Goodsteel
Keymaster
  • Gold
  • ★★★
  • Comments: 2452
  • Overall: 2660

Reg;n11955 wrote: Not to hi jack the thread but I would like to see more discussion / information on this subject of bearing length,
A couple of years back I had a good example of what it might be at least in the situation that I was in.
It involved a Low Wall Winchester in 218 Bee. The barrel had been relined and I can’t tell you much about where it came from or who put it in.
While working up loads I found it really liked the Hornaday V Max # 22252, groups were better than I had hoped for but alas, I only had the one box and at the time it didn’t look like any more were forthcoming at least for some time. This was all during our last materials shortage.
I was making up some home made .22 cal bullets using fired .22 RF cases at the time and since the Hornaday was a 35 grain I thought why not make up some of my home brews in the same weight. They shot OK but nothing like the Hornaday.
Scratching my head I wondered what the difference could be and finally came down it might have been the bearing length. Adjusting this to produce the same bearing length ( nose profile was different ) gave a 40 grain bullet as compared to a 35 grain.
I did have to adjust the load ( reduce ) a bit but from the first firing the 40 grainers shot every bit as well as the 35’s.
Now there were two other factors involved, powder charge and nose profile, but at 100 yds the final groups produced were identical. My thoughts are that the bearing length was the accuracy factor here.
What say you ?????

I agree completely.
The nose and powder determines how fast you get there and how quickly your bullet slows down in flight.
The squareness of the base is what determines the precision possible, and if that base is crossing the crown at varying angles, your precision will be for shit. The base squareness is completely dependent on how straight your bullet enters the barrel, and to a certain point, that is completely dependent on whether you have enough bearing surface for the bullet to right itself while it’s being engraved and start running parrelell to the bore in the first place.

It does not surprise me that your swaged bullets were heavier than the Hornady. Made from 22lr brass, your jacket is super thin and you’ve got more lead in there than Hornady does, even given bullets of identical profile.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.