Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I like em’, I love em’, and I want some more of them!!

My first experience with thin grips on a 1911 were with my Colt Wiley Clapp Commander I’ve had since last February. I enjoyed them so much, I have since replace the grips on all of my 1911 pistols with thin grips.

I get a better grip with them for both target shooting and drawing. My brother says it’s because I have woman hands, but I disregard most of what he says out of pure principle, lol.

Anywho, give them a try if you get a chance an you just may like them as well!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I do, (or did as the case may be). Really changes the feel of the gun in a positive way.

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 28

The best decisions I ever made for my 1911 were getting a set of thin vz grips and bushings, and fitting a short trigger. It totally changed the pistol for me.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

I use a medium trigger when the gun has a flat MSH, and a short trigger with an arched MSH.

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

haha, Home made thicker grips, long trigger, arched MSH here. (6′ 8″). Got first 1911, couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about – jumped around a lot. Did the above mods – favorite platform ever !

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

As in any handgun .. just like cast bullets fit is King..

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

While not a 1911 I have a set of thin grips on a Franken CZ. Thought I wouldn’t like them and had planned to buy a regular set. Glad I didn’t waste my money. Not sure why I thought I wouldn’t like them. I have smaller hands, size 9, so I should run them on any pistol that I own.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

How are you liking the franken CZ? I gave my Franken CZ to my mom for the range and CCW. I sure do miss that gun!! My gun got your frame and your gun got my slide, lol. Mine is the PCR slide on the RAMI frame.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Dang, I just had to order a new set of grips for one of my Colts. After 6,000 rds, the grip cracked at the bottom grip screw.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

If you like fancy wood , Ahrends makes thin 1911’s , listed as 1911 Thin Grips, they can be had smooth or with vertical serrations (very interesting treatment) , with custom grip screws and bushings (due to thin profile) and in the exotic wood of your choice for $50.00.
      My pick was smooth rosewood…drop dead gorgeous grips.
      Gary

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

The grips I ordered are VZ grips. My first pair as I usually have wood on my 1911 pistols. I went with VZ because they looked similar to the factory grips put on the Wiley Clapp Commander by Colt. Some laminate stuff.

I got the Elite Tactical, dirty olive color, full size, slim line, beveled, thumb notch version. They showed up today and I must say that I am very impressed with the quality. The fit is very good, and the grip texture is very good. All in all I am very satisfied and feel like a straight up operator now, lol. If anybody is looking for some laminate grips then give VZ a look.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze

Dick;n4724 wrote: How are you liking the franken CZ? I gave my Franken CZ to my mom for the range and CCW. I sure do miss that gun!! My gun got your frame and your gun got my slide, lol. Mine is the PCR slide on the RAMI frame.

I love it. I need to shoot it more but I can say that for every one I own. Issue has been a holster. Not everyone makes one for the PCR. I wanted an Alien Gear so I could swap it out w/ the PPS I currently carry. I will eventually get around to buying a Supertuck for it. I’ve been shooting my G20 a lot lately. Coming from that that reset on the CZ isn’t as pronounced. The reset is sort of long as well. It’s probably because I’ve trained so much w/ the PPS that the reset feels like it’s in the wrong position. I need to get out and shoot it more but I need to build a brass catcher first. I’m really tired of chasing brass.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

dragon813gt;n5008 wrote:
      I need to get out and shoot it more but I need to build a brass catcher first. I’m really tired of chasing brass.

Are you getting old? Soon you’ll be talking about them whippersnappers at the range shooting their black rifles, lol.

Good to hear about the CZ. I just called Mernickle and talked it over with them to get decent holster for mine. It also rides very well in a Desantis nemesis made for a J-frame.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze

I will be in my late thirties come May so yes, I am getting old. I won’t complain about ARs. Had a guy leave because I was shooting three of them at the 25 yard range. All three were just built so I was function testing them. Probably a good thing he left because I had to mortar all three of them.

Apparently gun owners by me don’t have a sense of humor. I built one of the ARs for my stepdaughter. So of course it has pink furniture and accents. No one found the stories about my “transition” to be funny. You’d think they would have realized I was joking because I couldn’t keep a straight face while telling them the tall tale. Oh well, all three are running like tops now and I’m no longer allowed to touch the pink one because it’s hers……until it’s time to clean it and then I’m allowed.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Don’t let the fudds get you down. The range I go to here always gives me a laugh. One of the RSO’s is old as dirt, but a true blue national champion pistol shooter. He usually has me laughing pretty hard as he is trying to teach new shooters proper technique before he comes over and crushes my hopes of beating him just once at our impromptu Sunday shoot offs. We also have a couple regular mall ninjas that are 3 and 7 yard champions. They crack me up drawing and getting off the X, but good on them…I think. One time they drove up, got out of their car, and started doing reps of jumping jacks, crunches, and push ups with all their Uncle Mike’s tactical gear on.

The rifle side is always a hoot with the 50 yd benches crowded with a line waiting their turn, but the 100 range has openings and the 200 yd range is seldom used. I avoid the place like it has AIDS during the lead up to hunting season. Holy safety violations, Batman!! Plus I watched a guy shoot a whole mess of rds without adjusting his scope once. He just kept loading and firing until he hit his jean-u-wine paper plate at 100 yds and said “Bout time I got this rifle zeroed!! ” Ramadi 2006 was safer than rifle season here in Georgia.

Next time wear some Oakley assault gloves and some beats audio headphones when testing your AR’s.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze

Yeah, I wasn’t wearing proper Operator clothing. Those guys always crack me up. I know what the probelms were w/ the ARs. Not one person asked the correct question. My favorite was the asked what the bolt was made of. When I told him chrome he said I should only use Nickleboron because it’s the greatest thing ever. Two of them actually are but I wasn’t shooting that one at the time. Regardless gas tubes that were slightly off and not enough lube was my problem. I always forget to run them wet. I’m thinking I should use some of my AMEX points on 5-11 gear so I can go full on tactical operator. I even have a proper Glock for a thigh rig.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Get with the times you old fogey. You also need elbow and knee pads as well. Make sure you look left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, and right after each double tap (operators don’t fire single shots. That’s for sissies.) to make sure no other bad guys are about to get you. Then do a forward shoulder roll just in case. Make sure you have a stupid “Infidel” hat on because all operators wear those.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze

Tactical roll you say?????

https://youtu.be/n1kv02dkWvE

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.