Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

I have a 300 aac Blackout in a AR with a 1/8 twist . 16-1/2 inch barrel so it is on the heavy side App 8.5 lb so you can shoot a lot of rounds and not get your shoulder sore and with the longer barrel your ears don’t take a beating as well. I have a lot of fun with it. but I have not pushed it to 200-300 yards yet. (Carbine length gas port btw)
      enter RPM / cast train of thought — What are your experiences with cast at longer ranges

Will the 30xcb bullet work ( lighter than i currently shoot –so the xcb should be going faster)
      and will the xcb work in a M1 Garand

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I tried using the XCB boolit in the 300 BO and got poor results. Got a lot of lead shaving during chambering. Might get 2 shots and then jamb. Popper predicted this outcome and I have been wanting to ask about other alternatives as well.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I looked at the 30XCB bullet for 300AAC and found it to be lacking. If you seat it deep enough to not crash into the lands, then too much of it is in the case. It just doesn’t fit that cartridge. Shame too because I think it’s a fantastic 30 caliber bullet (best I’ve used in fact across the board).

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Mine is an 18″ 1:10, I use 145gr @ 2100 fps. BC is somewhere around .25-27 – that is where you run into problems with all good cast boolits. Just a lot of drop at that range. I optimized for PF (300) so at the bottom of 30/30 jacketed. Pretty much makes it a reliable 100yd gun for hunting. I had a 1:7 barrel that did fine @ 100. Working on a 1:8 10″ pistol that should be 200PF, still close to 100 yd hunter.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have been contemplating using heavies in my BO. NOE 311-230 or 311-247. Anyone have experience with these? Perhaps someone has some cast up they would be willing to part with?

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’ve loaded some 31-172C (PB) & 31-184C (GC) for the BO. They feed OK with lancer mags. My PC version of the RD without crimp groove. Got to go test fire them. They work great in the 30/30. I’ve heard comments that the 247 doesn’t do well in the BO.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Question on the basic shape of the boolit for BO in an AR. Regardless of weight/length I would think one would want a boolit that had a parallel section of proper diameter to make the neck of a loaded round fit properly in the chamber and not be seated too deeply into the case, then fitted to the throat of the particular chamber, then a bore riding section to fit the bore of the particular rifle? Yes? No?
      I would want as generous a meplat as possible for hunting or perhaps even a hollow point. Function of the loaded rounds would be high priority obviously.
      I am trying to narrow down my options before purchasing a mold and then not being able to use the boolit. I want to cast for this rascal because the price of bullets for it could be a major expense considering how much fun it is to shoot.
      Perhaps a better question would be: what boolit in the 230 to 250 gr. range would you think could work for what I want to do?

Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 17

Bodean98;n11645 wrote: Question on the basic shape of the boolit for BO in an AR. Regardless of weight/length I would think one would want a boolit that had a parallel section of proper diameter to make the neck of a loaded round fit properly in the chamber and not be seated too deeply into the case, then fitted to the throat of the particular chamber, then a bore riding section to fit the bore of the particular rifle? Yes? No?
      I would want as generous a meplat as possible for hunting or perhaps even a hollow point. Function of the loaded rounds would be high priority obviously.
      I am trying to narrow down my options before purchasing a mold and then not being able to use the boolit. I want to cast for this rascal because the price of bullets for it could be a major expense considering how much fun it is to shoot.
      Perhaps a better question would be: what boolit in the 230 to 250 gr. range would you think could work for what I want to do?

Here’s a reference link that addresses your question. I’m very excited by the research being done and hopefully this guy( bama ) will not only publish, but will also make the tooling.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?315642-Accurate-PC-350-Yds-part-1&p=3854110#post3854110

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Check this out. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?315642-Accurate-PC-350-Yds-part-1
      Not a BO but pretty well done. BO has a long throat to fill out, then the bore-riding section needs to be just right. Mag/feeding COL restrictions and enough room left in case for powder. Check out the 300blktalk forum for the heavies – 230 seems to be the biggest in AR. For real heavies the tendency is 458 SOCOM.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the links!
      I’ll see if I can get some reading in after Thanksgiving dinner!
      Fat chance of that happening, more like take a nap! 😎

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

An RCBS 7.62-130-SPL arrived earlier in the week. Very nice mold. I have a couple hundred cast and they are about perfection. Gator checks are an easy press fit and crimp on well thru a push thru sizer (Lee .311 lapped out to .3125). If I have time today I am going to PC them with HF red. Looks like they will work in both an AR BO (1:8 carbine) and an AR 7.62×39 (1:10 carbine).

I’m thinking some very inexpensive fun!

Have I ever mentioned that I like RCBS molds!

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

31-172C PB RD style from 1:8 BO pistol.  Had the scope on it this time but hand guard kept coming off so group is not great. 15gr 1680.  GC version works as well, About my 3rd time shooting the pistol – takes some getting used to.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.