Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The 223 Nosler is still in diapers, and now we have a new AR15 compatible in .223. Will either of these work with common magazines?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Ar 15’s have always been compatable with 223. I don’t understand that statement.

I’m just going to throw this out there: It seems America is losing is infatuation with magnumitus, and some of these cartridges are just holding onto the past.

People are getting the picture that you can remove half your case capacity (and the cost of doing business with a certain cartridge verses a smaller version) and you only lose 10% of your capability. By the same token they are seeing how much it takes to gain 10% performance from a tried and true cartridge.

I see both of these as total barrel burners and if you wanted to hit a target at 1000 yards, I don’t understand why in Gods name someone would grab an AR-15 to get the job done. No matter how powerful the cartridge is, the platform will never match a bolt action for precision, and there are excellent cartridges that get you to 1000 yards without roasting the throat of your barrel within one brick of primers.

Its like putting racing slicks on a farm truck IMHO.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I understand that some cartridges such as  Grendel do not work in most .223 magazines for AR15. I was curious if the same problem existed for this new cartridge. I was surprised that the .223 necked up to 6mm failed to take off. Same for .25-45 Sharps. A lot of people use their AR15 for hunting deer, and it seems that heavier bullets than even the 62 gr in .223 would be a better choice.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Im wondering when the .308 1 1/2, AKA 30BR is gonna take off, that one is exactly what Tim is talking about; the smaller case only losing a little bit compared to the full size bretheren. Arent the bench rest guys turning a something like 3000fps with a 130gr bullet on that little case?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hey RC, I own only one precision rifle at the moment, and its chambered in 6×45. It has a faithful following, but its so darn easy to make, there just isnt a lot written about it, or advertised for it.

Don’t mistake lack of advertisement for popularity. There will always be folks who drool over the glossy gun rag fodder, but there’s also a large number of people who understand ballistics, and how to use just enough to get the desired result.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hey RC, I own only one precision rifle at the moment, and its chambered in 6×45. It has a faithful following, but its so darn easy to make, there just isnt a lot written about it, or advertised for it.

Don’t mistake lack of advertisement for popularity. There will always be folks who drool over the glossy gun rag fodder, but there’s also a large number of people who understand ballistics, and how to use just enough to get the desired result.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Looks like the .224 Val is based on a case similar to the 6.8 SPC which would require a different magazine much like the grendel based cartridges than the standaard .223 / 5.56.

The 6×45 will use the standard AR15 223 magazine as the parent case is the 5.56 if the correct leade is used on the reamer (varmint length bullets versus heavier /longer) unless one uses a standard Bolt action that is not confined by the AR15 magazine.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Well there are a lot of things happening these days that I don’t necessarily agree with.

.300Blackout, has IMO earned a place at the table.

But it seems to work fairly well as a single shot or bolt gun.  Ease of finding/converting brass, using existing .30 cal molds/bullets makes sense to me.

But IMO do not really elevate it above the other 30’s at the table. Except that it will fit in AR Mags, and cause a certain number of AR’s each year to go BOOM when people try to fire a .300BO round in a .223 barrel.

25/45 sharps, what the heck is that but someones idea to throw the sharps name out there and see if they can use it to get people to spend money. Right?

Don’t drink the Kool-aid folks.

Yes there are better ways to get a good long distance precision rifle IMO, other than shoehorning it into an AR.  But some people do like the AR’s, and I suspect that crowd spends a fair amount of money.  They appear to do so without spending a whole lot of attention to what they are spending it on.

Course I’m just a crusty ol fart who does not even own one, so don’t believe anything I say.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

just a passing shot……….

The AR is not a bad platform are there better???? probably and yes one option is the RPR (Ruger Precision Rifle) as well as others.

I have two one in 5.56 and the other in 6.5 Grendel .  One good for Hogs the other vermin,  but both will dispatch two legged vermin with a passion .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I sure would like to see the frames that follow the shot fired.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.