This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
     az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 45

So there are 2 other threads on this forum Im going to try to participate in with one go around. One is the HV with PC and the other is the accuracy of PC thread.
    I mentioned in the HV thread that I had fireformed some brass for my 6mm Dasher with conventionally lubed cast. I finally got to load the PC rounds and will test this weekend. The Dasher is my benchrest gun, I have shot a 5 shot group with jacketed @ 100 yards that measures less than 1/2 moa, all five touching and 4 of the 5 measure less than a bullet diameter. So its time to see its potential with cast.
    The load is:
    16.5 – 20.5g of H335, 5 rounds each, 1.0g increments
    95g RCBS .243/6mm with GC
    CCI 450 primers
    All seated to the lands

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Anxiously awaiting results – may the force be with you.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

He’s using parts made in Arkansas. He can’t lose.
    LOL!
    Who made the barrel? I’m going to guess Brux?
    Trigger?
    Schope?

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Tim,
    It’s a Shillen Match Select barrel, 1-8 twist. Which will probably hinder me getting above 25-2600 fps with good results but we will see.
    Rifle Basix trigger @ 2 lbs
    Burris 6.5 – 20 x 50 mildot scope
    Blueprinted 700 action

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

Keep us posted on results please.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Really solid choices all the way around.
    Good luck, shoot well, be honest with yourself about the results, have fun.

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I went out this morning to test the Dasher with cast loads. It was 65 degrees when we got to our shooting hole and quickly went into the high 80’s. The target was 125 yards, no wind. The chronograph was 10-12 feet from the muzzle. I did not weight sort any of the bullets. The chrono numbers are unimpressive to me and I always seem to get a flier in each group, probably due to not weight sorting. Of the 5 groups I shot I have an average extreeme spread of 62 ish feet per second. I also did not shoot the 10 shot groups like Tim suggested. In the photo you can see 17.5 is probably the best at an average speed of 1943 fps. The white inner circle is 3″ for reference. The 16.5 group is not bad but I did tweak the scope, it was shooting low, my initial guess on elevation adjustment from 500 yards was a bit much. But that group only ran an average of 1824 fps. The other groups open up as the powder charge goes higher, so this could be due to the 1-8 twist rate or bieng out of the “node”. The 20.5g group averaged 2229 fps. I was hoping for more speed but there is no data for cast in a Dasher, right now I am using 6mm PPC data. I had zero leading in the barrel so I can go faster but will have to work up to it. This will tell if I can find another node or if the twist rate is too fast.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

pretty good for such a long boolit. Your alloy is?

Wheel Gun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 43

interesting read, I think it’s pretty darn good

badbob454 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 46
    • Overall: 59

did i read that correct 500 yards ?
    an exellent group…….

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze

badbob454;n5399 wrote: did i read that correct 500 yards ?
    an exellent group…….

I wish, lol
    No my previous outing was 500 yards with jacketed loads, so I was adjusting back down to 100-125 for the csat test.

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze

popper;n4642 wrote: pretty good for such a long boolit. Your alloy is?

Alloy is COWW, water quenched after PC

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

How come I can’t see a picture of your group?

az-jim 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Because I deleted it from photo-suck-it…….I mean photobucket accidentally. Should be good now

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Yes, it’s back – it looks like a vertical stringing going on – did you see any pattern to that? Walking ’em up or Walking ’em down, etc

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Interesting target. If it were me, I would try several powders that were just a touch slow on the burn rate chart, and find one that lets me cover ten shots with a silver dollar. Once accuracy is established and you are certain you have a bullet design that is worthy in your rifle, then you can start upping your charges.
    In my opinion, the bullet is the very most important thing to achieving accuracy right after barrel quality.
    Fact is crummy bullet = crummy groups at any speed.
    On the other hand, if you have two bullets that are solid performers right at, or just below the RPMTH, then it’s a pretty safe bet you can get one of them to work at HV and the results will be very clear. Find the right bullet and you have a vehicle to go places with.
    Keep it up, you’re doing fine!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.