of the discontinued SR4759.
      You have a cartridge that wants to push a 200 grain cast bullet to 2800-2900FPS, but everything from the twist rate to the bullet design requires you to hamstring it down to 2350ish FPS.
      Well, if you’re planning on reborring anyway, you’ve got some options.

First, as mentioned, slow that twist down. 16-18 is the ballpark.
      Second, ditch the 35Whelen throat with its .200 freebore.
      Third, use a decent HV bullet. You want something with an ultra small meplat, small lube grooves, over 65% bearing surface (after it’s been engraved by the rifling), something that weighs somewhere in the 215-240 grain range, something that is made by one of the custom makers who can give you rounder and straighter bullets than any of the old school venders ever could (to say nothing of absolutely perfect cavity to cavity similarity), and finally, cast these bullets using my consistency applied method so that the quality is top notch.
      Once you’ve got all that lined out, work up your loads carefully and I do believe you can use the 35 Whelen to its full potential with cast (or dam close to it).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.