This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  todd 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 38
    • Overall: 54

my 1898 spr armory(bubbasized) in 30-40 krag with a 21 3/4″+/- barrel.

i am using redfield 102k peep sights and it goes 1 3/4 – 2 1/2″ at 100 yards(5 shots/bench).

165gr ranch dog(173gr actually)

25.5gr of h4198

1930fps(avg of 5 shots)

other groups done with original sight. 100 yards/bench (sorry, i don’t have the h4198)

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

this was when my grandfather gave it to me.  it was restocked sometime in the early 1960s.

when my grandpap passed away, the original stock came to me. it was black and dusty from sitting in his basement rafters. i then sanded it with very fine steel wool and then several coats of johnson paste wax.

i cleaned the bore down to bare steel and i mean clean!!!!!! 7 or 8 hours, 6 or 7 days(not consecutively,took me about a month) to clean it. i used sweets, shooters choice and gunslick’s foaming bore cleaner. i don’t how many cotton patches i used but it was a bunch!!!

there were copper spirals, black gunk, copper pieces, some more black gunk and some black gunk!!! i believe, at the time, that oil was the cleaner. i scrubbed out 110+ years of gunk and copper and cupro nickel to boot.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

She’s a looker for sure .

I’ve had a couple cleaning projects like that. I actually gained .003 on an o6′ once first slug was .304 at the muzzle …. Don’t know how it was managed but it was .310 in the throat and all but free fall to the last 3″ or so . In the end there was a choke under the roll stamp which just a few fire laps fixed and when last I saw it it had a .307 muzzle .

todd 
    Participant
    • Bronze

it was day 3 or 4, when the patches came out clean as a whistle.  so i decided to slug the barrel. i did and black gunk and copper spirals and some more black gunk came out before the slug did.  so i spent 3 or 4 days more!!!! i should have measured the slug but i was amazed at the “pile” of gunk i just did.

i measured the slug after i cleaned the barrel and it is .3085″.  i now use .311″ 165gr ranch dog.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.