Larry Gibson
Participant
  • Gold
  • ★★★
  • Comments: 507
  • Overall: 562
  • Gold

Excellent find. I bedded several of those years back and it greatly improved the accuracy. I found the key was to shim the barrel in the channel ahead of where it starts to taper so when the front action screw was tightened the action stated level in it’s bedding. I also removed the barrel pressure point in the front of the barrel channel to free float the barrel. With that done I then bedded the entire action along with the part of the barrel that was not tapered in front of the action. I used either Brownell’s Steel Bed or Micro-Bed (no longer available:() . I just snugged the front action screw up so the recoil lug was aligned and in place and the rest of the action and barrel was held with bands as goodsteel does it. When the bed job was complete the action screws then pulled the barreled action straight down and back w/o the tipping and binding as was typical of those Rugers. When done the several rifles I bedded and also did trigger jobs on all shot moa or better (.308Ws, a couple ’06s, a 270 and a sweet 257 R).

Larry Gibson

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.