Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

2017 Resolution Need some Advice on building a rifle

I am Very tired of getting beat up with a light-hunting rifle, I do not own a heavy barrel target rifle so this will be it
      So Decided to do a build 95 % of shooting will be from a bench or mat, Cal will be 308
      Barrel will be a aftermarket / heavy/ varmint /bull, so it will shoot 150-170g jacketed–Cast 150-200 will have to buy 30xcb Mould

Would like to be able to pass rules for F Class but not interested in a 32-inch barrel

You will say get Tim to build One, I would like to but, I am in Canada and getting one across the border is a no go

edited new info
      will be a Savage in 308 match Long action so will not have to worry about mag length
      need a extra .030 in OAL no problem
      long action should have more bedding area / longer

Sorry for the long posts and Thanks for the help

Thanks
      Wayne

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

JHSFun

I am Very tired of getting beat up with a light-hunting rifle, I do not own a heavy barrel target rifle so this will be it
      So Decided to do a build 95 % of shooting will be from a bench or mat, Cal will be 308/ 30xcb

Being in Canada not sure you can get the 30 XCB reamer up there (Tim?) thus the .308W would be the next best choice. However, given the long action of the M1640 it may be well worth the expense of obtaining a 30 XCB reamer. If you go .308W then a bench rest match reamer with a tight neck would be best.

Barrel will be a aftermarket / heavy/ varmint /bull, If in 30 cal thinking about a 14 twist so it will shoot 150-170g jacketed–Cast 150-200 will have to buy 30xcb Mould

The 14′ twist is an excellent choice for either cartridge for the bullet weights, cast or jacketed mentioned. The 30 XCB bullet is my “go to” mould for either cartridge along with the 30×60 and ’06.

Action that I can find that are affordable will be HVA or Husqvarna Model 1640 (Long Action) Action screws are 7-7/8 apart
      I can also get HVA 96 action but told the above action is stronger

Looking for a stock I Can use for a varmint / target gun build, I am not sure if I need a large ring or a Small ring Mauser Stock
      Action is a Small ring
      Action bolts are dimensioned for a large ring
      Sent a email to boyds they were no help HVA actions have limited selection on there web site

Do I get the large ring and bed it heavy?

That may be the best option.

Would like to be able to pass rules for F Class but not interested in a 32-inch barrel

I suggest you get a light target contour or heavy Palma contour 30 -32″ long. The reason is you want the longest possible barrel and still make the 14 lb (ready to shoot) weight. With the longer barrel you can complete the rifle, mount the scope, get it ready to shoot and weigh it (including the bolt). Then the barrel can be cut back to just be a tudge under 14 lbs. However, check with the club/group you will be shooting with. The group I shoot with are all that finicky, they just look at your rifle and then decide on class based on the other rules. I recommend either a Broughton barrel or a Kreiger.

You will say get Tim to build One, I would like to but
      I am in Canada and getting one across the border is a no go

Can you get plain barrels across the border?

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

ITAR regulates a lot more than the BATFE does. I do not think it is legal for me to export a completed barrel with my current licencing.
      Larry is right as rain on his advice.
      It’s not an XCB if wasn’t built in my shop, and there’s a lot more that goes into a true XCB rifle than running a reamer in a premium barrel. Every single XCB rifle to date has not left the shop till it will shoot less than 3/4″ 10 shot group with jacketed bullets. A lot of things have to be right in order for that to happen, and an original XCB is an entire rifle build. It’s a system. A way of building I developed.

The 308 is also an excellent choice and one very much more available to you, and if you stick with the 14 twist barrel, you wont have the XCB edge, but you’re still going to be blowing peoples mind with cast bullets.

The long barrel is a choice, but it does give you an edge with cast bullets. If you are looking to compete, I think you would be wise to take advantage of that well established edge. That said, if you plan on walking the woods with the same rifle, you could cut it down till it feels right. Warning though: you might not be too happy with what it does to your performance at long range and HV.
      Just my 2 cents worth.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thanks for the advice Larry and Tim

I have 3 other 308 rifles if I want to hunt with them and a 30-30 94 and 2 other leaver guns
      M1 Garand almost finished Prep stage before parkarizing

Madison Reamers are my choice– I orderd a 30-06 pull through and Had it in less than a week
      order in Monday and it was in my hands Friday excellent service (it was in stock)

Even a plain barrel has to go through a importer/dealer

What would the best twist be for a 35 whelen cast and Jacketed for light and heavy loads

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

JHSFun;n12895 wrote:
      What would the best twist be for a 35 whelen cast and Jacketed for light and heavy loads

My opinion is 1-14. You can push to 2600FPS with cast if you use the right bullet (look at my 35XCB from NOE) but you still have the RPM to stabilize the heaviest jacketed bullets.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Why not buy a Remington 700 BDL Varmint special in 308 Win?
      You should be able to find one of these in Canada?????
      Mike

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx…m*+varmint+308

I have been loading 308 with 311466 bullets of wheelweights Hornady Gas Check, Javalina lube, 4227 powder and CCI LR primer.

I was getting so so accuracy, insuring the powder was positioned at the base next to the primer hole.

Just so so accuracy, so I thought I would shoot them up quickly. Took them out of the 20 cartridge box , bullet facing DOWN, seated them in the gun (Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special) and low and behold, less than one inch five shot groups at 100 yards

Been doing this for 5 years now and still works, do not ask me how, but it works.
      The powder is positioned behind the bullet.

