This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 138

i have been thinking of a new upper for my ar. I would think a 300 bo would be about perfect for a 200 yard cast bullet shooter. The problem is there all to fast of a twist for cast. What if I got a barrel chambered in 300 bo with a 1/14 or 1/12 twist? I will only want to shoot 100 gr to maybe 168 gr cast lead bullets or jacked .No heavy subsonic bullets . Most of my shooting will be with cast at 100 yards but would like to try 200 with either. Not really wanting it for hunting deer . What do you all think of this round as a cast bullet shooter

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 292
    • Overall: 293

My 18″ 1:10 carbine works fine for cast, 145gr PB.  I push it (2-2.1K fps) and get good results.  Works good with vmax & ssts, 150gr SPP and 168 Amax (just OK) @ 100 but case vol. is low so the moderate heavies can’t be pushed too fast.  1:8 might help there. You will have to push the light ones pretty hard to get the gas to work so maybe the 1:12 would work better.  I run the 100gr half jacket in 1:8 pistol with pistol powder and they go fast but won’t cycle. IMHO, 14 is too slow, 12 might work, 10 works fine.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 499
    • Overall: 549
    • Gold

I think a 14″ twist would fit your needs very well.  The throat is starting to erode in my 31″ 30×60 XCB (DAWN with a Broughton Palma contour barrel) which has over 3,000 top end loads pushing 49 – 50,000 psi.  When the throat is gone  I’m having Tim put the front 24″ of barrel on my Mini MK X in 7.62×39 and chamber it in same.  I think the 16: twist will be just perfect for 118 to 125 gr cast at max velocity.  Might even be very good with the 165 gr 30 XCB bullet.

Larry Gibson

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks for the info. Right now I got a extra lower needing to be built. I was thanking getting a 300 bo in 1 /12 or. 1 /14 twist. For mostely cast or a 9 mm 9×19 rifle leingth upper to use for my lower using a mean mag converter. There is also other converters I can use.  I want to use mostely lead bullets for target pratice . Each caliber would be cheep to load if we ever have a powder and primer shortage again. I mostely only shoot 100 yards or less now but can shoot up to 300 at my range. The problem is finding a bo barrel in 1 -12 or  1 /14 . I found a few but are kind of high custom barrels. I have found one company that’s decent in price will have to find out thanks

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 526
    • Overall: 581

300BO should work very well on a slow twist. After all, the .30BR is a small capacity case well proven in slow twist with light jacketed in bench rest competition.

300BO or 7.62×39 are both small capacity cases and that lends itself to a efficient cartridge. I had a Mauser98 with a generic 7.62×39 barrel (.308″) and it impressed me with comm-bloc ammo. I experimented briefly with cast and showed promise but I soon hit Larry’s RPM limit with cast. It acted like it wanted to do well though. It is easy to go up to .30-30 power with Lee 170gr cast. Larry’s mini mauser would be a hoot. Small, lightweight, and every bit a .30-30 hunter.

Of course the .30XCB would likely be a natural for this.

Not mention a little light plinker might go to 2900fps on prairie varmints.

My M98 7.62×39 had a x39 chamber and .308 bore, the large throat didnt seem to bother it. I did manage a few 1moa groups but did not push farther for custom ammo. If you seek sub moa shooting you may want a .30 throat, but the x39 throat will get equal to 1 moa, I cannot verify smaller than 1 moa.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Only problem I see is getting a ar barrel with a slow twist in 300 BO. Who makes them or are they a custom made only option. I have emailed the ar guy yesterday so still waiting. Apache gun works also does custom barrels but I don’t see ar barreled on his web site. Thanks for any info on where to buy a barrel

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 292
    • Overall: 293

McGowan or X-caliber HBAR carbine 1:11,12 280$ normal or 5 grove.

Took a while to get mine from McGowan (220$ IIRC and they put it together for me), several years ago but a good barrel.  I chose 10 as I use 10o – 190gr so it’s general purpose – and the slowest I could find at the time.

Let’s add a twist.  Larry uses 144k for the rpm threshold.  IIRC he uses mostly #2 alloy.  If you want softer alloy, you may want to go to the slower twist.  Bama found he didn’t smoke the fast stuff if he added copper to the alloy.  I used low Sb in my 1:8 pistol, pushed pretty hard and it worked, just Cu/Zn/Sb.  All my moulds are essentially smooth sided so lots of bearing surface.   So it’s not just stability for bullet length but fps & alloy too.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  popper.
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I also found xcaliber barrels also in 1-12

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us