Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Just got an e-mail flyer from Natchez. CCI standard velocity 5000 rounds for $449.49, and free shipping. That’s 9 cents per round. Finally, things are getting better. I doubt we’ll ever see $9.99 bricks again.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Things are definitely getting better. I still can’t decide who was to blame for the shortage. I’m just glad my daughter will have 22 to train with!
      I really do not mind the higher price. If you do an inflation crunch and project the $9.99 price to the present day, the prices are just a little bit more than they should be, and that’s bound to change once the pressure is off for a while and it soaks in.
      I was an idiot for not buying ahead. My dad believed in being prepared, and I understand why, but somehow it didn’t sink in that these things go in cycles and they generally get worse. I’ve got my ears screwed on straight now though.
      Never again.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

If everyone would stop buying we would see drastic price reductions back to where they should be. At least down to a tolerable $18 – 20 a brick before Obama. Same with powder and primers. As long as we keep paying the exorbitant prices they will not go down. I can reload quality cast bullet 22LR equivalent loads in my 22 Hornets and .223s for less than 5 cents a round.

I recently bought some Norma Match 22LR and paid a pretty penny for it. It’s probably the last 22LR I’ll buy. As old as I am I’m going to start shooting up my “stash” anyways……..

Larry Gibson

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I have seen a lot of stuff come down in price because companies bought believing Hillary would win the election.

Now they are stuck with a ton of stuff they can’t sell.

It is a buyers market on clips.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I bought some 22 a while back $44/500 .
      i guess I need to shoot up the Squibmann from 1972 and get started on the 90s FC,Blazer and Win . Of course I only have about 4500 Rd on hand including the old stuff .
      I doubt we’ll see $50/1k again .

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have taught my Starling to say Donald Trump.
      He is a pretty cool little bird.
      I never knew Starlings could talk but , this one talks a good bit.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Starlings can be taught to talk? I never knew that. I do remember that they used to roost in the barn on cold nights. And, the cats used to usher me to the hayloft with my BB gun.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Rattlesnake Charlie;n13264 wrote: Starlings can be taught to talk? I never knew that. I do remember that they used to roost in the barn on cold nights. And, the cats used to usher me to the hayloft with my BB gun.

Yes starlings can talk, so can Crows, and Ravens.

This one fell out of a nest and was lying on it’s back dying and my wife picked it up and raised it.
      My wife is a Veterinarian.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Yesterday I saw 22LR mini-mags for $10 for 100 round box.

I’d like to see a little cheaper, as we all would.

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

It is not getting any better here.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

With all due respect Larry, IMO the problem with that theory is that there is just too much demand. Every day there are more people in the world than the day before.
      Shooting sports are on the rise, .22lr is being made at max capacity and is only slowly catching up to demand.

Who do you expect to stop buying? When I can get the Federal champion auto match 325 round packs for 7 cents and under I buy them. Mostly online, and mostly 2-3 thousand rounds at a shot.

Then I can coast for a while.

I do not expect to ever seen .22lr ammo go back down below the 6 cent a round mark as a general rule. Lose leader sales perhaps, limited quantities most likely.
      But I strongly feel that the old days are gone.

I won’t call it money, money holds it’s value. Currency does not buy what it used to. Costs do not go down for raw materials, they go up.
      Costs of labor and insurance go up. They are not going to make it and sell it at a loss. They’ll shut the factory’s down first.

Yes there has been some hoarding. Yes some try to sell it for inflated prices.

I have never sold a round except for a few hundred rounds to keep my shooting partner in stock. And I charge exactly what I paid.

If you want a stash of .22lr and you did not stock up when they were cheap well it will cost you to stock up now.

I have two grandchildren who will want to shoot someday. I have some 4k rounds gifted to me for them by my father in law, and I have added to that stash some. Mostly I have been slowly burning his old stock which is probably 25 years old or more. And replacing it with new stock. I have gained on the stack a little, but only a little.

They are 3 and 4 now, who knows what .22lr will sell for in 10 years when they are ready to teach.

But I won’t care, because I planned ahead.

Sorry if I don’t have much pity for those who didn’t.
      So am I one of those who buys too much?

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I started buying .22lR by the case when I saw for sure Obama was going in the first time.

I got them pretty cheap , because most people didn’t see what was coming.

I have bought some along as I find them now, but most standard velocity or match .22LR ammo has always been pricey as compared with the junk ammo.

Availability may get better on .22LR now after a year or so, but I doubt the price will change much.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

GhostHawk

With all due respect Larry, IMO the problem with that theory is that there is just too much demand. Every day there are more people in the world than the day before.
      Shooting sports are on the rise, .22lr is being made at max capacity and is only slowly catching up to demand.

Who do you expect to stop buying?

