Glenn
Participant
  • Silver
  • ★★
  • Comments: 223
  • Overall: 266

Now it will be hard and flexible and ready to finish.

When I heat treat, I put one of the scraps that I cut off into the forge and treat it the same as the blade.  After it’s quenched the steel’s structure is called Martensite.  It’s very hard and fragile and has a very small grain structure.  It’s now that I take the scrap piece, put it in the vise and break it.  It should leave a sharp clean edge and the inside will look frosted.  This tells you that the heat and quench worked.  Put the scrap piece into the toaster oven with the blade to temper it.  Tempering will round off the corners of the Martensite crystal structure and give the steel some flexibility, while still maintaining most of the hardness.  After the first hour, take both pieces out and try to break the scrap piece again.  It will flex quite Abit, but will probably break.  Put it back in for another hour and repeat, this time it shouldn’t break.  Now you have “tempered Martensite”

Now it’s back to the belt sander to finish grinding the bevels and clean off the scale.  Go slow and don’t over heat the steel, dip in water often.  I now switch to finer belts, ending in 600 grit, then sometimes the buffer.

Epoxy the handles and pins on, sharpen and it’s ready.

Anybody else feel free to jump in if I forgot something important.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.