Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I just got my 1895 Browning back from JES. It went from 30-40 to 405 Winchester. The problem is, the magazine does not feed reliably. I paid for boring and modifications to magazine for the 405. The 405 rounds are getting stuck in the magazine and will not feed. I am using new Hornady brass with Barnes TSX 300 grain bullets seated to 3.200 inches. This is the second problem I have had from a JES rebore. The first was a 38-55 rebored from a 94 30-30. It had a magazine follower that was hammered so hard into position I had to use a brass punch and hammer to get it to move. Any suggestions on the 405 loading/feeding problems?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Can you describe the feeding issues with more detail? Sometimes it’s a subtle thing that reliable feeding hinges on.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

The nose of the cartridge tends to dive. If I hold the rifle upside down, the nose of the cartridge will swing down and I can grab it and remove it. Sometimes if I rack the lever hard the round that is down in the magazine will finally come to the top and can be loaded. Cartridges all chamber fine.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

If I just load 2 rounds into the magazine, no problem. The problem always starts with the 3rd round. Third bullet is pushed down and gets stuck. The round on top of magazine is free to rotate, so its not bound, but there is no upward push to get the top round into proper position so the bolt can snag it. Works fine with two rounds.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

My guess is that the magazine follower is specific to the cartridge, and when you went to the 405, the noses of the cartridges are piling up and getting in a bind. I have experienced this with several rifles where I went to a less tapered cartridge than it was intended for.
      Ideally, you want the bulk of the pressure to be on the rims of the cartridges so that the rim is always up where the bolt can catch it. The noses just hang like weathervane and when the bolt pushes the rim, the nose follows the path of least resistance.
      In your case (pun intended) the noses of the cartridges are gaining more control of the column with every cartridge added, pointing hard to a magazine follower problem (being a single stack situation.
      to correct this, the best thing to do is see if you can buy those parts for your rifle, and if you can’t, then study the design carefully till you are familiar with it, then modify the follower/follower spring to make it feed.
      That’s the best I can do based on what you describe.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Goodsteel;n15848 wrote: My guess is that the magazine follower is specific to the cartridge, and when you went to the 405, the noses of the cartridges are piling up and getting in a bind. I have experienced this with several rifles where I went to a less tapered cartridge than it was intended for.
      Ideally, you want the bulk of the pressure to be on the rims of the cartridges so that the rim is always up where the bolt can catch it. The noses just hang like weathervane and when the bolt pushes the rim, the nose follows the path of least resistance.
      In your case (pun intended) the noses of the cartridges are gaining more control of the column with every cartridge added, pointing hard to a magazine follower problem (being a single stack situation.
      to correct this, the best thing to do is see if you can buy those parts for your rifle, and if you can’t, then study the design carefully till you are familiar with it, then modify the follower/follower spring to make it feed.
      That’s the best I can do based on what you describe.

I agree. Magazine followers are about the fussiest part on a rifle.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

OK, I have solved this problem, sort of. The max overall length of the 30-40 is 3.089 inches. Using Hodgons online data I seated the 405 rounds to 3.20 inches. The problem is, since this is a rimmed cartridge, the rim on top is in front of the rim of the bottom cartridge, which is necessary for proper feeding, of course. After the third round is loaded the cartridges are taking up all the space in the magazine and the nose of the bullet is touching the front of the magazine causing feeding errors. If I am very careful loading the cartridges I can get 4 in the magazine and get them to feed reliably. If one gets stuck I have to put a thin pocket knife in front of the bullet and push the entire cartridge towards the rear some. I could of course seat the bullets deeper, but I used the max load and I don’t wont to boost pressure by seating them to 3.1 inches or maybe 3.15 inches, which would surely solve the problem. I could pull the bullets and reduce the load by a grain I suppose, or I could just shoot it like and is and learn next time. Its not like I am hunting dangerous game.

looking in my manual I notice the listed max oal for the 405 is 3.175 inches. I used H4895, 53.5 grains, which is compressed and a max load. If I seat these on down to 3.175, am I risking a pressure issue?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

seaboltm;n15858 wrote:
      looking in my manual I notice the listed max oal for the 405 is 3.175 inches. I used H4895, 53.5 grains, which is compressed and a max load. If I seat these on down to 3.175, am I risking a pressure issue?

I seriously doubt it, especially with cast bullet loads. look how little you’re actually changing the internal case capacity. This isn’t a pistol cartridge after all!
      If it were me, I’d seat 5 to 3.175 then shoot them and carefully examine after every shot. I think you’re going to find almost zero difference. In fact, I’d say that if you do see a noticeable difference, then you were too darn close to the edge in the first place. I just can’t see .025 amounting to a hill of beans in pressure difference.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.