This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Butch Wax 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

Ok. I’ve hated the M16 since Vietnam. Didn’t carry one either. Flash to today, and like a good grandpa, I got an Anderson Manufacturing AM15 Optics Ready model to use when my granddaughter shoots her Windham Carbon fiber model out at the ranch. Mine is well made and such with a 1:8 bore. It sucks with 55gr rounds. I mean won’t hit true at 50 yds is how it sucks! 5″ pattern or more off a rest at 100yds, scattered across the place. Get the idea? Sucks!

So, 62gr? 70gr? Throw me a bone here.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

That is not right. 1-8 should easily stabilize cup and core 55 grain bullets. If it shoots that badly, then you got a bad barrel, and I’d call the manufacturer and gently remind them that in today’s market, that kind of shoddy precision doesn’t do a thing for their reputation.

If they give you any grief at all, take it as an opportunity to drop in a quality barrel. Good barrels shoot tight. Bad barrels spray patterns, so unless you want to burn $200 on components and bullets and switch to three shot groups, I think you need to get yourself a new pipe.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Could be the flavor of ammo. My rifles do not like Fiocchi 55 gr FMJ. And, I bought a case of it several years ago. They do like Federal 55 gr FMJ. Even the bucket of unknown reloads shoot better than the Fiocchi. More testing to follow. My prairie dog rifle (AR variety) likes the Wolff 62 gr JHP steel case ammo.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Now I don’t know if I should drop and do 20, go wrap the weapon around a tree, or ask my dog for a date!(old school Ranger humor).

55gr PMC Bronze factory load sucked. 55gr Federal stunk too.

New dies will be here Fri. Used to load this cartridge long ago when I had a great Armalite AR180 back in the 80’s. Magnificent weapon. Was a 1:12 bore too. 55gr and 52grHP were great. Second ex-wife’s mutant son stole much of my loading gear. So, I will wait until I can load some.

Got some Hornady 60gr VMax bullets to try. And some 62gr loaded rounds to try in the morning. My intention is to have a good coyote, hog, and “puke” gun. (puke is policeeze for intruder/badguy). Oh well… Well see in the morning.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Just came back in from my range. Shot several 55gr FMJ factory loads st 50yds. 4.5″ and scattered. Loaded up a mag with 62gr FMJ factory loads by PPU and tried again. Confidence in the load allowed for sight correction. Rounds #4,5&6 were fired when final zero (#4) hit true. #5 & #6 were fighting for the same hole.

In my old police days, we called that conclusive evidence and proof. So, testing on my end with this stubby shooter is that 1:8 barrels suck with 55gr but shine with 62gr bullet.

My new dies are out for delivery as we speak and I should have some Hornady 60gr VMax bullets loaded before sundown. Gonna be interesting though.

Targets 5.56mm compared

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 115
    • Overall: 135

Agreed….1:8 barrels suck with 55gr!

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yes sir, I agree 100%.

Loaded some 60gr V-MAX by Hornady with some RL15 and some with IMR3031. Both loads were just “put together” for a quick test, but the 60gr bullet was tight. Especially with the 3031 load.

My granddaughter’s Windham carbon fiber AR15 has a 1:9 barrel. It’s pitiful with 55gr bullets as well. The 62grFMJ PPU factory and the 3031 load with the 60gr V-MAX was centered and tight. With 55gr FMJ’s her rifle was scattering them at a 5″ spread as well. Looks like 55s are bad ju ju in my jungle! 🙂

ZmanWakeForest 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 115
    • Overall: 135

Have you tried going heavier than 62 in the Wyndham 1:9?  If you want some heavier ones, I’d be willing to send you some to see your results in that 1:9!

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I thank you for the thought. I’ve just got some 69gr Sierra HPBT. Will be loading some tomorrow afternoon so I think I’m covered for the moment. Don’t want to get too long of bullet that prevents magazine use.  The Windham did really well with 60gr V-MAX.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Hey, if you’re happy, that’s all that matters. Glad you got it going!

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

Interesting I have a rifle to build for the wife and ordered her a 1:8 barrel – will post back after I get figure out all the bits and assemble and test it.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

The 8″ twist for ARs in 5.56/223 flavor was/is intended for match bullets of 68 to 85 gr in the 2500 – 2800 fps range.  Most lighter weight bullets are thinner jacketed and intended for explosiveness on small varmints.  At velocities above 2700 – 2800 fps they bulge or fly apart because of the extreme RPM which is the cause of poor accuracy.  Those bullets that do hold together do so because they have thick jackets.  That means the terminal explosiveness you may desire or want won’t be there, especially at longer ranges.

I suggest trying the Sierra 55 gr Blitz Kings (not to be confused with the very thin jacketed 55 gr Blitz bullets).  They have performed well in a couple 8 and 9″ twist ARs I’ve worked with.  Start low and work up.  Accuracy will go south when/if the bullet can not hold up to the RPM.

Larry Gibson

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Oddly enough, bulk purchase Hornady 55gr SPBT with a moderate load of anything appropriate for this cartridge is a great shooter. My iron sighted weapon will place three in a 1.75″~2″ circle merely aiming 6 o’clock at 100m on a good day and I can see well enough to make it happen. My right eye will, on occasion, blurr at times. I then shift to southpaw. The left eye is clear and also the dominant eye.

FYI: I despise scopes and cannot/will not use them.

But in the time I’ve had this weapon I have been able to shoot quite well with the Hornady 55 SPBT at distance out to 160m [extent of my range] with livable results. Bullet did well enough to drop a 250# boar hog last month. Guess its working good enough.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 219

Boath my ars shot decent with the 55 gr Hornady SPBT. The Hornady 55 gr fmj didint shoot as good in my 1/9 and 1/7 ars

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You got it. It took awhile to find a 55gr that worked. The BTSP was the winner. Odd how the FMJ stinks in a 1:8″ bore huh?</p>
    Handloading; its an adventure in every load!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.