Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 28

I was just forming some 300 Savage brass from 308 and as I was grinding away on the beautiful long neck that results in order to get to the correct length, I began to wonder why I was wasting it.  I took 3 pieces and trimmed the neck to .300″. (300 Savage…neck .300″, just seemed to fit.)  loaded some 30XCB bullets, the flat nose hunting bullet, to the crimp groove and found they would fit in  the magazine. They would cycle through the mag, but of course the chamber is too short for the bolt to close.

Is there any reason I couldn’t run a 30-30 reamer in far enough to extend the neck to .300″, and still be able to use regular 300 Sav ammo if desired?  Stoopid idea?   More trouble and expense than it is worth??   Unworkable?  That long neck surely would be nice for cast.  Just ream it to 308?  What do you think?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I been thinking the similar thing for a long time, let us all know how it works.

I hadnt thought of trimming to .300, but thought of using 300Sav dies to make a long neck from 308 brass.

Yeah, that should be a dandy for cast, nice case size, and long neck, common .30cal, it should be very efficient with that size case volume. Now, if you could barrel that in a 1:14 twist…….???

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The neck diameter of the 30-30 is almost certainly too thin. Try a 30-06.

Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze

Ok, ream with a 30-06.  But is it a good idea?  What are the unintended consequences?  I’m a babe in the woods here.

lkydvl
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 10
      • Overall: 17

A 30 cal neck and throat reamer would be the best approach.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

OK, what rifle are you considering working on?

Savage 99? Rem 722? what 🙂

Mike

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

In my opinion, the length of the neck means absolutely nothing. In fact, it may be a detriment to precision if anything (contrary to common belief). The only possible advantage of having a long necked cartridge is keeping all your lube grooves sealed and keeping the gas check captured, but with what we now know about lube groove design, and modern White Label lubricants, coupled with the effortless process of designing a custom bullet that fits your particular cartridge, I see no reason to make the cartridge bow to the bullet (which was necessary in years past).

If it were me, I’d have to have a reason to do this rather than arbitrarily reaming a longer neck just for the heck of it, if for no other reason that it leaves the door wide open for Mr.Murphy to show up and throw you under the bus (For instance: oops……went too deep with the neck/throat reamer. Oops, touched the shoulder with the 30-06 reamer and now my brass is ribbed for her pleasure…….) Not that it would happen, but it is a consideration that needs to be weighed.

Just a few crumbs for thought.

Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze

This would be a Savage 99 and while I have an unlimited amount of respect for Goodsteel’s savvy, that little short 300 saavage neck looks like an invitation to run out on the bullet. But like I said, I am a babe in the woods and I asked for opinions.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I think the short neck bringing on poor accuracy is a hold over from the switch from .222 Remington to 5.56/.223. It seems to not be as big of a deal nowadays. Also, the .308 has a shorter neck than the .30-06, and it does not seem to hinder its accuracy. The 6.5 Grendel doesn’t have much of a neck either. A buddy has a Savage 99 in .300 Savage, and he shoots groups less than 1.5″ at 100 yds. That might not seem real good, but he only shoots it about twice a year. Using whatever factory ammo is on sale (if any).

How does yours shoot now?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If I had a good .300Sav rifle, I would not ream its throat just to try this,

but, if I had a barrel blank, I would try it in a minute.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Goodsteel wrote: ..if for no other reason that it leaves the door wide open for Mr.Murphy to show up and throw you under the bus………….

You Called???

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Lots of take off barrels around,

Leave the original alone

What accuracy are you expecting out of a vintage Savage 99?

Mike

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

Would the barrel have to be taken off to get a neck and throating reamer in there?

Or could you just dissasemble everything and be able to get a Tee handle with extension in there?

Another thought, what would it take to convert one to 308Win?  Is the magazine assembly made to just fit the length of the cartridge that it was originally built for?  (thought I read that somewhere??)  Or just swap in different magazine parts?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I agree, leave the original alone, the thing to do ( I believe) is to try this on a old mauser.

start with a .308 barrel set back, or a blank, and begin with a 300Sav chamber, test it,then throat it, re-test it, and if Mr Murphy actually shows up (I doubt it) it could be cleaned up to a .308 chamber.

If the 300-308 experiment fails, you end up with a .308 mauser. or 30-06, or 30XCB, or ????

Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze

I don’t know how it shoots.  The only way I can see the small front bead is to elevate it to the middle of the buckhorn rear sight.  I can almost make it out with plenty of daylight around it.  I couldn’t hit the side of a barn if I was standing on the inside.

All this speculation was brought about by the time I am spending trying to accumulate the money to get either an aperture sight or put some glass on the rifle.

I think I will just shoot it as is till I get some idea of how it will shoot.  Might not shoot at all but is shore is purdy.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Glenn, the only way to get a reamer in there is to pull the barrel. That said, if Terrel has a takedown model, it’s a walk in the park. The magazine consideration is valid as the rotor on those rifles are made per caliber.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.