6bg6ga
Participant
  • Bronze
  • Comments: 7
  • Overall: 7

First of all the sizers I mentioned work on the principal of sizing, lubing and pushing the bullet thru the die in one operation. Every die I have I have made custom for me by lathesmith. I specify the diameter, number of lube holes and the lube hole location. These dies are round and true as they are turned on a lathe and then hardened afterwards. These are the only type of sizing dies that will produce a true round sized bullet. There are other sizers out there that work on the principal of putting the bullet in the die moving the lever and manually removing the bullet from the sizing die. These unfortunately for the most part do not produce a round bullet. I have at my disposal a set of precision pin gauges, micrometers, verniers, and I could continue with the items I have on hand. The idea of trying to lap a finished hardened sizing die causes a grin to appear on my face. If I have learned anything in my 20 years in a factory its to do things correctly. Need a different size die? Have one made. If you do succeed in altering the diameter of your sizing die then you also made it softer and prone to rapid wear. Someone mentioned a mic graduated in .0001…… that works for me but still you have to be smart enough to use the tools in front of you and most aren’t. Telling someone they need to purchase a micrometer is well kind of foolish. Inability to operate the tool in a manor that will yeald the proper results is rather stupid in my opinion. Its kinda like giving your kid a Vernier caliper and letting them measure OAL of your finished loaded ammunition. The result will yeald a number of different inaccurate answers. My opinion still is that the average person is incapable of the operation of a mic and is better off taking the bullets that need checked to someone capable of doing so. What I recommended in a prior post of using simple observation may be far better for most than investing in a DECENT micrometer. Got sizing contact all the way around your bullets after sizing? If so the bullet is round and if not the bullet isn’t round. At this point if a problem is apparent a trip to a machine shop is in order. Most can setup your mold and take laser measurements that will pinpoint the problem and when armed with this information you have something to take to the manufacturer and let them know there is a problem.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.