This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kens 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

On April 6th Char-Gar made the subject post on CastBoolits reading “I am looking to duplicate the USGI M2 round and am looking for a source of decent 150 grain FMJ bullets at a decent price. Any ideas?”

This thread has a tremendous amount of techicnal info for M1 Garand shooters, and much more.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?331992-30-06-M2-bullets

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 507
    • Overall: 561
    • Gold

Multigunners incorrect opinions and hallucinations and now personal attacks have ruined that thread. He is an idiot. It was a good discussion before he began his inane, narcistic interjections. I don’t mind anyone stating their opinion, even if incorrect. But his argumentative interjections just to prove others wrong and argue when they’re not is ridiculous. Unfortunately I am done with that thread.

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

No sense beating a dead horse. Scharfschuetze even posted. But to no avail. Some know it all. Did you notice my last line in post #41 Larry?

Char-Gar’s post #43 may have captured the futility: “Sigh…and all I wanted was some M2 bullets.”

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

OK, I just couldn’t resist. I made one last post, #56, with a simple question. “What was the original post?” Yeah, I’m a smart ass.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

It was agood thread and he could have added to it with pertinent questions and even some information. However he is just a keyboard kammando who pontificates with incorrect and unsubstantiated opinions.

I’m sure his twisted logic will probably have me or Scharfschuetze at fault for taking the thread off course…

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

If the people following the pack can’t figure it out when they gather around the tree, then I let my dogs out in the wrong county.

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 73
    • Overall: 86

I Have a bad memory –But did I read in the other post-

he shot 12oz Bottles at 200 yds standing with a garand — He must be a great shot

Im lucky to hit a paper plate at 100 standing
    Im not to bad when I shot IPSC rifle to hit a Target at 100 after doing a course of fire as a last shot

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

Ha, ha! Yes, that was a tirade filled post and does not speak well of the moderation in the fora there. I thought only liberals, progressives and the PC police rewrote history, but we saw the concept in full bloom in that thread.

I am scheduled to meet for lunch and a beer with one of the moderators and sometimes pen pal while in Savannah later this week. Unfortunately he is in poor health and has not contributed much as a result lately.

he shot 12oz Bottles at 200 yds standing with a garand — He must be a great shot

It’s directly related to the 3 MOA M2 bullets that he is using. We can’t do that with match bullets yet. 🙂

Anonymous
    • Bronze

here is something I found 308 and 30-06

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

JHSFun;n15637 wrote: here is something I found 308 and 30-06

Those are standard specification sheets. I think I posted those on the CBF thread but no sense confusing multigunner with facts as his opinion and interpretation is all that matters to him, after all he is a keyboard commando…….

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Hey Rattlesanke Charlie…..looks like I was right, he lambasted Scharfschuetze. I’m sure Scharfe is “in his corner” sobbing about it…….. :rolleyes:

Should tell multigunner to carefully read the site he posted as proving him correct. Garand was working on several designs with the M1906 cartridge, especially using primer actuated operation, just as Scharfschuetze said. The first prototype M1 rifle was made in ’29 wrapped around the 276 cartridge juast as I said. The “T1” prototype M1 rifle in 30-06 was made after the 276 prototype in ’30 just as I said. Says so right there in the Park service site. The “T” series prototype rifles were designed to function with the M1 Ball ammunition, just as Scharfschuetze said. The M2 ammunition specification was raised to 2810 fps at the same MAP as M1 Ball ammunition, just as I said. Oh well…….

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The weather sure is better here on this forum.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Char-Gar has requested thread be locked as multigunners’s last couple posts are way out there………I got one last post in that is informational and on topic to Char-Gar. Might check it out, it’s an interesting bit of perspective from Roy Dunlap circa 1950.

Larry Gibson

Anonymous
    • Bronze

Im Bad today– I posted over there too

Anonymous
    • Bronze

In post #8 I posted what the goverment thought a Match load should be

The mailman Brought some Hornady 155 and some 168 Match BTHP –I have some IMR and H 4895

what do I need to do to make these into the best I can do Ammo
    for M14 – 10 twist
    Garand 10 twist
    Custom Bolt in 13 twist — Still waiting for barrel to be made

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Wow. The subject thread on “the other forum” sure did take a turn for the worse.

I’m going to start a new thread on this forum looking for the best ammo we can reasonably reload now for our beloved Garands.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

This is exactly why we are here and not there. If the moderators attempt to stifle obvious bad information, they are ousted soon after, and the same happens if anyone makes a habit of being right too often.
    That makes for a wonderful feel good feeling place, but if you need real information, and you honestly DO NOT ALREADY KNOW its impossible to distinguish fact from crap. In my opinion, that makes any source of information useless.
    Hopefully, GSF will continue to be heavy on facts and light on pontification. I want incomplete and misguided “internet information” to shrivel and die when it comes here.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

JHSFun;n15650 wrote: In post #8 I posted what the goverment thought a Match load should be

The mailman Brought some Hornady 155 and some 168 Match BTHP –I have some IMR and H 4895

what do I need to do to make these into the best I can do Ammo
    for M14 – 10 twist
    Garand 10 twist
    Custom Bolt in 13 twist — Still waiting for barrel to be made

Your IMR and H 4895 will work fine in both cartridges in all three rifles.

W
    In the M1A with the 155s work up to 44 gr 4895 in the 7.62. With the 168s 41.5 H4895 and between 41.5 and 42.5 gr IMR4895.

In the M1 with the ’06 work up to 48.5 of either 4895 with the 155s. With the 168 MKs I always used 46.5 gr H4895 or 47 gr of IMR4895 for a match load.

With your custom bolt 13″ twist barrel the 4895 loads will work ok but if the barrel is 26″ or longer in .308W better results will be with Varget. 48.5 gr for the 155s and 44.5 – 45 gr for the 168s. For LR (600 – 1400 yards) I prefer the 175 MK, yes it will stabilize perfectly in a 13″ twist.

I use milsurp cases (mostly LC these days) in the M1A and M1. I use Winchester cases in my bolt guns. I use WLR or CCI #34 primers.

For the M1A and M1 I use an RCBS X-die for 5+ times the case life. In my bolt guns I NS with Redding NS dies or with Redding Bushing dies. However, the Lee collet die in .308W also does an excellent job of NSing.

Larry Gibson

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

funny, I still have a box of M2 Projectile from the Arsenal (Frankford) in the original box.. Often though about just biting the bullet so to speak and send the prints and sample to Larry Blackmon and having a set of dies made to swage those. Although if I get off my lazy tail I could swage some 150 FB that would be real close with my current dies but the ogive would be a bit different but not by much.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Well, I just read thru most of that thread, WOW!!

That thing really got derailed…….and yet it kept going!!

Larry was right about that.

That guy went into Teddy Rooseveldt big medicine, and hunting deer with FMJ,,,,,,,,,and all the original guy posted was some bullets to load!!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.