- December 11, 2016 at 3:18 pm #31971
Ok, I am back. Health and family.
So, every thing I read about this caliber is “I can’t hit the barn with it!!” I also had that problem. I did a lot of research, and found that if it moves out at around 2000 fps, she will shoot good. I knew there had to be a trick, because I have pics of my father and grandfather smiling with their kills. I also “knew” that with a 16 inch barrel, it had to be loaded differently. WRONG!!
While I had time on my hands, I ran 10 for a test. Two targets. The first at 85 or 100 yds. You could cover them with a nickel! The next 5 I had a much higher wind, bit still made a nice ring surrounding the bulls eye. Happy? You bet.
117g hornady RN. 28.5g CFE 223. According to my conversation with Hornady, we have 2404 fps, and 36100 CUP
Btw, got a new phone too. Gets me here easier, still not sure I like it. Sure do like the new loads though.
- December 11, 2016 at 4:32 pm #31975
How about a photo of that rifle?
That caliber has always fascinated me, but I’ve never owned one. I do have reloading dies for it. You know how that goes ….
- December 11, 2016 at 6:45 pm #31980
For some reason, I can’t get it to upload on the phone. I will keep trying.
- December 11, 2016 at 6:55 pm #31981
It may be too large of a file. I think 10mb is the limit for this site. I have had to copy to my home computer, edit to reduce the size, then upload.
- December 11, 2016 at 7:10 pm #31983
Wow. Love it. I think my .25-35 bug just started kicking again.
- December 11, 2016 at 9:05 pm #31988Bodean98Participant
- Posts: 8
- Comments: 103
- Overall: 111
That is schweeeeeet!
- December 11, 2016 at 11:46 pm #31993Larry GibsonParticipant
- Posts: 55
- Comments: 507
- Overall: 562
- December 11, 2016 at 11:58 pm #31994Capt45Participant
- Posts: 3
- Comments: 14
- Overall: 17
Very nice; and expensive to buy!!
- December 12, 2016 at 12:20 am #31998GoodsteelKeymaster
- Posts: 208
- Comments: 2452
- Overall: 2660
I second the “schweeght”. Very nice!
Oh and welcome back. What phone did you get? I’m in the market as it were.
- December 12, 2016 at 2:32 pm #32017
Lg v20. Seems to do what I want.
- December 12, 2016 at 2:38 pm #32018
She was made in 1910. As Grandfather was a coal miner, I am sure that this was the best that he could afford. He carried this when he tended the stills so he cut the” length” himself. I have papers from the BATF from when he applied for the permit for it in ’34. ( In the bank!!!)
Btw, thanks for appreciating it.
- December 12, 2016 at 3:03 pm #32020RegParticipant
- Posts: 40
- Comments: 256
- Overall: 296
Saddle rifle deluxe !!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.