Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Over the years I have built a number of 1911 pistols, almost all form Colt’s that had the frame destroyed by a law enforcement agency. Caspian frame, some minor fitting, and you had a nice enough 1911. My son wanted to build a 1911 so I bought him a Caspian frame and slide and a bunch of Wilson Combat parts. First, I was shocked at how much fitting work was required with all custom parts. When you start with almost all factory parts and simply add a frame, there are some fitting issues, but nothing like what I did this weekend. Using a Brownell’s frame file, valve grinding compound, and 600 grit compound, it took a solid 8 hours to fit the frame to the slide. I measured some dimensions that were .010 apart, meaning to get them to fit more than .010 had to come off. The final fit was good, but I am exhausted.

We then moved on to the Wilson Combat barrel bushing. I found that 3/8 inch ID fuel line fit snugly inside the bushing. I was then able to thread a 3/8 bolt into the fuel line. Into the drill press it went and a bit of file use and emory cloth and the bushing was in the frame in no time with a friction fit. My question is, how do you cut around the part of the bushing where the locking tab is? Obviously a spinning bushing with a file will not work as the file will hit the locking tab. How do you guys work around that problem?

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615
      seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Yep, that’s what I did with a rotary file. Was thinking there had to be a better way.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.