This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Goodsteel 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I hate to come across like an ultra cheap bottom feeder, but the truth does leak out occasionally.

So these bullets by Hornady and Sierra are the cheapest 30 caliber projectiles available and I buy them all the time for the M1A and the 300 BLK pistol because even though they shoot like garbage, if you’re going to practice rappidly engaging multiple targets at close range, they hurt less than throwing target bullets downrange haphazardly.

However, I got to thinking, what would these bullets do on a coyote or something? Could I make them a little more effective by hollow pointing them? Last night Natalie and I loaded up a few hundred 300BLK and I took the libery of drilling a few of them with the Forster 1/16 HP drill.

Now these bullets are hollow points, they just don’t have the hole yet, so once I got through the tip it was an empty plunge for about .075 till I hit lead again. No small wonder, that makes a better COG on the bullet. However, looking at the construction, they have a lead core that is crimped with a cannelure, and I wonder if they would mushroom well on game or varmints, or just come apart.

Have any of you tried this? Larry?

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

I have not tried any 147/150 fmj’s HP’d.  I have however shot a couple thousand of the SKS/AK 123 gr bullets that were HPs.  They had been pulled from combloc 7.62×39 ammo.  I had several thousand I acquired in a trade some years back.  I load them in LC 7.62 cases over data 2200 powder to just over 2800 fps for use in my FR8 reconfigured into a scout rifle.  I have not shot any coyotes with them yet but have shot numerous rock chucks and ‘bits.  I found a bit difference between the steel jacketed and copper jacketed bullets.  The steel jacketed HPs killed better than similar fmj’s but not by much.  The copper jacketed did very well.  They weren’t quite as effective as Speer 130 HPs but the HP wasn’t as big as the Speer’s either. Obviously in those smaller critters I didn’t recover any bullets.

You might get about 18 t0 20″ of sopping wet newsprint and with an identical load shoot a 150 SP into it and then one of your HPs and compare the results; penetration, expansion and damage caused.  That will give a good idea of potential effectiveness on larger game.

Larry Gibson

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

At one point I took a muzzle loader, a (CVA SxS .50) and harvested a 4 point buck with my own .45acp hardball HP’ed with a lathe center drill.

Shot it out of a .45/.50 sabot.

I did not recover the bullet, but it did pass all the way thru, and left bigger than it went in.

He went down like a sack of potatoes, and stayed there.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Thanks for the advice Larry. I was actually thinking of doing that very thing, but wondered if it was worth it. Sounds like it is.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.