This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  todd 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 38
    • Overall: 54

my first rifle is a winchester(post ’64) model 1894 in 30-30 win. we had some great times but i retired her for good (about 20+ years ago). i was moving (i forget where, it was 15-16 years ago) the m94 broke its front sight. then about 14 years ago, i noticed that surface rust was on the receiver. i tried everything and the kitchen sink but i couldn’t get it off. i took it to a gunsmith who could reblue it and he said “don’t waste your time, the receiver was made out of sintered metal casting.” so i took it home and i forgot to buy a front sight. and there it sat, until….

i was going to buy a mauser 98 or a montana rifle in 257 bob. i figured out that it would cost me x amount of dollars. or i could spend that amout and i could get a,b and c finally done. since it will take a couple of months to do the m94, (a & b i’m doing), i want to rebore it to 35-30/30. ( i have 30-40 krag and 165gr ranch dog.)
    http://www.35caliber.com/

since i’ve got into the cast boolits game, it seems like a great fit. the area that i hunt it will close range type of thing(deer/black bear), about 50 yards. but i will take it to 150 yards. i’ve been thinking that the 35-30/30 will need a “mans” boolit, 250 – 280gr fn gc, to do a “mans” game, deer/black bear. sorry, i’m laughing too hard!!! i believe it will go 1600-1800fps.

i’ll probably be using a peep sight, (its a top eject, 1973) and for the front sight it will plain small bead or a fire sight.

i want to do the 35-30/30 and i probably will. but what other calibers(38-55/26″+ barrel is on my bucket list) should i use?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Well, I can’t argue with the 35/30-30. I hope you are thinking of sending it to JES reborring. Go with the 3 groove rifling, you won’t regret it.

As to the sights, you’re tracking perfectly. I’d go with a Williams or Skinner on the rear, and marbles on the front.

I assume you have a gunsmith who can take care of the refinishing for you? If not, do let me quote you for rebluing the metal. True, the sintered receiver cannot be reblued with hot salts, but that doesn’t mean it cannot be reblued, and I daresay I’m a bit saltier than your average gun crank.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

yep its going to JES. i have been trying to find a old lyman peep sight. i have a skinner on my tc encore in 500L and i do enjoy it.

how do you reblue it?

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 219
    • Overall: 262

The 35-30/30 sounds like a great idea.  The only downside I can think of is the reloading dies.  Midway list them at $199.

The 38-55 would be alot cheaper to gear up for.

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

ch-4d sells them(both seater and resizing dies) for $87. besides, i have the 38-55 in a 26+ barrel in my bucket list.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.