This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2449
    • Overall: 2656

Larry, as you know, Bjorn and I have matching 24″ octagon Rossi 92’s in 45 Colt. Bjorn intends to use his for hunting, but mine was always intended to be a Silhouette rifle. The reason I wanted this specific rifle is because I already had the pleasure of shooting an identical rifle in a silhouette competition but chambered in 357 Magnum. What I saw that day was that the targets were mine for the taking out to 75 yards, but the 100 yard rams were nearly impossible to hit consistently because the cone of fire was literally bigger than the ram was. At the time, I chocked this up to store bought cast bullets, but since then, I realize that the 357 has a 1-30 twist, as does the 45 Colt, and the 44 magnum. Of these three cartridges, I surmised that the Colt was the only one that might be useful out past 100 yards.

Unfortunately, my rifle suffers from a copious chamber that the cartridges just rattle into and come out of, looking like they are pregnant. This is the most glaring issue that might explain the 8″ groups at 100 yards from my own, personally cast bullets.

I am perfectly willing to buy jacketed for this rifle, but information on that is scarce to say the least, and when I find someone actually talking about precision it always ends up being a useless conversation about how awesome their rifle is at 25-50 yards or how it’s accurate enough to kill anything in the world etc etc etc. (I mean seriously. I shoot a freakin Red Ryder bbgun that far.)

So I’m trolling along through the web looking for something that sorta kinda resembles real information, and I run across this:

Denver

I’ve a Rossi M92 rifle and a Uberti M73 in .45 Colt. I tried Unique and slower burning powders intially with unsatisfying results also. However, when I switched to a faster powder (as a couple have done above) The results were very gratifying. I’ve used Bullseye, VV320, VV320C (Tin Star), Tite group and WST with very good results primarily under the Lee 452-200-RF, LaserCast 200 RFs and Desproado’s 200 gr RFs and the heavier 250 gr 452190s 45-255-KTs.

I didn’t get top end accuracy until I switched to the GC’d 452490 cast of COWWs + 2% tin and AC’d. I’ve got very good accuracy with that bullet over Unique, 2400 and 4227.

Larry Gibson

Interesting. Interesting. No mention of range, but knowing you, I’m willing to bet you have an opinion on how to make this rifle shoot.

Obviously, I prefer cast, but I’m not going to sacrifice points by refusing to shoot jacketed as that is totally legal.

So let me ask, for the record, what bullets (cast or jacketed) do you think are worth a look, what powders, and how would you load for this rifle if you were going for 200 yards on full scale silhouettes?

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 665
    • Overall: 805

Uberti has considerably faster twist rates:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bore-groove-twist

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 532
    • Gold

I can log on and post now (?) so asking if you still want an answer?

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel 
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2449
      • Overall: 2656

Of course!!! Always interested in any information you care to post.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 483
    • Overall: 532
    • Gold

Tim

“….what bullets (cast or jacketed) do you think are worth a look, what powders, and how would you load for this rifle if you were going for 200 yards on full scale silhouettes?”

What I had in mind for a long range bullet (target and hunting) for use in my 45 Colt Rossi M92 was the Accurate 45-250G.  That is a RN bullet with a flat meplat taking a GC similar to the Lyman 454190.  It should drop at .454 with COWW or slightly more with 2% tin added or with your “house” alloy.  I’d let them AC and age for 2+ weeks and then size at .454, lube with BAC and use a Hornady GC.  I would first try them over 4227 and then RL7.

Also I quit using a tugston carbide sizer on my 45 Colt cases because the 45 Colt is not really a “straight” case…..it is tapered.  Since I like to inspect my cases before reloading anyway I clean them, lube them and then FL size with a RCBS standard steel die which maintains the taper crimp.  I them clean the lube off (15 – 25 minutes in sawdust in a Thumbler) and either finish loading for utmost accuracy or top end loads on a single stage press with the RCBS dies.  My generic fun loads I finish loading on a Dillon SDB sans the sizer.

That Accurate bullet cast and loaded as mentioned should stabilize as nicely as the 454190 does in the slow twist of the Rossi M92.

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us