Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have a 49′ Stevens bolt action 30-30 that looks like the shoulder is just a fluid line to the neck which seems to be the only defined line on the whole case. I don’t mind that the shoulder is full or even the weird shoulder ,it headspaces on the rim …..doesn’t it. Anyway the rifle is not picky about bullets it seems to be capable of shooting a NOE 311-230 in a 12 twist which seems pretty improbable also but it does.

Should I try to clean up the shoulder area ? Is it possible the some time in the last 65 yr it was “Ackley’d” and just gunked up to look like a radius shoulder and is polished hard carbon?

Maybe I just need sleep and the recoil therapy has given me a concussion and made it too hard to think clearly. ………. πŸ˜‰

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Wisdom: The ability to look more closely than other people do, while maintaining a good grasp of what is important and what is not.

I would make sure the rifle is clean, make sure it shoots well……….and then let the rough edge drag.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Don’t “fix” if it aint broke.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I’d neck size the cases for your bolt gun, work up a load and go huntin’…..

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Happens that I have a spare 308 set that will take about half the neck back down to about 309 .
      I did get a 40 cal wonder brush and scrubbed the chamber good. So I’ll know if the shoulders are round or square ,I always liked the Weatherby shoulder .

Any advice on the 325/340 1 action screw bedding?
      I read something about a guy doing 1 recently and having drilled and tapped a rear tang screw making it sort of like a pre 64 M70 with the 3 screws.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.