This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 529
    • Overall: 585

NOE is running a group buy for 30XCB over at that other forum.

Somebody posted a youtube of XCB 500yards on a dinger. it must have been a very humid day, as you can see the bullet in flight. You can see the so-called rainbow trajectory in flight. I thought interesting enough to post a link.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

Cool video with flight path . I stole it and posted it elsewhere .

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

yeah, and, he said he did that with a 1:10 twist rifle.

that is 2moa with a 1:10 twist at Mauser speed.

I think pretty good.

We can READ about trajectory,

We can Calculate trajectory,

We can Understand trajectory,

but this is the first time I could SEE trajectory .

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 154

Good video. Thanks for posting

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Made a post here and edited it then when I hit submit it went “poof”………

Larry Gibson

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Larry, please repost.

Do you think that guy was making a bogus video or , not?

Larry Gibson 
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

“Do you think that guy was making a bogus video or , not?”

Don’t know.  But I do know this, I tried to help waco over on CBF but he wasn’t receptive as he was getting the usual smoke blown where the sun don’t shine by the amigo’s over on the artful forum.  I even, at Waco’s insistence, shot the HV 30 XCB loads I use in my 308W pressure test rifle with 10″ twist and also in my Palma rifle with a 14″ twist at 500 yards for him.  I shot 10 shot groups w/o the wait to keep the barrels cool.  I posted the results here a while back and that thread is still there for your purview.  After posting those results on waco’s thread on CBF waco basically blew me off.  He received his input from the amigo’s regarding H414 powders as “the powder to use”.  He then posted the video we see above.

Interestingly after the posting of the above video he posted on the artful forum that he shot that load and got 5 – 8″ groups at 100 yards with that very load from that rifle and was frustrated by the lack of accuracy.  Last I checked (was several weeks ago) he hadn’t posted anything else on the topic having moved on to jacketed bullets in other cartridges……….

So was he making a bogus video?………..your guess is as good as mine………..but those of us who have really forayed into HV shooting with cast bullets know the probable answer.  However, to give waco the benefit of the doubt (not sure why I should after his attitude toward my trying to help him?) , sometimes the Sun, the Moon, the planets and the stars all line up and things seeming go well, at least one time with a small sample of shots.  Then when we try the same load again we find we can’t reproduce the success of that one instance.  That may have been the case with waco’s last test………

Larry Gibson

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Maby the air was just right. High humidity I don’t know . I remember when younger we shot over a pond into the bank one spring afternoon. We could see the bullet flight into the bank easy like the video. Haven’t really ever  seen it  ever again like that  again.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Larrry I have made post like you said . Get it all done and hit submit and it acts like my internet connections is very slow. And then nonthing gone .

lkydvl 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 10
    • Overall: 17

bullet lube vaporizing in flight?

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

No, I doubt the lube. just high humidity that day and a high powered camera lens.

I think high humidity allows the sonic wave to show up more easily.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I have only seen this happen probably two times in the many times I have been shooting. It’s cool when it happens . When you can see the bullet flight all the way to the target that is awsom . You would thank that the bullet flight is kind of flate but when you see the bullet arc on its way to the target that is really cool

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Another indication of why I’m skeptical is;

I’ll add to the above post that I also offered to shoot with waco either meeting at some point between where he lives and where I live or over by Fort Rock (the rock formation at the front of his video) where he does his shooting.  I am well familiar with that area having hunted there numerous times over the years.  He, like all the others, especial the amigo’s, starmetal and bob (45 2.1)  who just claim HV accuracy with cast bullets turned me down.  Those who really have done HV cast bullet shooting seem to have no problem shooting with me………..

Larry Gibson

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Ah, I didnt know you already know this guy.

I was asking because he claimed 2600fps. IF he had claimed 2900 I would have already come to the answer.

I have tried cast in different of my rifles, different twists and calibers, and accuracy falls apart for me in the mid-2000 fps range. Since he was claiming 2600 and I think that is the upper end of ‘mid-2000’, I had to ask.

I do not yet have a slow twist cast bullet barrel. I only have factory rifles, and yes, they all fall apart when you do the math on Larry’s RPM method.

My best over-the-counter barrel is a .308 barrel, chambered in 7.62×39, in a M98. (for cast bullets)

It does better in the mid-2000 range than anything else I got. It is a comparable .30-30 load (high pressure in that little case.) it is a heavy bullet for 7.62×39, and push it to 30-30 speed in a M98. I would like to try the same thing in a slow barrel.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

I have one cast bullet load that, so far, has held right at 3 moa out to 200 at 2550 fps out of my 10″ twist .308W.  The problem is doing that consistently with under 2 moa with 10 shot groups………

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.