I don’t expect “everyone” to quit buying. That’s why I started off with “If”…………I was just ranting or lamenting………..there is indeed “way too much demand”………

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Inflation marches on fellers. I have an old friend across town who is pushing 90. Before I got real busy, I spent hours with this gent, talking about everything firearms related from the depression to the present. We had fun pouring over old catalogs like Herters from the late 50s to the early 70s. This was back 5 years ago, but we crunched lots of prices and did averages, so we could find that point where things cost exactly 1/10th what they did in 2012. That point was definitely 1961-1963 according to our numbers. We compared ammunition costs, firearms, components, reloading equipment, gunbroker prices etc etc etc. Almost anything in the catalogs at that time could be multiplied by 10 to get an idea of what it would cost today. For instance: if we saw a Springfield 03A3 for $73.00 we would easily conclude that the same rifle today should cost $730.00.
      Anyway, it was fun, but then I aimed it at 22LR. In 1997, I was paying $18.97 for 550 rounds of Remington Gold Bullets. I crunched the numbers and decided the stuff isn’t as expensive as I thought it was (good Lord, that’s 20 years ago now!!!!!). The squeeze is coming from my not having as much disposable income.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n13298 wrote: Inflation marches on fellers.
      The squeeze is coming from my not having as much disposable income.

You and me both my friend.
      Had to buy a new dryer,and my daughters car broke down.

Once I get through paying for those there will be nothing left for gun hobbies.

I am luck I have enough to shoot for a good while.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

“I don’t expect “everyone” to quit buying. That’s why I started off with “If”…………I was just ranting or lamenting………..there is indeed “way too much demand”………

Larry Gibson

Ranting is allowed, heck even encouaged actually. Did not mean to rain on your parade.

What I really frown on is what seems to be an incredibly intelligent gifted man not wanting to see the world as it is.

And your in good company. The “would you all just quit buying all the dang .22lr ammo” faction is large and strong.

I also wanted to add that I cleaned, oiled and hung up my Ruger 10/22 rifle 3 years ago. It sits in the safe.
      I have half a dozen other rifles, other centerfire calibers that I can cast for and load for the same or less than .22lr.
      So I shoot them.

I used to buy at least one brick every payday, by the next payday I’d be out or near out.
      I have not gone through them like that since the 70’s.

Izzyjoe
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

around about 1998, and friend and me was buying a brick every payday just to stick back. We both quit at 2000 rds, and I think I still have 1000 left. We were Gona start shooting 22’s a lot but never got around to it. I started buying quality 22 shells, like mini mag, and green tags around 2004, cause my semi autos wouldn’t feed that cheap stuff very well. So by the time all that panic buying started I just stopped shooting my 22’s, and starting loading up some very light loads for my 30-30, since I had enough powder, primers, and cast some .311 RB’s, I endured the hard times playing with that. I still think that when supplies catch up prices will level off, I hope! Like a friend of mine told me, if you what told something you’ll find a way to do it!

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

$18.97 for 550 rounds of Remington Gold Bullets IIRC was ~$20 when I got my 22, but it is junk stuff anyway.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For several years after I got out of the navy in Sept 1978 I would buy Federal High Power solids for $9.99/carton (500) at the Gibson’s Discount in Dodge City. A lot of prairie dogs went to the big green pasture in the sky. We could just circle around the town in the pickup, shooting off the mirrors, all afternoon, until that brick was gone. Miss those days.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Went by local Wal Mart yesterday and they had CCI Stingers.
      I will let someone else have those.;)

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

They are deadly on prairie dogs. The best of the ..22 LR ammo I ever found.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

CCI Standard Velocity Rimfire Ammunition .22 LR 40 gr LRN 1070 fps 5000/ct for $449.99 at Natchez.

This is about the cheapest I’ve seen in a long time.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just got an e advertisement from Palmetto State Armory.
      Federal 22 Long Rifle 40gr Solid Champion AutoMatch Ammunition 325rds for $ 19.99
      That’s $3.07/box of 50, or $30.75/carton of 500.
      It looks like the drought may be breaking.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Gold

Let’s hope so. Hope the powder prices go back down to something more reasonable.

Larry Gibson

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I got an e advertisement from some business, maybe Natchez, that Green Dot is $15 lb.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I started the job I have now 9/5/95 , full rate was $9.82 today it is $19.68 and a Journeyman adjustment that makes it $21.86 .
      Good money . Trouble is that last spring it was .0036 times more money relative to what it buys vs what it bought .
      Sure it’s painful to pay $40+ /500 22LR but I don’t think that will change . Nor will 45 Colts return to $18/50 vs 36 or $12 for 38,9mm or 06′ . With the increased cost per value the $9/100 38 and 9mm are only $11.20/100 vs $32-38 for factory , even Colts at $12.10 vs $109 makes this all worth while . Shoot some 45-70 and 264WM at $30-50/20 and $25/100 looks really good.

In reality RF is still among the cheapest to start kids on it is certainly the easiest to shoot well and if we were really deeply ruined by it the 25 auto would be coming on strong in in something like Cricket rifles and Heritage singles and Ruger would be building a 10/25 .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Back when I was paying $10/500 I was making about $4/hr. Proportionately, I am way better off now, although the numbers are not a straight equation since taxes are progressive. Auto insurance and health insurance, food, rent, etc. are all more too. I’m not sure I’m all that much better off now.

I do appreciate the .22 LR when it comes to teaching youngsters/newbies to shoot. I still enjoy rolling tin cans with them. It is the only way I can keep my grandson busy at the range without going broke.

When it comes to convenience, you can’t beat the .22 LR. A pocketful will last several hours of wandering around the pasture and crick. And, I don’t have to chase brass!

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.