This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 176
    • Overall: 205

Hi guys,

There’s an older gentleman in camp that shoots a 270 Weatherby mag and has 6 boxes of empties that he’s been collecting over the years and wants me to reload for him. He’s always shot the 150 partition factory loads.  So my thought is to chrono the factory loads, take the oal from them also and try to shoot for the same velocity. Probably just neck size the brass also.

He says that he’s always been able to get 1/2 – 3/4″ groups with Weatherby ammo. So we’ll see when I get it sat down on the bench.

Does anybody have any experience with this caliber, and have any suggestions as to powders and primers? …

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2449
    • Overall: 2656

No experiance, but I’ll bet you’d have to shoot a whole box of ammo in three shot bursts to get three of them to magically land in a 3/4″ group. With Partitions? Riiiiiiiigggggghhhhhht………….

Anywho, you can certainly get the same velocity, if the rifle is in fact a Weatherby. They throat those things a mile long so they can intentionally be overloaded. Let your case head diameter be your guide.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I don’t remember exactly what the max expansion is.   .0005″ at the belt?

Maybe measure a factory round while I’m chronographing them and checking for the actual group size.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Lower pressure rounds, like the .30-30 Winchester, usually yield maximum pressures at .0003″-.0004″ expansion. Modern cartridges, like the .223 Remington, will show maximum pressure at .0004″-.0005″, while .308 Winchester, .270 Winchester, etc., typically yield .0005″-.0006″ expansion at max pressure. Magnums, like the .300 Winchester Magnum, show maximums at .0006”-.0007” expansion, and should be measured on the belt. 

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/simple-trick-monitoring-pressure-your-rifle-reloads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us