This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 201
    • Overall: 224

i have been thinking of a new upper for my ar. I would think a 300 bo would be about perfect for a 200 yard cast bullet shooter. The problem is there all to fast of a twist for cast. What if I got a barrel chambered in 300 bo with a 1/14 or 1/12 twist? I will only want to shoot 100 gr to maybe 168 gr cast lead bullets or jacked .No heavy subsonic bullets . Most of my shooting will be with cast at 100 yards but would like to try 200 with either. Not really wanting it for hunting deer . What do you all think of this round as a cast bullet shooter

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

My 18″ 1:10 carbine works fine for cast, 145gr PB.  I push it (2-2.1K fps) and get good results.  Works good with vmax & ssts, 150gr SPP and 168 Amax (just OK) @ 100 but case vol. is low so the moderate heavies can’t be pushed too fast.  1:8 might help there. You will have to push the light ones pretty hard to get the gas to work so maybe the 1:12 would work better.  I run the 100gr half jacket in 1:8 pistol with pistol powder and they go fast but won’t cycle. IMHO, 14 is too slow, 12 might work, 10 works fine.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 559
    • Gold

I think a 14″ twist would fit your needs very well.  The throat is starting to erode in my 31″ 30×60 XCB (DAWN with a Broughton Palma contour barrel) which has over 3,000 top end loads pushing 49 – 50,000 psi.  When the throat is gone  I’m having Tim put the front 24″ of barrel on my Mini MK X in 7.62×39 and chamber it in same.  I think the 16: twist will be just perfect for 118 to 125 gr cast at max velocity.  Might even be very good with the 165 gr 30 XCB bullet.

Larry Gibson

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks for the info. Right now I got a extra lower needing to be built. I was thanking getting a 300 bo in 1 /12 or. 1 /14 twist. For mostely cast or a 9 mm 9×19 rifle leingth upper to use for my lower using a mean mag converter. There is also other converters I can use.  I want to use mostely lead bullets for target pratice . Each caliber would be cheep to load if we ever have a powder and primer shortage again. I mostely only shoot 100 yards or less now but can shoot up to 300 at my range. The problem is finding a bo barrel in 1 -12 or  1 /14 . I found a few but are kind of high custom barrels. I have found one company that’s decent in price will have to find out thanks

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

300BO should work very well on a slow twist. After all, the .30BR is a small capacity case well proven in slow twist with light jacketed in bench rest competition.

300BO or 7.62×39 are both small capacity cases and that lends itself to a efficient cartridge. I had a Mauser98 with a generic 7.62×39 barrel (.308″) and it impressed me with comm-bloc ammo. I experimented briefly with cast and showed promise but I soon hit Larry’s RPM limit with cast. It acted like it wanted to do well though. It is easy to go up to .30-30 power with Lee 170gr cast. Larry’s mini mauser would be a hoot. Small, lightweight, and every bit a .30-30 hunter.

Of course the .30XCB would likely be a natural for this.

Not mention a little light plinker might go to 2900fps on prairie varmints.

My M98 7.62×39 had a x39 chamber and .308 bore, the large throat didnt seem to bother it. I did manage a few 1moa groups but did not push farther for custom ammo. If you seek sub moa shooting you may want a .30 throat, but the x39 throat will get equal to 1 moa, I cannot verify smaller than 1 moa.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Only problem I see is getting a ar barrel with a slow twist in 300 BO. Who makes them or are they a custom made only option. I have emailed the ar guy yesterday so still waiting. Apache gun works also does custom barrels but I don’t see ar barreled on his web site. Thanks for any info on where to buy a barrel

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

McGowan or X-caliber HBAR carbine 1:11,12 280$ normal or 5 grove.

Took a while to get mine from McGowan (220$ IIRC and they put it together for me), several years ago but a good barrel.  I chose 10 as I use 10o – 190gr so it’s general purpose – and the slowest I could find at the time.

Let’s add a twist.  Larry uses 144k for the rpm threshold.  IIRC he uses mostly #2 alloy.  If you want softer alloy, you may want to go to the slower twist.  Bama found he didn’t smoke the fast stuff if he added copper to the alloy.  I used low Sb in my 1:8 pistol, pushed pretty hard and it worked, just Cu/Zn/Sb.  All my moulds are essentially smooth sided so lots of bearing surface.   So it’s not just stability for bullet length but fps & alloy too.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I also found xcaliber barrels also in 1-12

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.