Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Years ago before manufacturers offered turned bushing in oversized to allow fitting.

Bushing expander mandrel was the rage and the actual only way that it could be achieved as the only bushings available was basically USGI mil spec.

For nostalgia sake I was looking for such tools a while back on the cheap because no one really does it this way except for those whom want to retain their bushing for whatever reason. Seems PTG still makes a set while Brownell’s have dropped their offering, I have not seen anyone else thus far offering the old style expander set.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/1911-…-for-1911.html

https://youtu.be/3W0d9lh74kU

Once the bushing has been expanded in its collar it might need to be turned for that precise snug fit

I have seen the mandrels offered by Brownells and PTG

Just wanted to share information and sources

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Old school “do it with what you have” method. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much you could do to tighten the barrel to the bushing which is the other side of the same coin. Sure there were some tweaks here and there, but nothing beats having everything precision machined and lapped into perfect fit with a match grade barrel.

I cut my teeth on George C Nonte Jr.s “Pistolsmithing” book and it has most of the trade slights for vintage firearms described in detail.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

well the Old school method was to go through the parts bin until you match the barrel OD to the bushing ID or chose a undersized bushing then ream to the barrel OD, then expanded the skirt to the slide Worked great provided you had a bin of bushings to chose from, which those armours did. All work was with hand tools.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.