This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
     ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 115
    • Overall: 135

As I sit here this evening looking at the rifle I picked up yesterday, it still makes me  smile.  Possibly that is because I haven’t squeezed the trigger yet….time will tell.  A local shop on Friday posted this rifle late in the afternoon, and I was instantly curious.

I called a few minutes before the shop closed and inquired if it was still available.  It was still there, so I told them I would be there when the shop opened in AM.  Got up Saturday morning, drove to shop, and found myself 8th in line waiting for the door to open.  I went directly to the owner who I have dealt with before and he went in the back to get it. He pulled it off the rack when I called the evening before.  Awesome!!!

As I stood there looking at this beautiful Remington 700 BDL Deluxe, I couldn’t have been happier.  It was perfect, no marks and even included the one piece scope base/rings all in excellent condition.  The price was excellent in my book, so it followed me home!

Last evening I removed the stock and gave everything the once over and a fresh cleaning and inspection.  Wasn’t able to get the bolt out at first, which was a little concerning. I noticed the little tab just ahead of the trigger for releasing the bolt was stuck in the depressed position before removing the stock.  Found the thin metal plate had slid off one of the pins on the site of the trigger assembly.  Just cleaned and lubed everything and got the thin metal plate back onto the pins and everything looks and functions normally now.

Got the scope mounted this morning and loaded up 20 test loads basically to get the scope lined out.  First time using Imperial Size Wax today….WOW, what a great product!  Loaded up some 165 grain Noslers over ahealthy starting load of 78 grains of IMR 4831.  With any luck I’ll get to squeeze the trigger later this week!

I have talked to a few friends over the past few days and they all seem to have the same question…..”Why do you want that?”

Now I agree and admit, this is complete overkill for anything we hunt here in NC, but it still amazes me why people that know me ask these types of questions!  The answer is always the same!!!!   “I have the brass, so naturally the gun must have found me!”

But here is the most amazing thing about this entire weekend!  I didn’t have a set of dies, and I really wanted to load some this weekend.  I called the daughter on the way home from the gun shop and had here check amazon prime…$40 and change for the RCBS set.  I told her to hold off for a few minutes.  On my way home, I drive past a Bass Pro location which I dread visiting normally, but since I was there I wheeled in.  I walked down the reloading isle and to my amazement…there on the shelf is 5 sets of RCBS dies!  The reloading gods were smiling on my obviously! Granted I had to wipe a 1/4 inch of dust of the box, but never the less there they were on the very bottom shelf….Priced at $35.99!

More to come!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 678
    • Overall: 830

I was once given several boxes of loaded .270 and even more empties. I hurried and gave them away as the urge to get a rifle in .270 was already building.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

300 RUM outstanding  find..

I like the 700 BDL as well look forward to hearing how she stacks up.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 222

Most excellent find.  We’ll need pics of course 🙂

I’m going to use a 300 Win mag this year, which is way overkill for Arkansas, but I was digging through the closet and ran across it.  I haven’t hunted with it for over 20 years, so I pulled it out.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It’s a great firearm. The RUM is a barrel burning overkill king, but it’s not useless by any “stretch” (pun intended).

The fact is, if you’re trying to put down big animals at long range, it becomes increasingly difficult to deposit energy as the range increases. The RUM was designed as a succinct answer to this problem.

If I were you, I would take it to the range and see how it strikes you as far as precision goes. Some of those BDL’s were hell on wheels for what they were. I personally had a BDL that was made in the 70s that would give me 1.25″ groups at 200 yards on demand. Unfortunately, I liked shooting it so much that 1000 rounds later it tripled that group size. I roasted the hell out of it.

If this rifle shoots like mine, I would like to make a suggestion: Clean it thoroughly and send it off to be melonite coated. This process costs about $250 and will greatly improve the barrel life. Notice I said “improve”. Nothing lasts forever. However, in it’s current state, you’re only looking at 800 shots and it’s toast, and you have no idea how many shots it has taken so far (although it’s a pretty good bet it’s not been shot much).

If you do this, and take care to keep your barrel heat in check, this barrel could provide you with 2000 rounds of sweet pleasure before it coughs it’s last bullet.

Great find. Enjoy it!

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Have you ever had any experience with http://www.300below.com/ ?

They say that it’s supposed to increase the wear life of tools.  I wonder if it would help a barrel to last longer?

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

GoodSteel, I couldn’t wait to shoot this!  Like a kid in a candy store!  I don’t think I’m going to send it off to be treated, although I probably should!…any way if I did that, the barrel may last long and I couldn’t get you to re-barrel it for me!  LOL!

So for the quick range report….

I loaded up some 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and some 180 grain Sierra Boat tails for testing and getting the scope zero’d out.

No problem getting the scope taken care of and this rifle wants to shoot great right from get go!

I got it shot in about 2 inches high a 100 and the groups are about an inch + or – with a 4 shot group with the 165 gr Nosler’s.  I know it can do better, but I simply loaded 4 rounds of each charge….78,79,80,81,and 82 grains of IMR 4831.  The best group was the 82 grains and it appears the more I push them, the better it is getting. Recoil is sharp, but not much different than my 7mm Rem Mag with 160 grainers.

We ran out of time before I got to shoot all the groups of the 180 grain Sierra. Recoil is slightly more, but manageable for me.  Two friends are the range mentioned they were slightly disappointed with the recoil.  Honestly I thought is would be worse too!

More load development to do obviously, but very happy so far.

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Hunting season is over and I got a chance to take her out today.  Loaded up some test loads….

Today I was playing around with 180 Sierra Boat Tails. These were only at 100 yards, I am truly happy and can’t wait to stretch this RUM out when I get the chance!

45 degrees here today and we did have some breeze, but nothing major.

Sierra 180 Grain Boat tails / IMR 4831 / 78 Grains / 4 Shots

Sierra 180 Grain Boat tails / IMR 4831 / 79 Grains / 4 Shots

Sierra 180 Grain Boat tails / IMR 4831 / 80 Grains / 4 Shots

Sierra 180 Grain Boat tails / IMR 4831 / 81 Grains / 4 Shots

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Most excellent, looks like you’ve got a real shooter.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

If that’s not sub MOA, it’s not missing it by much. Congratulations, that’s about how my 300WM shot. Now, don’t do like me and roast it shooting trees in half at 200 yards. I’d stick with the 81 grain load and do everything you can to preserve that precision. Stretch it out, and spend a lot of time reading the wind before you make the shot. Keep the barrel cool and push a lot of patches through it after every range session. Remember you’ve only got about 800 shots at that level of precision if you’re lucky. Don’t wast it!!!

Again, Kudos on an awesome rifle!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us