Mike

Mike F H
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 21

I think you are going to be disappointed,you are going to end up with a rifle not ideal for hunting or Fclass,very good for shooting cast at the range but for Fclass,I would go 30″ or 32″ barrel and a faster twist.It all depends on how serious you intend to pursue Fclass,I hope I am not knocking your dream,my 30 calibre cast range and occasional hunting rifle has not been started yet,because I cannot make a decision.
      Mike.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

skeettx;n12910 wrote: Why not buy a Remington 700 BDL Varmint special in 308 Win?
      You should be able to find one of these in Canada?????
      Mike

ok if I bought a rem it would have a 10 twist so would need a new barrel so $$ and a heaver barrel = new stock more $$
      I can pick up a used HVA 30-06 11 twist for $450 + Shoot Cast bullets faster than the rem with equal or better group size
      I all ready have a Sako in 308 with a 11 twist that will shoot cast 5 rounds sub 1 inch at 100yds
      the only problem is the sako and the HVA weight less than 8 or so pounds with a scope
      so if I want to go shooting and shoot 100-200 rounds in a day my shoulder will be like a soggy noodle
      I think cast in a rifle will extend the life of the barrel

I Even looked at a Savage same thing new barrel and new stock
      My buddy has 4 savages and all of them have aftermarket stocks (he shoots jacketed only)

High velocity and cast = slow twist
      heavy barrel = keeps the heat down and the groups smaller also less recoil

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I may be stating the obvious here, and if so, please ignore. I just wonder if you’re actually thinking of going toe to toe with F class shooters using jacketed bullets and thinking you’re going to be able to stack em at 900 yards?
      If so, I think you should do some trajectory calculations. I also think you should get ready to shoot A LOT of absolutely premium cast bullets.
      I have built several F class rifles, and I have been in the thick of the cast bullet culture for years now. CBA shooting is one thing, throwing copper lances into the bullseye at 1000 yards is another. If you take cast bullets into that environment, armed only with only 5 shot groups at 100 yards and a rebarreled Mauser, I think most people will be lucky to hit the target at 1000 yards. Don’t think that just because we demonstrated precision groups and speed at 100-200 yards (and 300 for Larry) with the same weight bullets, that it makes mid-long range shooting a shoe in. It does not!
      I can’t see even the 30XCB making it to 700 yards without going transonic. To say nothing of other factors that will deteriorate your precision much sooner than that.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Tim Your advice is wanted and I will read and consider anything you write

At this point in my Life 53 Married with kids (9-12) working every weekend to make $$
      Shooting in a match is not high on my list of things to do
      When I shot in the Past (ipsc) I was not expecting to see my name near the top I was happy to see it in the top 1/3
      When I Shoot I want to have fun
      Most of the time I Shoot there is less than 5 people on the range
      However, in say 5 years if I can use this rifle to improve my skills to enter a match –
      -Not going to improve my skills with an 8-LB rifle
      My Club has a 300 yd Range
      Closest Long Range to me is 2-1/2h drive only invite/match

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

I have looked at rifles in 223 (for my 300 yd range)
      most of the rifles I have looked at are Lots of $$ (Canada prices)
      if I reload for long range match 223 my cost is more than .70 cents each plus my time– even Factory loads are getting up in price all 50-55g sp or fmj
      so I might as well shoot cast 308 @ 100/200/300 yds and have the ability to switch to Jacketed match ammo when the time is right

Sorry for the rant — Winter is here and don’t have snow shoes to treck to the 300 yd line

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You’re golden then. Excellent use of a HV cast rifle. I suspected that was the case, but felt I should say something just to be on the safe side.

Mike F H
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 21

Now I get the idea,when I hear FClass,I think 800,900 and 1000 yards and around 200 grain projectiles,that is why I suggested a faster twist barrel. Using cast lead loads to 300 yards is a good idea,From what I see you have,you should handle 300 yards quite well with that,but as you would like more weight and velocity,I would get a heavy Palmer profile barrel in the 1-14 twist.As far as stocks go,usually in target rifle circles,there are used wooden stocks around if you search them out.t
      I know how you feel about ammunition costs,the last 215 Berger projectiles cost over $90 Australian per 100.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Changed direction info not important to the Savage action I just bought

Thanks For the help Larry & Tim and the others who have helped

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Remington 700 SPS Varmints have 26″ barrels and are 1 in 12 twist
      http://www.gunbroker.com/item/611218275

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

I have Changed Direction Again

I have bought a used Savage long Action (For the receiver / trigger) Other parts attached that i will try to sell off
      Going to order a Boyds pro-varmint stock

I found a good indepentent Barrel maker in Canada and will be ordering a barrel from him in the next several days
      6 week lead time 30 inch 13 twist

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

I question
      If you have 2- 308 rifles #1a 20 inch barrel shooting a cast bullet at 2000fps and then take that same round and fire it in #2 rifle a 30 in barrel what will the muzzle velocity be

is the formula 1inch =app 25 fps

So the 30 inch will be shooting at 2500 fps ???? +-

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

2250 at best , 25×10=250 .

Life experience tends to suggest that a specific powder will run out of push on the accelerating bullet somewhere between 22-26″ resulting in the bullet possibly being slower at 30″ than at 20″ . Cartridge capacity and caliber are also major factors .

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thanks Harter
      2250 fps+- Did not check the math 🙁

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It was that metres/foot , imperial gallon thing that threw off your groove . 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Small up date I just ordered a NOE Mould 30xcb –Now More stuff to cast and more stuff to load :):):):)

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.