Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

A new Stoner carbine barrel and it shoots jacketed with vary good accuracy. Problem is a very short and tight leade which will not accommodate any manner of cast I have yet tried. One thing I do NOT want to get into is extra work on the bullets like nose sizing. and I do not like deep seating either. I’m kinda thinking some kind of finish reamer for the throat….

I played around with a friend’s upper (unknown bbl mfg and unmarked) and it ate everything cast that I put together for it, especially the RCBS 165-SIL, up to 200 gr. All very accurately.

Y’all got any suggestions to remediate this situation?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

If the barrel is not flash chromed a throating reamer would be the quickest and simplest solution.

Larry Gibson

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

pof the 3 barels I’ve had, 2 were tight necked but long throat/leade. The other was loose necked. There are a lot of users shooting 125 jacketed stuff, the opposite crowd shooting long subs. Perhaps Stoner is making for the first crowd, more like the 40WT. As Larry says, reamer would work. A pound cast will show how much out-of-spec it is, what needs to be fixed. You could just get a proper barrel for some extra $$. I just use the mid-weight with no problems.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze

So, does anyone have a suggestion for an available barrel for an upper build, or do I go the reamer route?

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’m just now putting one together. I’ll try to assemble a dummy round with heavy cast this coming weekend. I bought a 311-230-FN for blackout from NOE, and will get at least one cast up.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

For inexpensive you can try BlackThorne products .
      The catch is that they have 2 barrel suppliers Wilson and Mossberg . So based on 5 min of research you have about a 1/6 chance of getting a barrel no better than what you have . On the other hand you can hit one of the quarterly clearance sales and get a complete upper under $300 to your door step. Barrels run around $150.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Email KAK, $150. Make sure leade is really the problem. I load a RD sized under bore and it doesn’t hit the leade.

1johnlb
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 13
      • Overall: 15

Couldn’t be a neck problem could it?

I had a cmmg barrel that certain brass wouldn’t feed because of it thickness, sticking on the neck.

My anderson eats everything I feed it.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze

1johnlb, nope. It’s a very abrupt start to the rifling with almost no leade, maybe none.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.